No announcement yet.

To KLR or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make sure you haunt the "Flea Market" over at ADVrider.com -- some of the best deals are found there, and that crowd obviously knows what things are worth, so there's not much BS. If you've narrowed down your list, you can often post a WTB (Want To Buy) ad and get good results.

Also, have you encountered http://www.bikefinds.com/ ? Incredible resource for finding dual-sports and dirtbikes. Mostly CrackList listings, but it'll find great stuff in small-town Craigslists that you'd never find otherwise.

Bikefinds is how I found my KLR650, and I got a great deal on it.
    Last edited by bwringer; 08-25-2014, 11:44 AM.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Here's an '06 DR650 in Chesterton Indiana with aftermarket exhaust, seat, and what looks like a Vapor instrument replacement for $3k.
      IBA# 24077
      '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
      '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
      '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Or, if you want to go to the other end of the dual sport spectrum.........Aprilia RXV450.

450cc V-twin, street legal with electric start.
        IBA# 24077
        '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
        '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
        '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Nardy View Post
          Or, if you want to go to the other end of the dual sport spectrum.........Aprilia RXV450.

450cc V-twin, street legal with electric start.
          Crikey, I didn't think those ever made it to the US in street-legal form!
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I have no reason to rush, I will know the bike when I see it............I think.
            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Yes, you should most definitely KLR.

Yes, you should KLR

I bought my Pig (I use that term with the utmost amount of affection) in Feb of 2008. It is an '02, and had a mere 3600 miles on the clocks when I bought it.

ZERO problems, and the bike is pushing 50,000 miles. No oil usage.

MUST FIX issues?

-the "doohickey". Engine balancer lever & spring. Do not buy a kit from anyone other than "Eagle Mike". It costs about $140.00ish for ALL the parts (new lever, spring, gaskets and rotor bolt) and the tools (including rotor wrench and rotor puller). Easily done by yourself in your garage in a couple hours. I recommend the kit which uses the "torsion spring".

See here: http://www.eaglemike.com/Complete-le...ols-clkwts.htm

Eagle Mike has tons of other great KLR bits as well.

If you're gonna do much off road, a good aluminum bashplate and bark busters/hand guards are a must.

-The radiator has no side protection, and is therefore very vulnerable to a left side drop. Several manufacturers make a brace.

A couple months after I purchased my KLR, I set off for Alaska and Canada....10,000 miles and not a hiccup. I left on a fresh oil/filter change, took a spare filter and I changed the oil a couple times in Walmart parking lots along the way. I have ridden my KLR EVERYWHERE.

I prefer the "1st generation" KLRs (pre '08). A bit (roughly 25lbs) lighter, better off road manners than the '08-current bikes. The earlier bikes had some front end stability issues at highway speeds sometimes because the the wonky square front fender. I mounted up a KX450F front fender and voila. Problem solved. I have taken my KLR lots of places I probably shouldn't have, but the Pig ate it up with relative aplomb. Has never left me stranded or stuck.

If you get one for mostly commuting and you'll be running at Interstate speeds for an extended period, I'd recommend a 16 tooth counter sprocket (or drop 3 teeth on the rear sprocket for the same effect.) Keeping the bike below 5K will help reduce oil consumption on long trips.

Playing in the sand of the UP in Michigan for the first time. Took awhile to get the hang of such a heavy bike in the sand.

King's Highway north of Charleston, SC

Zooming along a back road...

Columbia Ice fields, Jasper Nat'l Park in Alberta:

Poker Creek, AK...northern most Border crossing into the US.

Outskirts of Dawson City, Yukon Territory in Canada

The official theme song for the KLR is "Wherever I May Roam".....
              Last edited by Cassius086; 08-27-2014, 03:08 PM.
              Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Watching a nicely farkled one on Ebay now, a few hours away...............

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Did someone mention the "Top of the World Highway"?

I don't need no stinking KLR.

Ribbing aside. The KLR is in my opinion a very good adventure bike.

In my mind it's like a jeep in 1944. Simple, no nonsenses, adequate strength, can do attitude.

Probably my next bike....I need one that is broken-in, cheap and I have to decide on size....I'll know when I see it.
                  Last edited by Highway_Glider; 10-25-2014, 10:45 AM.
                  Daniel

1973 Honda ST90
                  1983 Suzuki GS1100GK

Comment

The one I was watching sold early, the search continues.....

Where I've been Riding

Comment

The trigger has been pulled. This followed me home today.

2002 with a long list of upgrades.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Enjoy, Scott!
                        Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
                        '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

The color photographs lighter than it is. It is almost an Army Desert camo Tan in person. It is growing on me...

Where I've been Riding

Comment

I'm buying one this coming year. One of the best jacks of all trades. Few of us can outride our moderate machines anyway.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

One of us, one of us, gooble gobble...

Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

Welcome to the club!
                              Eat more venison.

Comment

Went by the Sheriff's office for the $5 inspection and bought 6 month worth of Insurance for $17.30 this afternoon. Perhaps the Courthouse tomorrow to apply for the license. One of these days it will warm up..........

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                                X