Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red mystery wire!?

Hello All,

I've been a member for a while, but never posted. Usually I've been able to find what I needed on the forum, or from Basscliff's site. I've had my bike, 1980 GS100GL, for a little over two years now. I've been slowly "rebuilding" it and have run into many issues. Thankfully this forum has been a major help, on most of them.
    While going through the wiring harness I must have disconnected this red cable, and not taken note. If anyone can tell me where this cable goes it would be super helpful.

Thanks,

How I bought it, 2 years ago not running, I know .

The cable bolted to frame.

The other end, not bolted to anything.
    Last edited by Ricardomontoban; 06-25-2015, 10:21 PM. Reason: Photos did not appear
    1980 GS100GL| Work so far: Progressive Springs, Hagon Shocks, Regulator Ground, Shims, Exhaust Gaskets, Rebuilt Carbs w/O-rings, Silicon Gaskets, LED “bulb.”

A ground made with a red wire?

Comment

That's what I thought, but why red, is that common? So I would just connect to my negative battery terminal?
      1980 GS100GL| Work so far: Progressive Springs, Hagon Shocks, Regulator Ground, Shims, Exhaust Gaskets, Rebuilt Carbs w/O-rings, Silicon Gaskets, LED “bulb.”

Comment

Not common or ideal (obviously causes confusion), but you can't underestimate the incompetence of some PO

Comment

Ah, very true. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Is there a black cable connected to the engine for a ground wire? I can't tell on my phone, but the ground wire usually goes to the engine.

Just wondering if that red wire was disconnected from the starter relay and the starter motor, and then "held in place" by bolting it to the frame. Terrible idea, but it is possible....

Comment

This red wire is bolted to a lip on the engine behind the mount. I'm going to check again, but I think the red cable that I have in the solenoid goes to the battery positive, and has a smaller wire coming out of it as well. The red cable just goes to the rear of the engine, which I thought was a grounding point, but was confused by the red.

Comment

It looks like the PO attempted to mark it as a battery ground with that black band. I would check the ring connectors for corrosion and broken wire strands if you are going to use it.
                '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

I'd put a black sleeve over it asap, to avoid any confusion in any circumstances.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                  X