Junk in the crank case.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Junk in the crank case.

So I’ve removed my cylinder bank, bought a full gasket set so might as well use it all. After removing the cylinders I’ve been cleaning all the gunk built up around the base of the stud bolts and around the base of the cylinders. I’ve done my best to keep it from falling into the crank case, but a little bit has nonetheless. I was planning on just flushing it with lots of oil, seems like the only option besides opening the crank case, which I will avoid like the plague. Any ideas from all you gurus? Thanks
    1982 GS550L

Not that it matters much for your question, but please create a signature with your bike year and model in it. it helps anyone trying to answer questions, and you’ll never forget to include that info. Go to Settings at the top right of any page. Then you’ll see the signature links on the left hand side.

You could take off the oil pan and see what falls out. If the set you bought includes that gasket, you might as well. If that gasket you remove is original, it will be a chore to remove the remnants. Hopefully you bought OEM gaskets.
    Rich
    1982 GS 750TZ
    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Got the signature squared away.

The set I bought does include the oil pan gasket so I reckon I’d be removing it anyway. I didn’t buy OEM, I would probably spend more money than I paid for the bike on gaskets if I did.
      1982 GS550L

Comment

You might be buying OEM gaskets anyway. Reviews are very mixed on all of the aftermarket brands. Good luck with the ones you bought. Seriously. Let us know what brand you bought and how they work out. More data is always a good thing.
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Originally posted by Johnhaley View Post
          Got the signature squared away.

The set I bought does include the oil pan gasket so I reckon I’d be removing it anyway. I didn’t buy OEM, I would probably spend more money than I paid for the bike on gaskets if I did.
          Goood youll be amazed by what congregates over time.
          Pan off was in gas. Dry on delicate setting
          Pan off will let you clean the sump screen too
          1983 GS 550 LD
          2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

With the pan off and a basin underneath, liberally splash kerosene down the centre hole where the gunk got in. Plan on using at least a gallon.
            ---- Dave
            79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
            80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
            79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
            92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

For the future, when the carbs are off you can get in with a pressure washer front and back, really give it a good squirting, spend plenty of time between the fins especially where the studs go through this will at least massively reduce or remove the dirt that can fall in also do it again after the head is removed put rags in the chain tunnel and cylinders to stop any overspray carrying dirt down.
              sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

This has got to be in Nessism's 10 mistakes thread somewhere. I wonder how many people have had this happen. I feel like IF I get to that point with my 850, after blasting with the pressure washer, air hose, leaf blower or whatever, I'll still lay it over on it's side and pull the cylinders off.
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Working...
                X