Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Few questions regarding 530 chain conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few questions regarding 530 chain conversion.

Hi all,

Seems the factory settings for 1980 Suzuki GS1100E are 15 teeth front, 42 teeth rear sprocket and a 96 link 630 chain (please verify).

When converting to 530 chain how many links longer should it be, given it's a smaller chain.

Should I keep the sprocket teeth numbers same, or go up in the front/or down a few in the rear sprocket to accommodate the smaller chain size.

Thank you!
    1980 GS1100E

I could be wrong but most of us end up with 17/48 or 18/48 (highway gears) combo.
    1982 GS1100E "Jolene"

Comment

With my 18 48 530 conversion 114 links. 83 1100

Comment

42 and 15 are correct. I think most keep the stock ratios, even if they convert to 530.
        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

15T + 3T for 530 (to maintain the stock sprocket size) = 18T Front

42/15 = 2.8 stock ratio

18 x 2.8 = 50T rear sprocket

96 link 630 chain x .75" per link = 72" chain length

72" / .625" (link length for 530) = 115.2 (Use 116 link 530 chain)
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            15T + 3T for 530 (to maintain the stock sprocket size) = 18T Front

42/15 = 2.8 stock ratio

18 x 2.8 = 50T rear sprocket

96 link 630 chain x .75" per link = 72" chain length

72" / .625" (link length for 530) = 115.2 (Use 116 link 530 chain)
            Thanks Nessism, does this mean that 18 is the smallest size that will fit ? Largest rear sprocket available to me at the moment is 45, so I could get similar ratio with 16 or 17 up front, just not sure if it would fit. Thanks!
            1980 GS1100E

Comment

This is the outline calculator I used in this thread when I did the 530 conversion. Lots of good help and info in there. If trying to match the original factory drive ratio of your bike, that info should be in your owners manual and factory service manual. Get manuals on BikeCliffs Website. You can see instantly with the calculator how the ratio changes with different sprocket/ chain combos.

edited to link the correct calculator
              Last edited by Rich82GS750TZ; 08-10-2021, 05:39 AM.
              Rich
              1982 GS 750TZ
              2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
              Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Ed has the numbers correct but glosses over some of the math and adds a few unnecessary steps. The easiest way to calculate the new sprockets and chain length is to use the pitch ratio between the two chains. This is 5/6. To get the new sprocket sizes while keeping the same pitch diameter you simply need to multiply the teeth by the inverted ratio.

New front sprocket = 15 x (6/5) = 18 teeth
                New rear sprocket = 42 x (6/5) = 50.4 teeth (you can either go 50T or 51T, depending if you want to be slightly taller or shorter than the stock drive ratio)
                New chain length = 96 x (6/5) = 115.2 (use 116 links as Ed says)

Mark
                1982 GS1100E
                1998 ZX-6R
                2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
                  Thanks Nessism, does this mean that 18 is the smallest size that will fit ? Largest rear sprocket available to me at the moment is 45, so I could get similar ratio with 16 or 17 up front, just not sure if it would fit. Thanks!
                  The idea is to keep the stock front sprocket size, or consider going larger if there is room around the engine cases. If you go smaller there will be more energy loss since chains don't like tight turns. And if you go really small it's possible for the chain to rub the swingarm.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Thanks Ed,

My Ontario retailer has front 18, but largest rear they have is 45. Any source in U.S. that I could get 50 teeth rear?
                    1980 GS1100E

Comment

Try Z1 Enterprises. That’s where I got mine, recommend by Ed, and as usual, he’s spot on.
                      Rich
                      1982 GS 750TZ
                      2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                      Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I think I may have found a 50T. Forgot to ask about the spacer for the front sprocket - is it 6mm?
                        1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by radek22 View Post
                          I think I may have found a 50T. Forgot to ask about the spacer for the front sprocket - is it 6mm?
                          Yes. If you find a supplier for that spacer I may need to order one as well for my 530 conversion. If your local supplier doesn't have a 50T rear, try Amazon.ca, it is where I got mine from.

Mark
                          1982 GS1100E
                          1998 ZX-6R
                          2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                            Yes. If you find a supplier for that spacer I may need to order one as well for my 530 conversion. If your local supplier doesn't have a 50T rear, try Amazon.ca, it is where I got mine from.

Mark

Sounds like they're difficult to come across, I'll let you know if I manage to find one.
                            1980 GS1100E

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post

Mark
                              Got it off ebay, quite a few of them there - JTF 518B is the product code.
                              1980 GS1100E

Comment

Working...
                              X