Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So how often should our gear armor be replaced?

bwringer is offline Forum LongTimer Bard Award Winner
    GSResource Superstar
    Super Site Supporter

Five years is the outer limit I've seen, at least for textile gear that gets used once in a while. Usually something like a burst seam or a bad zipper sends stuff to the garbage, but I've seen foam armor fall apart a few times too.

I do have a Belstaff waxed cotton "Drizabone" jacket in the closet that my wife-to-be bought me for Christmas in I think 1995. It may be the coolest garment I will ever own.

It fits me once again, and seems to be in fine shape, and could be re-proofed easily to be as waterproof as ever. But it's so old-school that there's no armor, just a wee bit of quilting at the elbows with the tiniest hint of padding. I'm sticking to modern armored gear, thanks.

I also have my leather "biker" jacket from my high school and college punk rock days in the closet. It actually fits too nowadays, but it's even less suitable for actual motorcycling. And at a greying 52, I don't really have any business wearing it out in public unless it's Halloween, or the Dead Kennedys or the Descendents re-form and come to town.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

salty_monk is offline Forum LongTimer GSResource Superstar
    Past Site Supporter

The Motoport gear is very long lasting but also quite expensive to start with... not sure I would buy it without being close enough to have them customize it though

1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold

www.agadisplay.com
    www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Baatfam is offline Forum LongTimer Past Site Supporter
    Super Site Supporter

Just a quick follow up on this.

The Joe Rocket and the Power Trip jacket use the same armor, so I ordered a new set elbow and shoulder pads for both jackets.
    They are on the bench know, waiting for me to fight them into place.

The interesting thing is none of our other gear seemed to have this issue.
    All my wife's gear, and all my other gear, some older and some newer, are fine.

That's all I know....
    Bob T.

"That which you manifest is before you." -- Enzo
    "I always prefer to believe the best of everybody, it saves so much trouble." -- Rudyard Kipling
    "...for our existence to hold any value, it must end. To live meaningful lives, we must die and not return." -- Number Six

'83 GS1100E ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '99 TRIUMPH TROPHY 900 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

I figure if it's the old foam type armor, it needs to be replaced. My tourmaster jacket (6 years old) has a foam back protector, it was thin to begin with and I'm looking to replace it soon. The elbow and shoulder pads are still fine.
    MrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

I didn't wait for my Joe Rocket armour to deteriorate I upgraded to D30 armour. Great value and it's not that expensive and much better than what comes in the Joe Rocket.
    1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF