No announcement yet.

Battery time, again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Having just repainted my frame in the spring, I wanted a new battery that was sealed, with no more acid drip. My only other criteria was that it fit. I found this one on Amazon that is the exact same size as the original battery on my bike. Bonus, it has a few more CCAs than the original dripper. I have no idea how long it will last. I've not had to put it on the new Battery Tender Junior yet that I bought at the same time. I know it's a no-name and probably not the best idea I've had. But it was only $40. Time will tell.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I buy any of them, based on low price. Mighty Max is currently in use on 2 bikes, & I haven't seen a thing to worry me one bit. I do not worry about CCA too much on a 4 banger, either, as they crank over a lot easier than my big twin stuff.

Comment

Maybe Diehard is making a comeback. Great Commercial anyway.

Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
          Yep, not a lot of factories.

I'll clarify that the Motobatt batteries are made in China. Not ideal in many minds, including my own, but the fact remains that they are superb batteries. As we all know, Chinese factories are capable of whatever level of quality is desired to meet the price point. In this case, they're on the high end.

Motobatt batteries are a bit more expensive than the others, but you're legitimately getting what you pay for. I will say that the terminals are different from standard and can be a little annoying depending on the terminals found in your bike; you might have to bend your bike's connector, or modify the vinyl boot, to get it to hook up.

I usually go for the Deka-made (sold as Big Crank and dozens of other brand names) batteries; they're made in the US and a little cheaper than Motobatt, and you can usually find one at a local auto parts store quickly if needed; you just need to be willing to walk away if they try to substitute a cheap generic battery.

If you need something oddball, cheap, or fast (for example, the Suzuki Intruder/Boulevard cruisers require a weird terminal arrangement that's hard to find), I've used a company called Chrome Battery a few times with good results. They sell Chinese AGM batteries, but they're better quality than most such, and they stock all the oddball configurations with good prices. And the warehouse is not far from my house, so at least I'm supporting a local US business in some way, and they arrive quickly.

I've also ordered SLA batteries for scooters and UPS systems from Chrome Battery a few times.
          I purchased a Decka battery one time and the Decka sticker was placed over a Yuasa battery.Go figure...
          sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

Originally posted by gs11ezrydr View Post
            I purchased a Decka battery one time and the Decka sticker was placed over a Yuasa battery.Go figure...
            Interesting! I don't believe that Deka has been making powersports batteries for a terribly long time. Maybe they were rebranding Yuasa bike batteries which used to made just 10 miles down the road from them in Reading, Pa.

I've used the relabeled Deka Big Crank AGM batteries for about the past 8 years, All good service. I still have one I removed about 6 years ago that still holds a charge well.

If anyone would like to experience some sheer misery with battery fluctuations, get an Exide real gell ( not AGM) battery.
            1981 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Duracell.. going on year 5...
              -Mark
              Boston, MA
              Suck Squeeze Bang Blow..
              sigpic
              1980 GS850G with 79 carbs.....

Comment

I bought an Interstate, a few yrs. back, in a sealed Interstate box. Opened the box & found a YUSA batt. with an Interstate sticker. I installed the YUSA batt. in my bike & put the sticker on my tool box.
                1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by 1980GS1000E View Post
                  My experience with Yuasa is mixed, some good some not so good, although I have always used the wet cell batteries. On the GS, it seems to not last as long as I would expect, maybe 2-3 years of occasional riding and on a battery tender most of the other time. The charging system has been updated with a Rick's stator and the SH775 regulator, putting out about 14v at 5000 rpm. I ordered the Deka ETX15L from Amazon.
                  My Yuasa battery died today after three years and this last season running at 16.5v due to a poor r/r. We're all good now, new r/r installed on the weekend and bought another Yuasa. Let's see how long it runs now that the r/r is allowing the usual 13.5-14.5v.
                  1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

My voltage is 14.3 at 5000. The thing I need to remember to do is to retighten the battery terminal bolts after a while.
                    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Sorry to be boring guys but what CCA or other minimum levels should i look for for my 1978 GS 550E?

It came to me in boxes as some of you know, battery not included , so this will be a first battery for me/this bike. I usually have to buy a big CCA for my HD Fatboy (1600cc) but hope that won't be necessary now.

Grateful for your thoughts or suggestions guys.
                      Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                      BMW R1200GT
                      GS550 1978 Project bike
                      Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
                      Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

The recommended motobatt battery for you bike is MB10U 12v 14.5 amp 175 CCA
                        5.7" high. 6.10" with spacer. Width 3.54" length 5.31"
                        The big guy up there rides a Suzuki (this I know)
                        1981 gs850gx

1999 RF900
                        past bikes. RF900
                        TL1000s
                        Hayabusa
                        gsx 750f x2
                        197cc Francis Barnett
                        various British nails

Comment

Originally posted by fastbysuzuki View Post
                          The recommended motobatt battery for you bike is MB10U "
                          Thanks fastby - appreciate that
                          Last edited by MikeinSaudi; 11-12-2020, 10:58 AM.
                          Mike

Harley Davidson Fatboy
                          BMW R1200GT
                          GS550 1978 Project bike
                          Yamaha Virago 535 bobber project
                          Honday VFR 750 1995 restoration project

Comment

Working...
                          X