Miss January

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asiafish View Post
    Not the same color, mine is almost black.
    Ah, yep.
    I was thinking it just looked black becuse bike was posed was in the shade (with bright background affecting camera settings).

Okay, yep, is black. And now that I think if it, we had discussed that back a few months ago. THe black 1980 850G seems to be not as common as the red (maroon) ones like I had and the couple others that I have seen.

Congratulations again on being selected BOM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Congrats...

Comment

Wow,
        Truly a nice bike, hard to believe you got it in that condition, buy it one week, bike of the month the next, I should be so lucky. You probably at least washed it though. Get that oil leak fixed!
        Congrats
        sigpic
        Steve
        "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by sedelen View Post
          Wow,
          Truly a nice bike, hard to believe you got it in that condition, buy it one week, bike of the month the next, I should be so lucky. You probably at least washed it though. Get that oil leak fixed!
          Congrats

Thanks.

I submitted the pic back in June, almost 7-months-ago. Since then, I've had the seat redone by Bill Mayer in Ojai, CA, preserving the original trim rails and grab handle, but custom fitting it to my body and riding style (the original cover was badly ripped and the foam in sorry shape). The oil leak has been fixed, the electrical system completely redone and finally I added some fork gators, a throttle lock (cruise control) and a small windscreen.

As it currently sits, I consider it pretty close to the ultimate retro-touring bike, and have put close to 6,000 miles on it.

Comment

Truly a very nice bike.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." Benjamin Franklin, 1759

Comment

What a beauty! Nice find.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Great looking bike! Envious of you for having the original blue plate. I live 2hrs. north of you in Merced. Well, make that 2.5hrs.

Comment

Originally posted by Maddog209 View Post
                  Great looking bike! Envious of you for having the original blue plate. I live 2hrs. north of you in Merced. Well, make that 2.5hrs.
                  Merced? We need to go for a ride. Meet in the middle near Visalia and then up into Sequioa perhaps?

Comment

Thanks.

I submitted the pic back in June, almost 7-months-ago. Since then, I've had the seat redone by Bill Mayer in Ojai, CA, preserving the original trim rails and grab handle, but custom fitting it to my body and riding style (the original cover was badly ripped and the foam in sorry shape). The oil leak has been fixed, the electrical system completely redone and finally I added some fork gators, a throttle lock (cruise control) and a small windscreen.

As it currently sits, I consider it pretty close to the ultimate retro-touring bike, and have put close to 6,000 miles on it.
                    I don't see any suspension upgrades on the list. Most here would highly recommend getting some Progressive or Sonic springs for the for the forks and even if money is tight at least a set of the MDI/Emgo shock/spring sets for the back. Do it for safety if nothing else. Nice bike by the way--best of breed for the 850 IMO.
                    Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                    80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                      I don't see any suspension upgrades on the list. Most here would highly recommend getting some Progressive or Sonic springs for the for the forks and even if money is tight at least a set of the MDI/Emgo shock/spring sets for the back. Do it for safety if nothing else. Nice bike by the way--best of breed for the 850 IMO.
                      Believe it or not, the rear shocks feel quite good. I've got preload on the softest setting and rebound up at 4. My last GS850 (a 1982 bought new in 1987) was extremely still in the rear, so I'm thinking 37,000 miles was just the ticket to break it in.

The front still has the stock springs, but I've got a two inch shim that stiffened it nicely, along with heavier oil slightly over-filled.

I initially planned on putting progressive springs in the forks, but I'm satisfied with the handling as is. I also prefer to stay with the stock shocks and will likely have them rebuilt next year, rather than after market. I will also buy a stock seat, just to have everything needed to return the bike to completely stock.

Next upgrade is braided steel brake lines.

Comment

Congratulations, fish! I've said it before, that's a sweet ride!!
                        Brian

Comment

What a delightful surprise, my bike is Miss January!!! Here is a newer pic. Looking back at the archives, it also appears that my bike is the first ever shaftie voted BOM.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2026846_n.jpg
                          Yes, very nice bike. My own GS850G 1979 (acquired 8 mths ago) has a long way to go to look as nice. My mission though is to sort all the mechanical issues then do the cosmetics. Going to take a little more time ( and money )

Comment

Originally posted by etpetnel View Post
                            Yes, very nice bike. My own GS850G 1979 (acquired 8 mths ago) has a long way to go to look as nice. My mission though is to sort all the mechanical issues then do the cosmetics. Going to take a little more time ( and money )
                            But yours has a kickstarter!!

Comment

Stator, AGGGH

Replaced my stator and R/R about 3-months-ago, and the new one is now failing. Tested amperage at the three phases and two of them are grounded (shouldn't be). 11.96 volts at idle, 13.04 volts at 4000 RPM, or in other words, a gradual discharge.

Oh well, new Electrosport stator is coming in UPS today and hopefully will be the end of my electrical woes.

Comment

That is really great bike, its looking awesome, its front and side looking very nice, I like that bike, thanks for sharing nice pic of your bike.

Comment

Working...
                                X