Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Restoring the shine to my 1980 GS860G

Interesting... stand by

This work?
    Again, it;s not perfect and I'm not done yet.. wet sand and 2 more coats of clear then sand and polish.
    I have a little bit of "striping' in the sparkle on the top of the tank, but I'm the only one who seems to notice...
    Best i could do as I don;t have a compressor or any paint guns any more so it's all duplicolor and 2K clear from Spraymax.
    And about 20000000 hours of wet sanding. HAHAH

That works. I see pics. Very nice! Definitely not your typical rattle-can DIY paint job. You obviously know what you're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    That works. I see pics. Very nice! Definitely not your typical rattle-can DIY paint job. You obviously know what you're doing.
    Thanks, I'm flattered. I used to paint with a gun and compressor. But I no longer have those tools so I resorted to using rattle bombs. BUT if you use a solid primer and a decent paint. (Dupli-color automotive paint) works very nicely. And then wet color sand between sessions you can get good results. But the big thing that can make most paint jobs look awesome and really protect your hard work is the 2K clear. The 2K means the can has a second dealio at the bottom that you smash and it releases a hardener into the paint. So it is REAL 2 part auto paint. This seals your tank and gasoline etc won't mar or stain your paint job. Another trick is to mix up a little JB weld and "paint it" around the gas nozzel creating a sealed barrier in between your metal of the gas fill neck and your paint work. I have seen 20 coat masterpiece paint jobs get ruined by gas sneaking UNDER the paint by the hole.

But like any job the prep is everything.. Wet Color sanding between coats and then a final buffing really makes a difference.

I hope to get my final sanding and clear coats done this weekend... can not wait!!

And she's back together...
    Still need to polish motor and clean up the rest of the bike, but pretty stoked on how the paint turned out.

Excellent work.
    Surprised to recall that's what mine looked like at one time.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    Excellent work.
    Surprised to recall that's what mine looked like at one time.

Thanks! and HA! Yea but if its from riding miles, then that's great.
    Better to have a completely worn out bike than a perfect one that never gets ridden!

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyC View Post
    Thanks! and HA! Yea but if its from riding miles, then that's great.
    Better to have a completely worn out bike than a perfect one that never gets ridden!
    looking at yours I am not so sure about that! a completely worn out bike? Gimme your perfect one!

Simply beautiful! Nice work. Love the color and ditto on the black engine. But, that'll pass as is though.
    Current Bikes:
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

SleepyC that is a very nice job. Love the paint job looks like she just rolled out of the dealership!