One cylinder not firing when cold???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One cylinder not firing when cold???

Hi I have 1978 gs850 with the old mikuni carbs.

The problem I'm having is that when I start the bike the number 3cylinder is not working, the reason I know this is that when I touch the exhaust on that cylinder it is not hot while the other exhaust pipes are burning melting hot. I don't know if this is a carb problem or an electric problem but here is what I did to try to fix it.

I took the carbs completely appart and cleaned every passage and replaced all orings and needless, basically they are in brand new condition. I also replaced sparkplugs.

My question is does anyone know what my problem could be?? Also when I have the chocke on and I try to give the bike any gas it will die, all my other bikes liked to have more gas when cold but this one will die anytime I twist the throttle, don't know if that could be related. Help please.....

Make sure the copper choke tube that goes in the float bowl is clear.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Is number 3 getting good spark? how was the bike running before? what do you have your air and fuel mixture screws set to?
      Rob
      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

What corner of the world do you call "home" that you have a '78 850?

They were introduced to the US market as a '79, but rumor has it they were available elsewhere a bit earlier.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does the pipe eventually get hot when you go for a ride?
          How does it run after a long ride?
          Did you ensure the fuel passages in the bowls themselves (fuel feed to the enrichment circuit) were clear?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Hi,

Is the airbox installed with a clean, very lightly oiled air filter?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hi, the bike has a stock air box, stock pipes, everything on the bike is stock and original. The number 3 cylinder does get hot after a while and runs fine, but sometime it tends to smoke a lot out of that exhaust, but I guess that could just be valve seals. But not sure on what I can do to make this bike run right. I have had problems on other suzuki gs bikes with the one cylinder not heating up and I can't ever solve this problem. any help would be great on this

Comment

Two questions:

1. Which one are you calling "#3"? The cylinders are numbered from left to right as you sit on the bike.
                That means that #1 is under your clutch hand and #4 is under your throttle hand.

2. Have you cleaned the carbs? A clogged enrichener tube ("choke") would prevent proper operation while cold.
                If not the enrichener tube, the pilot circuit could be clogged.
                Both scenarios are cured by proper cleaning of the carbs and installation of new o-rings.

sigpic
                mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

the cylinder is #3 from the left. I have cleaned the carbs two times now. I had the bodies completely apart every part was taken apart and cleaned, I blew compressed air through all of the passages.

WHere are the enrichement tubes located. and where is the pilot circuit located? I will try to check that.

Comment

Originally posted by 00. View Post
                    the cylinder is #3 from the left. I have cleaned the carbs two times now. I had the bodies completely apart every part was taken apart and cleaned, I blew compressed air through all of the passages.

WHere are the enrichement tubes located. and where is the pilot circuit located? I will try to check that.
                    Is the petcock vacuum hose connected to this #3 carb? If so, petcock might be leaking down this hose causing the # 3 plug to foul until bike runs for a while.
                    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Had a similar problem on my '79 GS1000E. When I choked it No. 1 cylinder's header wouldn't heat up, at least not like the others, until I backed off the choke then it would warm right up. Bike ran good afterwards and otherwise.
                      I just recently changed my old stock exhaust to a newer set of stock exhaust and the problem seems to have diminished or dissapeared altogether. Very puzzling. Think my old exhaust had too much carbon
                      build up in it, restricting air flow, noticed that when I removed them.
                      sigpic
                      Steve
                      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
                        Is the petcock vacuum hose connected to this #3 carb? If so, petcock might be leaking down this hose causing the # 3 plug to foul until bike runs for a while.
                        Yes, the vacuum port is on the #3 carb on the VMs

Test your petcock, see if there's any gas in the vacuum line
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Ok I will check the petcock, this is something I have not done yet. The exhaust being carboned up is strange but I gues could have some effect. I supprised not more people have the problem with one pipe not heating up. I have had this happen on a few gs bikes now and can't ever solve the damn problem.

Comment

i have a 81 gs with the same problem only on number 1 cylinder when cold when i was cleaning the carbs i accidently broke a torch tip cleaner that i was using 2 clean out the enrichment tubes off in the bottom of the tube had no way of getting it out just left it for now no problems running after bike warms up for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by 70ronzdart View Post
                              i have a 81 gs with the same problem only on number 1 cylinder when cold when i was cleaning the carbs i accidently broke a torch tip cleaner that i was using 2 clean out the enrichment tubes off in the bottom of the tube had no way of getting it out just left it for now no problems running after bike warms up for a bit
                              Hi,

How To Clean The Carbs Properly <<Click.

Feel free to post an introductory thread in the "GS Owners" section. You'll receive a TON of good information in your welcome package.

Then start a new thread of your own in one of the tech sections instead of hijacking someone else's thread. That way you can receive specialized information regarding your particular issue and there will be no confusion as to which advice is meant for which poster.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                              X