Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gs650 vs gs750es

Hi guys, looking for a project.

Both bikes crank but no start from "sitting too long", what they all say. Anyway I have some cash to spend and want to fix something up.

Option 1:
    1981 GS650 for $600, cranks but doesnt start, guy says gas has been in there for 3 years, hopefully just a carb cleaning.

Option 2:
    1986 GS750ES for $950, been stored for almost 20 years but it seems in mint shape. Guy says he fogged the cylinders, and the motor is not seized.

I thought the gs750 stopped in 1983, but it shows on the catalogs that it does go to 1986... However I cannot find parts for this bike in online parts catalogs. It's not an option in the drop down lists of every site I tried.

I'm leaning more towards the 650 tbh... if I end up buying a lemon at least I'm not too deep in the hole. Any opinions on either bike, pros and cons? I'm not looking for speed, I'd rather have a lighter and easier to work on bike.

Thanks guys.

Originally posted by n00ben7 View Post
    Hi guys, looking for a project.

Both bikes crank but no start from "sitting too long", what they all say. Anyway I have some cash to spend and want to fix something up.

Option 1:
    1981 GS650 for $600, cranks but doesnt start, guy says gas has been in there for 3 years, hopefully just a carb cleaning.

Option 2:
    1986 GS750ES for $950, been stored for almost 20 years but it seems in mint shape. Guy says he fogged the cylinders, and the motor is not seized.

I thought the gs750 stopped in 1983, but it shows on the catalogs that it does go to 1986... However I cannot find parts for this bike in online parts catalogs. It's not an option in the drop down lists of every site I tried.

I'm leaning more towards the 650 tbh... if I end up buying a lemon at least I'm not too deep in the hole. Any opinions on either bike, pros and cons? I'm not looking for speed, I'd rather have a lighter and easier to work on bike.

Thanks guys.
    The 750....no brainer!
    No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
      The 750....no brainer!
      Why though? I forgot to mention I want to build a cafe racer. The 650 seems to be easier to work on.

Aside from engine size and year, what's better about the 750?

I'm having trouble finding parts for this model year. There are plenty of 650s around. Havent heard of an 86 gs750es until today. I thought the guy mispelled it and meant gsx750es D:
      Last edited by Guest; 05-03-2020, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Find the OEM parts fishe like the one at Parzilla. I'm not sure about Ontario but there must be something similar there.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
          Find the OEM parts fishe like the one at Parzilla. I'm not sure about Ontario but there must be something similar there.
          You're leaning towards the 750 as well? No one has given me pros and cons D: is the 650 that bad a bike?

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/su...otorcycle/1986 They have the GSX listed, but not the GS. I guess I could call/chat with representatives but the fact it's not on most lists is worrisome.

Comment

They have the GSX listed, but not the GS.
            I think the GS is called the GSX everywhere but the U.S.A.
            1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

If you could post a decent picture of that supposed 86 750, I'm sure someone here could properly identify it. It would be a 16V, if 80 or newer, and chain drive.

The 650 is, by my recollection, necessarily, a shaft drive bike, and and 8V engine.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

750 for me as well based on personal preference. If you're into the cafe thing the 650 is probably more fitting. Is the 650 a G (shaft drive), or E (chain drive)?
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Originally posted by dorkburger View Post
                  750 for me as well based on personal preference. If you're into the cafe thing the 650 is probably more fitting. Is the 650 a G (shaft drive), or E (chain drive)?
                  Chain

750:
                  ad_1588600393242.jpg

Comment

Chain

750:
                    [ATTACH=CONFIG]60940[/ATTACH]
                    How come the U.S. didn't get those snazzy color schemes?

Were there any 650 twins?
                    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                      I think the GS is called the GSX everywhere but the U.S.A.
                      It's a GS here too
                      No signature

Comment

So like the PO said, looking at parts fiches like partsoutlaw, there's no 86 750ES. Last year they show a fiche for is 83. '83 looks close to the pic he posted, but I don't know if it's exactly the same. Was that bike imported from somewhere other that North America?
                        Rich
                        1982 GS 750TZ
                        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                          Was that bike imported from somewhere other that North America?
                          Do you suspect Luxembourg?

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                            Do you suspect Luxembourg?
                            Sure. Luxembourg, South Arfica, Madagascar,Sri Lanka, Vietnam? IDK.

Rob, I'm not getting your reference, if there is one.
                            Rich
                            1982 GS 750TZ
                            2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                              Luxembourg...I'm not getting your reference, if there is one.
                              Corona virus conspiracy theory.

Comment

Working...
                              X