Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1980 GS1000GL - From the scrapheap to...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got to the welding, or rather, had some help with the welding. Nice thing about most Army bases is they have a pretty well equipped auto shop. I had been told you could use the welding equipment so I brought a bunch of scrap to brush up before tackling the frame. Turned out that they have a guy there and he does the welding for you. Didn't hurt my feelings especially since you pay by the hour, so for $16, I got the rear hoop sorted out, two mounting bars for the seat pan, and the electrical tray welded in place. They weren't the prettiest welds, but a grinder and paint made him the welder he ain't.

Also got the engine cleaned, taped, and painted. Doesn't look too bad. I shot VHT satin, and it's a bit glossier than I thought it would be, but I'm happy with it. I still need to polish up the covers, but my focus right now is on getting her back together and I can pull the covers off down the road to pretty them up a bit.

I have to take the frame in to get the VIN inspected by a law enforcement officer since the PO had a CA title and I'm registering in FL but have to do it by mail. Now's the time to, since my hatchback won't quite fit an assembled GS. Once I get that done in the next day or two, I'm going to try the lowering the frame over the engine method to try and avoid scratching up either the frame or the engine. I might use the heat gun to try and cure the side of the engine that will be up against the padding on the garage floor to minimize damage there.

I got my wiring ordered, and once the engine is in and I reassemble the front and rear, that's probably my next step. I'm rewiring from scratch with the help of a Marty unit from NWT Cycletronics, so that should be an adventure.

1980 GS1000GL, or will be again once it’s done.

Comment

Update: I am an idiot. I took the cam chain tensioner off to paint the engine. Figured I’d go ahead and check the valve clearances while the engine is out and it would be easier. Rotated the engine a bunch of times without the tensioner in and jumped some teeth on the exhaust. Good times.

Comment

Oops. Never mind, it's a learning experience.
        Good work otherwise.
        ---- Dave
        79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
        80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
        79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
        92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
          Oops. Never mind, it's a learning experience.
          Good work otherwise.
          Always learning something!

Got the issue sorted out. When I noticed the issue, the exhaust cam was a full 90 degrees off and counting the links I was at 19 not 20 as per the manual. Oh well, gave me a chance to check out the journals for wear. They spec'd out okay, and the valve tappets are all in tolerance, so on to the next! Hopefully the next update has me posting a roller with a mounted engine.

Comment

The engine is in! It feels like a big step forward in terms of getting this project towards the finish line. Since I had the frame stripped down for welding and paint, I used the engine on its side method and lowered the frame over it. Still a PITA for one person, but it's in with only one small scratch on the engine paint courtesy of the rear engine mount tab. Should be an easy touch up there.

With that done and the front/rear reassembled, I moved back to the carbs. I adjusted the float height and got the bench sync done. The carb holder boots are in good shape and still pliant, so I threw on the new O-rings and put those on the engine. The carbs apparently got very comfortable in their bubble wrap cocoon and did not want to go back on the bike, so I threw a short 2x4 behind the carbs, and a ratchet strap around the front of the frame helped them slide right in.

With that buttoned up, I pulled the exhaust down from the rafters. I had intended on keeping the stock exhaust until the project fund built back up, but apparently I didn't pay much attention to it when I pulled it off. There's a lovely rust hole in the bottom of one and the other would make an excellent rattle for a baby gorilla with all the bits and bobs loose inside. The headers are in good shape so I'm probably going to cut the mufflers off and use some inexpensive aftermarkets for the time being until I eventually switch to a 4-1. I went ahead and mounted them so I could get my rearset brackets mocked up.

Next up: Waiting on wiring connectors to arrive, so in the meantime I'll be getting the rear mudguard finished out. I'm trying to use the original guard, just cut down a bit to fit the project. The original part is pretty rough around the edges so I don't feel too bad about chopping it. After that, I need to make some brackets for the SH775 since the original electronics mounting bracket has been deleted. After that, hopefully onto the wiring!

Here's where it started:

And here's where it's at:

Comment

No pictures today, but lots of work has gotten done.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Delkevic 4-1. It's designed for a GS1000E, but the install was pretty quick and painless. The only modification, as others have done, was drilling a new hold in the muffler mounting bracket. It's on and I'm very happy with the look of it. Crazy how much lighter it is than the stock exhaust.

