Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret spot for speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Steve View Post
    It may look a bit "dorky", but a helmet liner helps quite a bit. It moves the friction point away from the ear buds, so the helmet does not pull on them.

One downside of a liner is that it will make your helmet a bit tighter for a short while. Then it will fit just fine, but if you leave the liner off, the helmet is a bit loose, and does not tighten up.

Not sure if it offsets the fit issue, but a liner is easier to wash than the inside of your helmet, which keeps hair oil and other crud out of the helmet.

Interesting. I just received a BMW balaclava for Christmas and wonder whether it might work in a similar fashion.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Burque73 is online now Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

My son was using these yesterday and said they stayed put while pulling the helmet on.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wirel.../dp/B083KVM9VW
    Roger

1983 GS 850G
    2003 FJR 1300A

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    Interesting. I just received a BMW balaclava for Christmas and wonder whether it might work in a similar fashion.
    Definitely. It's balaclava time here and I've been using one for the past 30 winters. Wouldn't be without one now.
    The handy thing about a balaclava is that I can just turn it up in a double fold and it's an instant cap, so no need to remove it entirely, as it keeps my head and ears warm.
    I'm intrigued by the helmet liners but wonder how they do in sweaty summer days. Not that it matters much as 99% of my riding is local nowadays so continually putting on and taking off a liner would be a pita. Just have to put up with occasionally removing the helmet's own liner and washing it. That in itself is a major step forward compared to helmets of yesteryear.
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

I bought this thin Carhart balaclava at DICKíS Sporting goods last month. It fits snug under my Bilt helmet with built-in Bluetooth speakers. Itís just the ticket for cold weather riding. Iíve not worn earplugs when riding. I donít really do much highway riding where Iím winding out the engine. And my bike isnít very loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimly View Post
    I'm intrigued by the helmet liners but wonder how they do in sweaty summer days.
    Surprisingly, they do quite well. Although they are not all that thick (about the same as a quality t-shirt), they absorb enough to keep the crud out of the helmet. Even on a multi-day tour, it's easy enough to "do the laundry" in the motel sink in the evening and have it dry by morning.

It can also do double duty in warm weather. Wet it, THEN put it on.
    The evaporation will help keep your head cooler.

mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)