No announcement yet.

1984 GS1150ef rebuild!!! renew!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I expected the panel under the seat would be difficult and it was first attempt end up in the bin. I was quite successful in copying the oem lines but another attempt at brazing destroyed it. So back to a simpler design, still difficult but I can see progress in my learning, the 2nd panel took half the time of the first. I buggered up the panel in the picture, I cracked it on a stress point caused by a strecherwhen I was polishing and will need to make another. The three quick release pins solved the mounting issues.The panels are shorter than the oems and the electrical is exposed but I'll be most likely moving the electrics components under the tail cowl. My other thought was to make the tail cowl and auxiliary fuel tank.

IMG_2208.jpg
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

I really despise the initial polishing, youtube makes it look easy, it's not.

IMG_2221.jpg

Comment

I went on a 300km+ ride through the rockies. Performed perfectly, a few vibration issues with the panels but nothing serious, I track down the problems as they arise on each ride.

IMG_2242.jpg

Comment

I was planning to do a front end swap but after a good chat with my mechanic we decided on a RaceTeck fork conversion. With front end changes it can become a money pit finding all the parts and time consuming tracking them down, plus it's simpler staying close to the original geometry(the efe forks are longer than other suitable forks). I've installed RaceTeck myself in my CBX but this time I let a real expert do it. I wasn't disappointed, he has a couple decades experience in WSBK tuning for factory and privateer racers. There are no handling issues even with the 16" front wheel, he attributed that to the Raceteck emulator, eliminating the anti-dive feature and better tires than were available back in the mid 80's. I no longer feel I need to change to a larger 17" front wheel but I still may just to reduce un-sprung weight, it will turn a wee bit slower with a 17 and be more stable on rough pavement.
          Last edited by wyly; 10-03-2020, 12:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
            only one photo per post, geez...this gonna take awhile.
            [ATTACH=CONFIG]61791[/ATTACH]
            Upload to imgur or https://imgbb.com/ and copy/paste the photo url to here. Ten per post I think is the limit.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Nice work on the bike, Robert.
              Sorry to hear about all the nasty things you've had to go through this year.
              2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                Upload to imgur or https://imgbb.com/ and copy/paste the photo url to here. Ten per post I think is the limit.
                thanks I'll look into that. At one time I knew how to post larger pics but I've forgotten that too.

Comment

Originally posted by steve murdoch View Post
                  Nice work on the bike, Robert.
                  Sorry to hear about all the nasty things you've had to go through this year.
                  Yeah it's been difficult and it could very likely get much, much worse, I try to remain optimistic. I gotta buy some 3003 aluminum for the cowl and get back in the garage and focus on something I can actually control.

Comment

Originally posted by wyly View Post
                    thanks I'll look into that. At one time I knew how to post larger pics but I've forgotten that too.
                    I’ve written instructions on using Imgur. In my signature.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                      I’ve written instructions on using Imgur. In my signature.

Imagur I found nothing but more even complexity than there is here, couldn't find your account either.

I don't get why some websites have the process down to a simple "browse files" "click n paste" and others it's like signing up for an IT class. I'm a dinosaur and never grew up with this technology, one of my kids is a website designer and understands the issue. She says websites are designed by younger generations who don't think like me, they fail to design for different demographics.

Millennial's will roll their eyes at my ineptness just as I do when I meet some younger motorcycle owners who can't tell me how many cylinders their bike has. We've grown up in different technological worlds. There are days when I feel really old

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                        I must be terribly inept, got all the photos loaded much simpler process than Imagr, but Gs resources will still only allow loading one image per post...well I did try, a single clickable thumbnail it'll have to be.
                        Last edited by wyly; 10-03-2020, 03:02 PM.

Comment

I'll try another method

IMG_2227.jpg
                          nope, still thumbnails.

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                            Following.....

Losing the passenger pegs / hangers also cleans up the overall look. But you’ll need to make a muffler hanger, which I’m assuming you already know.
                            There are loads of 1150s modified in many ways over at Old Skool Suzuki. You can find plenty of suspension / wheel swap info there as well.
                            I joined the OSI forum but prying info out of them is like pulling teeth from a chicken, they're a crusty bunch and can be very harsh with newbies. They do some incredible work however, lots of projects to follow and learn from.
                            Last edited by wyly; 10-03-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Gas tank polish, I restored a vintage Maico440 race condition back in the day Maico paint peeled off the aluminum tanks very quickly so it became the norm to leave them raw or polish them.

I figured I could do the same with the 1150, I knew the PO so I knew it had never been damage and bondo and if there were no dents I could clear coat it.
                              IMG_1565.jpg
                              Last edited by wyly; 10-03-2020, 03:28 PM.

Comment

There were two very tiny dents from the factory, my vintage buddies spotted them right away but the average person wouldn't. I may try pull them out later with a glue stick but I'm okay if they remain.
                                IMG_1568.jpg
                                yeah there's another issue with posting photos here, no obvious ways to manipulate the orientation.
                                Last edited by wyly; 10-03-2020, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X