Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: tube or tubeless tyres for 1980 Suzuki's?

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Just did my front last year...

Here is the NAPA valve stem I bought. 90-426
    Also the tool I found on Amazon to modify the rim. (mine did not say "tubeless")

Before modification...

And after...
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Gonna jump on Jules’ thread here because I’m planning to take the tube out of my front tire over winter. Front had a tube in when I got it 15 years ago. At each new tire change, my tire guy recommended continuing to use a tube. Said there was corrosion of the aluminum around the bead area. But said that I could probably run tubeless if I cleaned up the corrosion.

Running Shinko 705, rear is tubeless, on my second rear due to a puncture and having to ride home on/ruining the tire. I now have plug kit and portable compressor and I know how to use them.

Plug kit won’t do me any good with an tube in the front though. And even with tire irons/other proper tools to remove a tire on the road/trail side, tube repair kit, etc., I just don’t want to even entertain the idea.

So this is what the stem looks like in front wheel.

Assuming no PO bored the hole larger, Once I get the tire/tube off, I need to a replace it with a new one. I see Brian’s pic above and that’s helpful. Been doing some shopping and getting confused by some numbers. What am I looking for? Specific links would really help. Here’s a pair on Amazon, 90deg. Because why not, I’d put the other on the rear next tire change. Will these stems work on my bike, assuming the stem holes are original?

here’s the TUBELESS embossed on the wheel.
    Get these ones instead - same hole as the standard hole, but it would be a good idea to cut the rebate recess.
    https://www.amazon.com/Uxcell-a16073...7823344&sr=8-8
    ---- Dave
    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Bob, thank you. Think I’ll unmount the tire and tube tomorrow and see what I see. I haven’t removed a a motorcycle tire from the rim since my dirt bike when I was a teen. I have a set of tire irons and YouTube. I’ll take some measurements and evaluate the corrosion before buying anything.

Dave, not too sure about the valve stem set you linked. But the description was.....entertaining:

Made from rubber and aluminum alloy material, these tire valve are useful for pumping your tire. Ideally for bicycle, auto car, motocycle, truck, etc.The tubeless valves can prevent unsafe factors effectively which caused by vacuum valves puncture rollover. They are the essential supplies for your driving.With thread end, you can snap it easily. And pump your tire through the cap hole conveniently.Note: please pay attention to the dimensions before ordering to make sure the caps fit your vehicle.”

I must be crazy because I have been running tubeless for years with rubber valve stems.
    NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
    Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

All guitar players (except jazz drips) only use tubes.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

I'm scratching my head, trying to remember a rubber valve stem on a motorcycle wheel. Probably there, I just don't remember them.
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by rphillips View Post
    I'm scratching my head, trying to remember a rubber valve stem on a motorcycle wheel. Probably there, I just don't remember them.
    I must be crazy because I have been running tubeless for years with rubber valve stems.
    Not crazy oh yes, I have them on one bike. Preferred, by me I think. The ones to fit and with shorter stems? that I wanted, seemed harder to find than the threaded types...but I think this might be because they were to out of stock where I shop at fortnine.ca .

Gorminrider is offline Forum Sage Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Said there was corrosion of the aluminum around the bead area. But said that I could probably run tubeless if I cleaned up the corrosion.
    @Rich82GS750TZ, just an idea as told to me by a motorcycle mechanic: "painting the rims (where corroded badly on bead surfaces) can smooth them"...MY italics and now I will tell you, having actually tried it , it had better be an epoxy or some kind of super-urethnane on a primer, because if it doesn't stick, you're going to want to clean it off again.
    But ...might be something for you to investigate if you are determined for tubeless and a first try won't seal to a corroded rim...

Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Just did my front last year...

Here is the NAPA valve stem I bought. 90-426
    Also the tool I found on Amazon to modify the rim. (mine did not say "tubeless")

Before modification...

And after...
    Do you have a link for the rim modification tool or a way or name to search for it? Looks like a good one to own.

Baatfam is online now Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesz View Post
    Do you have a link for the rim modification tool or a way or name to search for it? Looks like a good one to own.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a relatively cheap tool, but it works fine on aluminum. I would send you mine, but I already passed it on to another member.

If I remember correctly, the pilot (center) of the tool was a very tight fit in the hole, and I did make it slightly larger.
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB