Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heatwrapping headers

Ouch! My brain hurts. You guys are forcing me to learn new facts. I always thought of ceramic coating as a kind of super strong black paint that was baked onto your frame. Like the reason why my SuperLow's frame was still black in the places where it bottomed out and dented on speed bumps.

Trevor ceramic coating his "entire" bike. Metal, plastic, where will it all end? The entire house, the dog, pop tarts, in-laws? I'm going to need a larger oven.
    1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Quote Originally Posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    You would be far ahead if you just had such an exhaust Jet-Hotted.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baatfam View Post
    Yup....I am a big fan of ceramic coating....

Great thread, I'm learning lots.
    GS1150Pilot, Baatfam, is the ceramic coating primarily done for protecting the exhaust from corrosion over time? Additionally, is ceramic coating something one can do one their own or must one take it to a shop?
    1979 GS850G, currently being rebuilt from the frame up. We shall see how that go's

"The two most powerful warriors are patience and time" - Leo Tolstoy

" Be yourself, everyone else is already taken" - Oscar Wilde

"Do things for people not because of who they are or what they do in return, but because of who you are" - Harold S. Kushner

For a high-heat application like a motorcycle exhaust, it is best to have it done professionally. I have friends who ceramic coat firearm components to good effect, but the process probably isn't as durable as an exhaust system warrants. Ceramic coating an exhaust has several benefits:

https://www.jet-hot.com/articles/201...nd-turbo-parts
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Quote Originally Posted by RustyTank View Post
    Great thread, I'm learning lots.
    GS1150Pilot, Baatfam, is the ceramic coating primarily done for protecting the exhaust from corrosion over time? Additionally, is ceramic coating something one can do one their own or must one take it to a shop?
    My drag bike already had it, for the heat efficiency outlined above. But it was getting shabby, so I had it redone.
    Definitely a professional job. I used the same place the others racers did. It wasn't cheap, but far less costly than new headers.

On my street GS1100E, I went with a black ceramic coat. For the street, it was strictly a cosmetic decision.
    Unfortunately, I used a local, less costly guy who did "some" car/bike stuff.
    I don't know if it was poor prep, or just too thin in spots, but after 3 years or so, it developed surface rust in a couple of places.

But several years later, it still looks pretty good.

Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB