Crazy speedometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy speedometer

I know the gauges on these bikes are a bit jumpy but this is quite distracting. Seems to be getting worse too. Anyone have this issue? What did you do to correct it?

Roger

Current rides
    1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A
    Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Take the gauge apart and clean the gauge. You can try lubing the cable first. Pull it out and clean and regrease.

Comment

Cable first suspect. Because it's so long it can twist quite a bit if it's dragging even a little.
      It's the rotary equivalent of compressing a spring and when the stored energy gets released it provides an impulse or step input to the speedo.
      Then depending on the speedo spring and the size of the step the needle will swing around the actual speed.
      It could also as Jim points out be in the speedo itself but before opening it try using moderate amounts of lube at the cable input first.
      Fairings make the soundscape a bit tricky but sometimes a dry cable will hum.
      Last edited by Brendan W; 08-27-2018, 05:26 AM.
      97 R1100R
      Previous
      80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

I had a tach that did the same thing. Replaced the cable (with OEM cable), now it's rock-steady.

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'll pull and lube or just replace the cable then.

Thanks for the replies.
          Roger

Current rides
          1983 GS 850G
          2003 FJR 1300A
          Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            I had a tach that did the same thing. Replaced the cable (with OEM cable), now it's rock-steady.

Must be that the inner Teflon liner wears through.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
              Cable first suspect. Because it's so long it can twist quite a bit if it's dragging even a little.
              It's the rotary equivalent of compressing a spring and when the stored energy gets released it provides an impulse or step input to the speedo.
              Then depending on the speedo spring and the size of the step the needle will swing around the actual speed.
              It could also as Jim points out be in the speedo itself but before opening it try using moderate amounts of lube at the cable input first.
              Fairings make the soundscape a bit tricky but sometimes a dry cable will hum.
              nice analogy on the impulse response of a high q system.
              with a second look I can better visualize the cable windup releasing and kicking the needle. I recall putting a lot of grease into cable once and it not having a lot of effect, but if the inner liner is worn through then who knows.
              Last edited by posplayr; 08-27-2018, 11:28 AM.

Comment

Looks like it’s about to brake down. Open it up and lube or else it can be like this:
                Attached Files
                sigpic
                85 ZG 1300
                86 ZN 1300
                03 Fat Boy (sold)
                83 GR650
                82 GS1000G
                82 GS650GT (Sold)
                01 Drag Star (Sold)

Comment

My GS850 is at 128,000 miles and the bushing where the speedo spinnamathingy spins is just plain worn out. It jumps around like this as it flops around. If I lube it, it'll go back to normal for a while but then it reads 30% high. I've had it apart a few times, but I think I'm out of options.

I really need to head down to CRC2 and scare up a replacement soon.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Mine was doing that so I sprayed it with silicone through the hole that the light mounts into. This worked OK for about 1000 miles then it would start again. After doing it a couple more times and seeing the same result, I cut it in half with a hacksaw and gave it a good cleaning up with rubbing alcohol then lubed it with 3 in 1 oil. Hasn't missed a beat since! Don't get the alcohol on the dial face, mine got a tad on it and it ate right through
                    1980 Yamaha XS1100G (Current bike)
                    1982 GS450txz (former bike)
                    LONG list of previous bikes not listed here.

These aren't my words, I just arrange them

Comment

I'm currently teaching myself and researching which skills are needed to create replacement gauges that are to my liking - I don't like the tiny cheapo cafe racer replacements, and digital ones are flat out wrong on these bikes, and look tacky anyway. Life keeps interrupting, though.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        My GS850 is at 128,000 miles and the bushing where the speedo spinnamathingy spins is just plain worn out. It jumps around like this as it flops around. If I lube it, it'll go back to normal for a while but then it reads 30% high. I've had it apart a few times, but I think I'm out of options.

Son, do you know how fast you were going?

Actually sir, due to this 35 year old spinnamathingy I'm 70% sure I was only doing 55.
                        Roger

Current rides
                        1983 GS 850G
                        2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

The numbers on the tacho are easier to see. That's my speedo.
                          97 R1100R
                          Previous
                          80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

My speedometer started to jump around too ... plus it started to make a howling noise intermittently. I pulled it out of the instrument panel and opened it up and lubed/WD40 all rotating mechanisms. Problem solved and the needle is very steady. Previously, I had cleaned and lubed the drive cable.
                            Dennco2
                            1985 GS450
                            Stock condition and a work in progress

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post

Replacement obtained today. It took Rob a good bit of rummaging around to find two possibilities.

My GS850 is currently wearing an older orange speedo from some unknown GS. No reed switch for the auto cancelling turn signals, and it looks a little different, but it fits and works well (reads the usual 7% or 8% high compared to GPS, works smoothly). $20. I can live without the auto-cancel turn signals for a while; my other bikes don't have them.

I also have what appears to be an exact replacement, with the white plastic body and the reed switch. However, one of the screws holding the face on is bouncing around inside. Not a big deal -- I've mastered the art of opening these without damage -- and I'll fart around with it sometime when it's cold and wet outside and I'm bored. He let me have it for $5.

I'll also keep track of the mileage, and I may be able to set the odo on the replacement correctly. I've figured out how to do it on a junk speedo, but it's a rather delicate operation.

It's nice to work 20 minutes away from Cycle Recycle II. That place is a national treasure.
                              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                              X