No announcement yet.

Top 10 Favorite Tools you have or use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A toaster oven so I don't have to stink up the house when I force cure paint.I like doing that because I NEVER let paint dry properly.Got that tip from azr.
    But the best tool bar none is the one between your ears.Know when to take a break if a problem gets frustrating,let your subconscious work on it.When you get back the answer is obvious,well a lot of times anyway.

Comment

Mine are ;
      T handled metric allens
      metric ratcheting wrenches
      My Handy lift
      caliper
      JIS screw drivers
      Ultra sonic cleaner
      My shop
      and GSR
      1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
      80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
      1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
      83 gs750ed- first new purchase
      85 EX500- vintage track weapon
      1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
      “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
      If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Automotive related tools

Air compressor
        Impact wrench
        BFH
        Floor jack
        Volt meters
        Various socket sets
        Screwdrivers
        Dial calipers
        Wire strippers
        4" grinder
        Pry bars
        Last edited by rustybronco; 08-08-2013, 08:48 AM.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Gentle persuader....

works for all jobs - big or small!

Comment

Forgot about that one. Good call.
            Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Good call on the digital calipers -- they're accurate enough to measure unknown shims.

Even better, Harbor Freight now sells a very nice digital micrometer -- about $30 with coupon. Dead-nuts accuracy, and no pesky conversions from inch to metric.

Other things to add along the lines of "persuasion":

- Rubber mallet. The even gentler persuader. I keep two or three around because they get used daily.

- Large copper hammer. Great for persuading bearing races into place without marring the steel. I didn't even know I needed this until I inherited one.

- Bearing and seal driver set from Harbor Freight. Made from aluminum so it won't mar bearings. Much more civilized than pounding on sockets.

- Assortment of nylon prybars -- also excellent for gentle persuasion without damage.

"Universal" Spares:

- Large collection of metric hardware, mostly stainless.

- Large assortments of Buna-N metric and inch o-rings.

- Viton o-rings for intake boots to fit most GS models.

- Assortments of cotter pins, roll pins, e-clips, etc. Have saved the day and a trip to the hardware store many times.

- Aluminum, steel, and stainless bar stock for making brackets and suchlike.

- Assorted PVC, steel, aluminum tubing, mostly used for making fork spring spacers.

One EXTREMELY useful category I forgot above:

- Left-handed drill bits. Incredibly effective on stuck fasteners -- most of the time, the fastener will "catch" on the bit and unscrew itself, usually just before the head pops off. Believe it or not, Harbor Freight sells a VERY high-quality set of lefties. No idea how or why -- their regular drill bits are horrible. You can also get lefties individually from McMaster-Carr.
              Last edited by bwringer; 08-08-2013, 09:54 AM.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

All the normal tools go without saying, so I'll list some I never really knew how valuable they are until I got them:

Heat gun- I could not survive without one
                Real drifts- wow, what a difference to use a real drift instead of a big screwdriver
                Step bits- expensive, but amazingly worth it
                A good set of snap ring pliers- so much more superior to cheap ones
                Strap wrenches- useful in a lot of ways
                Allen bolt sockets, both bondhus and straight- sometimes the straight wrenches are useless
                A good fuel siphon- I don't miss the occasional mouthful of gasoline
                Mity-vac tools- awesome for bleeding brakes by yourself but also a ton of other uses
                Currently bikeless
                '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Not exactly a tool, but a zinc plating kit from Caswell's Plating proves indispensable while rebuilding GS's. Can clean and replate a small batch of hardware in about 20 mins. start to finish.

Last edited by Nessism; 08-08-2013, 11:05 AM.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Definitely some interesting responses on this thread. I read through them, agreeing with most and appreciative of a few as well. One item that I didn't see though was a pair of safety glasses. I'll admit that I rarely wear them but keep a pr in my box and have reached for them on occasion. Stains or pits on the lenses offer a sober testament to their worth.
                    Willie
                    Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                    '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                    '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                    '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

As Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force, "A man's gotta know his limitations". I know that anything other than basic routine maintenance is beyond my abilities! Therefore, this is my favourite tool!

IBA# 12860
                      Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                      1984 KZ1100R
                      2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                      2011 Concours 1400

Comment

Originally posted by eddie21 View Post
                        As Harry Callahan said in Magnum Force, "A man's gotta know his limitations". I know that anything other than basic routine maintenance is beyond my abilities! Therefore, this is my favourite tool!

Rob takes credit cards ???
                        Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                        1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                          Yes, he does, but he doesn't give them back.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

a Clean drop-sheet to catch parts. Not a tool as such and many things serve the purpose, but REMEMBERING to do this first, on the roadside, or even on the shop floor where things dropped bounce away into spider holes... has been the first "tool" out of the bag.
                            I sure agree with the heat-gun and a decent pair of cir-clip removers,and these: as posted by CharlieG

the one I got for $10 at Canadian Tire also cmme with a sockets and many other drive heads (that incidentally I can use in my impact driver too!)

and some reminders for my list are here!

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
                              Ha ha! I use the card to buy him the beer that keeps him focused!
                              IBA# 12860
                              Iron Butt SS1000 & BB1500
                              1984 KZ1100R
                              2008 Kawasaki KLR650
                              2011 Concours 1400

Comment

My favorite tools....ones that work like they were designed too.
                                sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                                1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                                2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                                X