I've f%$#& had it with brakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff,

I believe the calipers I have are the sames as yours & the pads will fit (although mine has good ones with about 1k on them in there, EBC or similar from Z1 though for about $45 not gold plated ones like yours )

I think Suzuki used exactly the same calipers on all bike from 80 on up until the 1150. The only thing that changed was colours.

You can see them reasonably well in this cheesy pic..

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Haha! Great shot!

No, the calipers are different on the 1100s. Where your calipers have a boxey oval where the piston retracts, ours is round. Check the photo in this auction:

According to EBC, the 1100s and the 1000s (except for G) share pads. But the Gs from 80 share with the Gs from 82-83.

Anyway, I was just wondering why the Gs had a different model, no worries as long as it bolts on and works with my rotors =D

I'll take this to PM since we're conversing in two different places right now...

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
        Holy $hit. $100 for four pins. I'd pass, they weren't worn THAT bad (caliper holders are another matter though).
        I thought the same thing. Happened to get extremely lucky (hell, had to tear through my history because I couldn't find it through searching again!). There's two possibilities:

and

If the one is labeled correctly then the one without the #1 designation should be the correct part. I've sent a request to them to get clarification and I'll post again once I get a response.

I'd like to add that every single tip in this article is fantastic. I had gone through all of them (except drowning the system... ?) and came to the same conclusion: the axle pin with the bushing is the problem. I'm currently working towards a high-density elastomer replacement for that bushing for better performance.

Thanks everyone! You all rock!

Gryyphyn, out.

Comment

Anderson vintage parts is bad news!
          De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Originally posted by gryyphyn View Post
            I thought the same thing. Happened to get extremely lucky (hell, had to tear through my history because I couldn't find it through searching again!). There's two possibilities:

and

If the one is labeled correctly then the one without the #1 designation should be the correct part. I've sent a request to them to get clarification and I'll post again once I get a response.

I'd like to add that every single tip in this article is fantastic. I had gone through all of them (except drowning the system... ?) and came to the same conclusion: the axle pin with the bushing is the problem. I'm currently working towards a high-density elastomer replacement for that bushing for better performance.

Gryyphyn, out.
            What “bushing” are you referring to? There is one model of GS caliper where the sliding pins have a plastic collar around the middle, but the type mentioned in this thread do not.
            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Anderson is on the deadbeat list

Originally posted by gryyphyn View Post

and

Gryyphyn, out.

Comment

I have been through similar agonies.

I finally figured out that air was getting in through the low-quality crush washers from the local cycle shoppe. They were selling these dangerous pieces of junk for $1 each.

I ordered up a batch of 100 crush washers from Spiegler (a quarter each at the time; dunno what they would charge nowadays), and the problem was solved on the first try. A nice even "squisssssshhh" when I tightened the banjo bolt, and nary a problem since.

You can also get good crush washers from Dennis Kirk:

Aluminum (my preference, since I don't wash my bikes very often...):
                Dennis Kirk has been the leader in Powersports aftermarket parts and accessories since 1969. Over 160,000 unique items in stock & ready to ship today.

Copper:
                Dennis Kirk has been the leader in Powersports aftermarket parts and accessories since 1969. Over 160,000 unique items in stock & ready to ship today.

The local cycle shoppe was also selling the junkiest, most hateful banjo bolts I've ever seen. I ended up cleaning up the stock banjos and using them.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

As a recap of sorts to this thread, the main problem with Jeff’s brakes turned out to be the crappy K&L aftermarket caliper piston seals were not allowing the pistons to properly self align – seals were binding the pistons and forcing the pistons to sit too far from the disc. Chef Bill figured out the problem at Salty Monk’s (Dan’s) Southwest Rally last spring. Last I heard Jeff replaced the seals with OE caliper seals and his brakes are okay now.

This particular model of brake caliper is prone to wear on the pins (which are expensive) and inside the caliper hanger bore, which is a discontinued part. Many times this wear goes unknown to the user but it can show with the same symptoms as described here; a spongy feeling brake lever. My 1000S brakes had the characteristic wear so I bought some low mileage 1100E calipers (for the hanger bracket) and some new pins off ebay for a good price. The brakes now work as they should.

Bottom line is to say away from K&L brake system parts and grease those caliper sliding pins before they cause expensive/discontinued parts to wear.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Actually, I haven't replaced the seals yet, but that was in fact the problem. For some reason the piston was just never able to reach the rotor... always bound up.

Bill and Ed and I ended up taking the caliper off in the middle of the damn forest. Luckily someone had some extra brake fluid. Bill had a large metal stake and a rock and I guess it scared the piston into complying Actually, if I recall correctly, we just kept pumping until the piston came out a smidgeon, and then we put it back on the caliper and continued to bleed and pump until the brake pad met the caliper. It didn't retract back to the bad spot so we were aok for the rest of the week

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                      Actually, I haven't replaced the seals yet, but that was in fact the problem. For some reason the piston was just never able to reach the rotor... always bound up.

Bill and Ed and I ended up taking the caliper off in the middle of the damn forest. Luckily someone had some extra brake fluid. Bill had a large metal stake and a rock and I guess it scared the piston into complying Actually, if I recall correctly, we just kept pumping until the piston came out a smidgeon, and then we put it back on the caliper and continued to bleed and pump until the brake pad met the caliper. It didn't retract back to the bad spot so we were aok for the rest of the week
                      AAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Yeah I also forgot to mention the amount of brake fluid that ended up on Bill's pants. Sorry bill

Comment

Originally posted by J_C View Post
                          Yeah I also forgot to mention the amount of brake fluid that ended up on Bill's pants. Sorry bill
                          No worries. If my clothes didn't have some sort of stain my wife may be happy with me.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                            What “bushing” are you referring to? There is one model of GS caliper where the sliding pins have a plastic collar around the middle, but the type mentioned in this thread do not.
                            You're right, I'm not. The calipers look similar but mine are off an 80GL. I did find the bushings though, after I ordered the replacement pin and *it didn't have them*. It's stock zook parts, straight from the factory, but they don't include the bushings. Had to make the (terrible) parts guy search other years with the same brakes to find they only listed it as a separate bushing on the 82GL.

Ordered 4 of the things. I'm *not* going through that again.

I'll post the part number later for reference if anyone is interested. If anyone has access to fiche it's the 80-82 GL, caliper axle #2 and 'bushing, caliper', listed as pt. 11 on the fiche.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the great advice. If anyone is in the area I'll (hopefully) be at the first get-together in Idaho in March. Can't remember the location, will post it if I can find the info. Would be great to meet some of the other members.

Gryyphyn, out.

Comment

Working...
                            X