Earl's Brake Line Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Ed.

So on the Z1 Enterprises website, I found this basic banjo thread pitch guide for "most Suzuki models" - this is relevant for brake upgrades, although with their year breakdowns, I highly doubt a 1989 vs 1994 vs 1998 GS500 caliper are going to be different sizes, same as other models that used our popular"twinpot brake mod" Tokico calipers.

Goodridge Fitting Guide - some models do vary- but most adhere to the following:

*Honda All Models 10mm x 1.25
    *Kawasaki All Models 10mm x 1.25
    *Suzuki Pre 1994 Models: Whole Bike: 10mm x 1.0.
    *1994-2001 Models: Front Calipers 10mm x 1.25
    *1994-2001 Models: Front Master Cylinder 10mm x 1.0.
    *1994-2001 Models: Rear Master Cylinder and Rear Caliper 10mm x 1.0.
    *2002- On: Whole Bike 10mm x1.25.
    *Yamaha All Models 10mm x 1.25

And I did have better luck searching for the proper
    0.420" height lightened/concave head stainless double banjo bolt for the popular GS "Twinpot brake mod" parts in the M10-1.25 using Google image search and Google shopping.

Several sellers listing these all as being solely for:
    "M10 x 1.25 Dual Banjo Bolt For Yamaha V-Star XVS 250 650 950 1100 1300"

The concave heads are both lighter weight, & make drilling for safety wire MUCH EASIER. But in stainless, you must drill ever so slowly! It'll work harden significantly with high drilling speed/heat. I found several Titanium double banjos of this variety, already drilled for safety wire, but could not visually confirm that they were the correct fitting height.

Better yet, if needing lightest/strongest corrosion-resistant (TITANIUM!), & pre-drilled for racing regulation required safety wire, these sport bike guys have been very considerate & thorough in their advertising/customer service (& I recall them being local to me in Ohio):

Last edited by Chuck78; 11-28-2019, 04:36 PM.
    sigpic
    '77 GS750
    920cc, 4-1, 1100E swingarm, 18"rims, Fox Shox, twinpot dual disc, VM29, Yosh cams
    '97&'99 Kawasaki KDX220R's rugged terrain rippers
    '74 Rickman VR250MX
    PROJECTS:
    '77 Suzuki PE250 trail beast, ported cyl, RM250C head, Lectron carb?, Fox/RaceTech suspension
    '76 Rickman CR GS1000-1100cc roadracer, Yoshi cams&4-1, RF900R fork, Works Shox
    '77 GS400 489cc, GR650 cams, GS500 fork/brake, DID rims, 1100E swingarm, Fox Shox
    '77 GS550 650-740cc
    '78 GS1000C 1100cc, mods
    '79 GS425 bigbore?

Comment

Summit Racing sells this stuff too. I have been buying more and more stuff from them lately. Price and availability. This stuff hasn't got any less expensive since 2012.
      sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

FWIW, here in Indianapolis we can buy all this stuff over the counter in person at Earl's Indy down in Speedway. Their address is Gasoline Alley, close to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Reasonable pricing with no website headaches, and lots of other racing-related delights as well. I always grab a bunch of genuine Ty-Rap brand zip ties while I'm there. They do have a website, but it's ancient and useless other than obtaining their phone number and address.

I mean, we normally can get this stuff in person. I doubt they're open during The Virus Times. The Indy 500 has been rescheduled for August 23, but there's a ton of motorsports activity, suppliers, and teams around here and Earl's supplies them all.
        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

There's a shop about 45 minutes north of me toward LA, I was thinking of going but I will wait until my bike is together because I want to measure the one from the MC to the splitter, since I am using superbike bend bars rather than the stock ones on my GS1100E. I also want to properly bypass the anti-dive. I thought I'd like to reuse the metal springy protectors from the old lines so they look original, but the new lines will be quite a bit thinner so it probably will not work out.

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          FWIW, here in Indianapolis we can buy all this stuff over the counter in person at Earl's Indy down in Speedway. Their address is Gasoline Alley, close to the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Reasonable pricing with no website headaches, and lots of other racing-related delights as well. I always grab a bunch of genuine Ty-Rap brand zip ties while I'm there. They do have a website, but it's ancient and useless other than obtaining their phone number and address.

I mean, we normally can get this stuff in person. I doubt they're open during The Virus Times. The Indy 500 has been rescheduled for August 23, but there's a ton of motorsports activity, suppliers, and teams around here and Earl's supplies them all.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

I've been able to order two different times using the web, the latest was last year... but probably only because I used links from this thread. The place looks like they built it with the Geocities tool. Great product though!
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

My hoses/fittings arrived today. I will re-use the spring protectors from the stock lines, they come up fine with an acid bath and I had a couple sets to choose the best from. Also will re-use the rubber protective sleeves for stock look. It seems a shame to have to use shrink wrap to tidy up that exposed stainless weave at the ends but I guess that's the way to do it.

