GS1000 Wes Cooley Replica (Almost done)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1000 Wes Cooley Replica (Almost done)

This is my 1978 GS1000. I don't think it's too bad for a budget build.

Within my budget, I'd like to put another exhaust (Yoshi, or Yoshi knock off), find some decent rear shocks with reservoirs, replace the front rotors and do the GS1100 swing arm swap out, it's just hard to find the parts.

Very nice. Giving me some ideas.
    Gonna race her?
    '80 GS1000ST
    '92 ZX-11
    Past rides: '79 GS1000SN, '84 GPZ900R

http://totalrider.com/

Comment

Looks really nice as is...

Comment

Fracking sweet that is.
        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Looks great! Give it time. These projects don't need to be finished on any timeline. Gather your parts and put it together as you want it a bit at a time.

Well done so far!

Comment

Very nice!
            Did you do the paintwork yourself?
            Are you in Ontario?
            Oh yeah...welcome to the site.
            2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Thanks for the replys.

I bought the bike bobbed with the engine, rear cowling and tank painted by a Mike Padilla in Orange, CA. He did a lot of the basic work.

I rebuilt the top-end, CR Specials and brakes, rewired the electrical system, dropped in an Eurosport stator and recitifer, added the front faring, bobbed the front fender, and repainted the bike myself. In Covina, CA I had the seat upolstered with leather from an old couch.

Recently, because I've been away on business, I found a guy in Greenville, WI named Charlie Lamb who buffed out the bike and wrapped the header. He does good work and took that photo to show me how well it cleaned up.

I'll be back in town Tuesday and can't wait to go for a ride.

I moved from SoCal to Wisconsin last year and would like to take it out on Road America if they have an open day one day but other than that, no racing That thing is 34 years old!
              Last edited by Guest; 04-15-2012, 09:36 AM.

Comment

Very nicely done. That bike looks very authentic, right down to the bobbed front fender. Have to agree on the pipe swap, though, a Yosh would be the cherry on top. Maybe Vmass would part with one of the NOS ones he has..
                1979 GS1000S,

1982 Honda CX500 Turbo, 1982 Honda MB5 w/CR80 motor, 1977 Honda "nekid" Goldwing, 1976 Honda CB550F cafe', 1972 Honda XL250 cafe'

Comment

Sweet bike!!!

Get rid of the chrome can and it would be even sweeter.

Eric
                  Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2012, 11:51 PM.

Comment

I completely agree about getting rid of the chrome pipe and as soon as I can I will. It's hard to find something that looks authentic for our GS machines... not so for those dime a dozen Hondas for some reason.

I like attention to detail and am gonna change the decal on the tank to Bel-Ray and find a vintage ND plugs decal for front fender.

When I get home this week I'll take some more shots of her and post 'em here.

Comment

Very nice work!!

Comment

So, Avon Roadriders are the recommended tires?

Comment

This is what the bike look liked when I bought it. Sharp and clean with a lot of the basic work done. Great job Mike.

This is what the bike looked like before the RFY shocks... they work great btw...

After the RFY shocks... they work great btw...

Adding the GS1000 Swingarms... just needed a couple of washers to realign the shocks...
                          Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2012, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Here is the bike current to today 4/9/2012

Comment

Looks absolutely stunning!
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X