No announcement yet.

'83 GS850GL - Steering Head Bearings -- ?? How to KNOW if they need attention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good plan. Bad steering stem bearings are an annoyance, but not particularly dangerous.

I have a bearing race sitting on my workbench I preserved because it may represent a world record for the worst steering stem bearings of all time (I bet Steve has one of these lying around too; we'll have to compare sometime). Still, the bike was rideable.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

THese from my GK in 2017 were bad enough that was noticeable when doing the test (wheel on ground) of turning handle bar and feeling for a catch at center. Was also noticeable at speed before a curve, took some effort to get steering response but then maybe got too much responce. Also notice at slow speed comming to a stop where need just a little bit steering input (situation Brian was mentioning) but was hard to make just a little steering.

THe lower outer race is in center, compared to new one on right.
      THe one on the left, the lower inner was the one that took the most effort to remove. Can see where cut both with a dremel tool.

Picture of the same, during disassembly, earlier on in the project. Outer race still in place.

Looks to be bronze , but that is rust in what was remaining of the grease.
      Last edited by Redman; 08-13-2020, 11:16 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Working...
      X