I settled on relocating the R/R to the front behind the headlight bucket. Lots of airflow which will hopefully keep the charging system happy. Had to make a bracket for it, but that didn't take too long yesterday. Just waiting for the paint to dry on the bracket then it'll be mounted up.

I have the front end wired up with the help of a kit from Vintage Connections. Side note on that, I've always hated doing wiring, but with a quality ratcheting crimper, it was actually an enjoyable process. The money on the tool was worth every penny just for making me not hate the process let alone ensuring that the connections are up to standard. Only thing left to wire on the front end is tying in the Triumph pigtail for the SH775 into the new harness.

I have all wiring run and gathered with cable ties until the loom gets delivered. For the electrical, I need to add some connectors on the back end in the electrical tray and then link it up to the NWT box that I plan on using.

Up next is finishing up the wiring harness and getting the electrical all buttoned up. That includes figuring out the mounting for some non-L coils since the ones off the bike were shot.

Most of the big ticket items are already purchased, the biggest expense left will be the brake lines, but I'm holding off on ordering those until I get the rearsets done so I can do a final measurement on what i need in the rear and make sure the clocking is right.

Getting closer! Once the electrical is done, just need to get the carbs put back in so I can do the first test fire!

Comment

I'm really liking the look of the black engine. Good job.
                Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

I'm not dead, and neither is the project! I moved across country last summer, so between packing, unpacking and getting my shop set up again, the bike took a backseat for a while.

Though In haven't been updating, I have gotten a fair amount done:

- Electrical install complete.
                  - Rebuilt front forks with Sonic Springs
                  - Hayabusa rearsets installed with mounts that I fabricated
                  - Reworked the old rear fender to fit under chopped frame
                  - Added a mudguard to keep air filters happy
                  - Streamlined the triple tree clamp by getting rid of the old handlebar mounts
                  - Made new clutch/throttle/choke cables
                  - Mounted up new 4-1 exhaust
                  - Too many bits and bobs to remember

Left on the to do list:
                  - Install SS brake lines (arriving later this week)
                  - Sew up a seat cover and get that put on
                  - tune the carbs
                  - Figure out a catch can of some sort
                  - Paint tank/fender (I shot some white that I had laying around for rust prevention, and I'll probably hold off on the actual paint job until next winter so I can enjoy the season)
                  - Finally ride the damn thing

I'm getting close!

Comment

Wow, definitely taking shape! Look pretty good, glad to see the project wasn't abandoned. I like the Grey frame.
                    - 1983 GS850L ~ 30,000 miles and going up - Finally ready for a proper road trip!
                    - 1977 GS750B - Sold but not forgotten

Comment

My azz hurts just looking at it. Teasing, I know you're still working on the seat. Looks good. Hopefully you've got the jetting worked out for CVs with the pods and 4-1.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
                        My azz hurts just looking at it. Teasing, I know you're still working on the seat. Looks good. Hopefully you've got the jetting worked out for CVs with the pods and 4-1.
                        Your eyes are telling the truth! She’s not what I’d contemplate calling comfortable just yet! I have 3 inches of high density foam from a cushy exercise mat material on there now. It was close enough to help me get my rear sets in the right place. Don’t worry though, definitely more padding coming!

When I rebuilt the carbs I rejected with a dynojet kit, so I should be in the neighborhood, though some time with a still to be purchased carbtune will tell the tale.

Comment

I have a shorty front fender around that might look pretty sweet on that thing....
                          1980 GS1000G - Sold
                          1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                          1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                          1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                          2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                          1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                          2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                            I have a shorty front fender around that might look pretty sweet on that thing....
                            That’s on my to do list, actually, and I have a spare fender that I’ve chopped down that I might end up using. But if you’re looking to get rid of yours, shoot me a picture and what you’re asking for it. Probably would look better than what I’m trying to fabricate!

Comment

You can see it on this picture. I painted it fresh with black & 2k clear a couple of years back & then put it away never got around to re-fitting it.....

IMGP4673.jpg
                              Attached Files
                              1980 GS1000G - Sold
                              1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

IMGP4680.jpg

And another.....
                                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                                X