Edit: Got them done, all stock stuff on there, can't tell they are aftermarket, which I like. I will block off the anti-dive with a bolt, so no short lines needed.

Last edited by oldGSfan; 05-02-2020, 06:19 PM.
              Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
              '79 GS100E
              Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
                My hoses/fittings arrived today. I will re-use the spring protectors from the stock lines, they come up fine with an acid bath and I had a couple sets to choose the best from. Also will re-use the rubber protective sleeves for stock look. It seems a shame to have to use shrink wrap to tidy up that exposed stainless weave at the ends but I guess that's the way to do it.

Edit: Got them done, all stock stuff on there, can't tell they are aftermarket, which I like. I will block off the anti-dive with a bolt, so no short lines needed.

Beautiful Job. How much did the parts cost?
                sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

This looks like a great solution, Ed. Are folks still happy with the finished product?

From what I can tell, if I wanted the black hoses, it would be the -3 version of this hose?

I have single disc in the front, so the cost savings may not be as much compared to something like Goodridge, but I haven't priced that out yet. That said, I'm tempted to go ahead and do this to my V-strom while I'm at it, so it will be good for the long haul.
                  Drew

1981 GS650L (one step at a time...lots to do)
                  1994 Honda Shadow VLX (for sale in spring)
                  2011 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Originally posted by DrewGS View Post
                    This looks like a great solution, Ed. Are folks still happy with the finished product?

From what I can tell, if I wanted the black hoses, it would be the -3 version of this hose?

I have single disc in the front, so the cost savings may not be as much compared to something like Goodridge, but I haven't priced that out yet. That said, I'm tempted to go ahead and do this to my V-strom while I'm at it, so it will be good for the long haul.
                    Correct on the -3 black hose.

Post your experiences along the way.

Enjoy!
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Still look good on the skunk 10 years later....
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

One thing to mention -- if you are anywhere near Indianapolis, you can walk right in to the Earl's store in Speedway a few blocks from the track (the shop address is Gasoline Alley!) and buy off the shelf. An extremely cool place with all kinds of motorsports stuff. Their prices are quite reasonable as well. I always end up buying a few bags of Ty-Rap brand zip ties -- Ty-Raps are MUCH higher quality than the junk you get in hardware stores, and their prices for genuine Ty-Raps are the best I've seen.

They don't have online ordering, and the store is only open 8-5 Monday-Friday. No weekend hours. On race weekends they have people running back and forth to the track as needed but they're not open to the public.

http://www.earlsindy.com/

FWIW, the outer coating is not optional on streetbikes -- you need to keep dirt and water out of the braid, and without the coating the stainless braid will saw through anything it touches.

I'll also add an update to the above. In the winter of 2020 I wandered down to Earl's Indy in Speedway with the original front and rear lines from a GS850G I was helping a buddy with. After asking for the assorted parts to duplicate them, the guy at the counter (Mark Meko, who I believe is the General Manager) told me it would be cheaper and better to just leave the originals with him and pick up a nice fresh set of crimped lines a few days later.

That's an offer you can't refuse, honestly. And lo, so it came to pass... for an extremely reasonable $92 for two front lines and a rear line that all bolted on easily and were beautifully made. Obviously prices/speed/availability may have changed, but don't overlook this option.

The Earl's Indy website always was and remains absolutely awful, and I guess they don't care, so some sort of human interaction is necessary. And frankly, even the "big name" websites selling this stuff are pretty awful and imprecise, as others have found.

I don't know whether Earl's would be willing to do all this via mail and phone/email, but if you don't live around here it could be worth a shot. Or poke around for a race shop local to you.

Racing is still one of those fields that's very much a personal network sort of thing. There are skrillions of motorsports suppliers and shops around Indy (racing capital of the world isn't just a phrase) but they have virtually zero online presence, and few even have public storefronts. And if you're not an insider, you may not even be able to find a phone number, and they won't answer anyway.

The few times I've needed a machine shop, it's been an ordeal to track one down that would deign to speak with a mere mortal. Tons of them around here, none willing to even answer the phone unless the caller ID says "Unser", "Andretti", or "Rahal". (And the one I finally did find charged me $80 to spend two minutes destroying my part... but that's a different story.)

Even if you don't live around Indy, there's someone around catering to the local motorsports scene. But they tend to be very elusive unless you know a guy who knows a guy.
                        1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                        2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                        2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                        Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                        X