Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Thread: New DR650

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria bc
    Posts
    17,285

    Default New DR650

    Hi all,
    Shortly after my accident I sold my DR650 as I knew it would be quite sometime, if ever that I would be riding in the dirt again. My surgeon said he would look at taking the pins out of my hip in 6 months and that I will need to be on crutches for another 6 weeks....I want another dual sport for next year...most of my riding buddies have them and I miss that kind of riding.
    So I have been thinking about a Husky 701...light weight, very road capable and cool as fu*k!
    But a buddy that has one has been having issues with valves on his three year old bike...just did a $3000 top end...yikes....he said to me "Buy another DR, I'm not buying another Eurocash sucking bike again"!
    Anyway when I was at my dealer Saturday putting a deposit on the GTA I bought I got looking the DR's there....the new 2022 has some "new emission controls" on it and only comes with a one year warranty...and is $7400cdn...my buddy that owns the shop says "I have three new 2020 DR's and I can sell you one for $5900cdn with a five year factory warranty and a $350 accessory credit.
    I figured I could budget another $3000 and kit it out with all the stuff I would want on it and still be well below the price of a 701....not to mention having a much more reliable bike...all be it heavier and slower...
    Sorry for the long winded post but I'm interested in hearing your thoughts...cheers

    No signature

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    I guess as long as your wife will still have room in the garage for her car, go for it. Gotta be getting cramped in there, though. I kid because I'm jealous as F.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    Dr650 no brainer choice
    Probably stolen less to boot
    Apparently KTM is a huge target in some places
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    2,897

    Default

    Well, with any D/S purchase it all comes down to where it sits on the dirt-street spectrum and how that dovetails with what you want it to do. If the DR is in the right spot for you then go for it.
    It's always been a bike I liked, and could argue that I'd be better off on one of those rather than the DR-Z400S I have.
    Rich Desmond
    1980 GS1000S
    2007 V-Strom 650
    2008 Ducati 848
    2002 DR-Z400S
    1999 SV650 (race bike)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Mifflinburg, PA / Land of Tar & Chip
    Posts
    3,281

    Default

    What kind of Honda is Itchyboots riding across Africa currently? Whatever that is takes her through some pretty gnarly terrain and handles well on the road.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria bc
    Posts
    17,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RichDesmond View Post
    Well, with any D/S purchase it all comes down to where it sits on the dirt-street spectrum and how that dovetails with what you want it to do. If the DR is in the right spot for you then go for it.
    It's always been a bike I liked, and could argue that I'd be better off on one of those rather than the DR-Z400S I have.
    My single track days are done...not interested in it and too easy to get hurt. I like doing bigger trips on the dual sport...a couple of years ago 7 of us did the Washington BDR from Osoyoos BC to Portland OR....6 days through the mountains...it was awesome! It was decided then that the DR650 was probably the overall perfect bike for that trip...and that was coming from a couple of buddies on 1090 KTMs...

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Dr650 no brainer choice
    Probably stolen less to boot
    Apparently KTM is a huge target in some places
    That probably true. I think you are right...no brainer.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    I guess as long as your wife will still have room in the garage for her car, go for it. Gotta be getting cramped in there, though. I kid because I'm jealous as F.
    Lol...my wife knows I'm going to replace my DR eventually and I have been warming her up listening me talk about getting a 701....so a DR being half the price will slip through without much issue from her...and there is still lots of room in the garage at 6 bikes...I've had 7 before..
    Cheers guys,
    No signature

  7. #7
    salty_monk's Avatar
    salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    London, UK to Redondo Beach, California
    Posts
    13,324

    Default

    I have a Husky TE610 (2008, fuel injection) and ride with a guy who has a 2016 701. The 650 gives away about 40lb to the 701 & about 50lb to my 610. That can make a big difference I guess. They also make more power for running the freeway & have better suspension, wheels etc as standard as well as a 6 spd box (the ratios are better in the 610 than the 701) but I think the DR would be fine too, it or the 400 were on my list when I got rid of the KLR....

    There is definitely a running cost benefit to the Suzuki as well as much more availability of parts & farkles. The 610 is pretty hard to find some parts for & the forum support is not much good at all although there is decent historic data there. One of the issues with the 701 is the small fuel range with limited (expensive) options to change that. Mine came with a 20+ litre Safari on it so I am the gas mule for my mate...
    Last edited by salty_monk; 10-05-2021 at 05:33 PM.

    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

    www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

    TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria bc
    Posts
    17,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by salty_monk View Post
    I have a Husky TE610 (2008, fuel injection) and ride with a guy who has a 2016 701. The 650 gives away about 40lb to the 701 & about 50lb to my 610. That can make a big difference I guess. They also make more power for running the freeway & have better suspension, wheels etc as standard as well as a 6 spd box (the ratios are better in the 610 than the 701) but I think the DR would be fine too, it or the 400 were on my list when I got rid of the KLR....

    There is definitely a running cost benefit to the Suzuki as well as much more availability of parts & farkles. The 610 is pretty hard to find some parts for & the forum support is not much good at all although there is decent historic data there. One of the issues with the 701 is the small fuel range with limited (expensive) options to change that. Mine came with a 20+ litre Safari on it so I am the gas mule for my mate...
    I will budget 3-4 grand for upgrades to address and bigger fuel tank, skid plate, rear rack, tail tidy, bars and risers, heated grips, wider foot pegs, bark busters, carb jetting, exhaust, comfort seat, rear and front suspension, engine guards etc...it will never have the power of a 701 but it will get the job done for my intended use....and be reliable as the sun.
    No signature

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Toronto Ontario
    Posts
    2,653

    Default

    Crazy good price 1500 less than latest add 225 tax savings on difference
    Go buy one
    Hell I could fly out drive it home in a mad dash against frosty ever shortening days.
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Victoria bc
    Posts
    17,285

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cipher View Post
    Crazy good price 1500 less than latest add 225 tax savings on difference
    Go buy one
    Hell I could fly out drive it home in a mad dash against frosty ever shortening days.
    Lol...he has three on the floor....
    No signature

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •