Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a complete GS750ES for $1k

It was on facebook market place. It was about 25 miles away from me. Seller had it at $1500 and pretty much said you have to make an offer in person. It was available for a couple weeks. Wife says whatever I paid it was too much.

Probably won’t be many bikes from that era that don’t need those carb-head boots replaced after this amount of time. I’ve read that if you can get one screw out, with a vice grips maybe, you may then be able to swing the works counter-clockwise, thereby loosening the other screw. You will also want to replace the oring under that boot that seals it against the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
    Probably won’t be many bikes from that era that don’t need those carb-head boots replaced after this amount of time. I’ve read that if you can get one screw out, with a vice grips maybe, you may then be able to swing the works counter-clockwise, thereby loosening the other screw. You will also want to replace the oring under that boot that seals it against the head.

Good tip on them other three engine side intake boots/carb holders. I'm inclined to move on, H*#)L $#@%T!, f$#@k. lol.
    Last edited by Leo310; 10-26-2021 at 11:45 PM.

You’ll likely regret not changing the other 3 boots and their orings.

The 3 wires likely go to your stator, but you’ll need to chase them and find out. Many write ups on the site about fixing the GS charging system. Just connecting the wires back up will not fix the problem that melted the connectors. You can read my charging system saga in my signature. It’s a typical story.

That's a very clean example of an 83' GS750ES and wonderful condition for a Great price.I also have one that had been garaged for a long time:mine needs($)work.

Maybe the disconnected wire I found contributed to the blackened connectors? None of them are exactly melted. I could regret not swapping out the rear shock or not checking the valve clearances or not using new boot clamps or not buying new airbox boots etc. I'm just fixing the obvious things that keep it from idling properly. Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

From your collection of bikes, it sounds like you have a handle on what you want out of this bike. If your intention is to get it running/idling well, then flipping it, that’s fine, I guess. The GS charging system is a well documented weak point. Without a properly sorted charging system it won’t run well for long. If you intend to keep the bike, you can fix it now or wait until it leaves you stranded. I was fortunate to have a buddy with a trailer to pick my a$$ up when mine finally failed.

No way I'm "Flipping" this bike as in I"m going to make some money? I've put easily $1600 of shop labor hours on this bike and I'm hopefully at the Bon Jovi point (half way there!). When I get stranded I call AAA and I've got RV and extended mileage coverage which costs a little extra but worth it. I'm not planning on taking this sucker cross country this fall. I've got the airbox back in (two halves) and I'll have the carbs back in tonight after I connect that wire somehow so it stays connected. I'll post a video of the status before midnight... challenge to myself : D

Songs in the background flagged a copyright statement, bye bye video
    Last edited by Leo310; 10-26-2021 at 11:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Leo310 View Post
    33 minutes to video...
    Pretty much this 2nd time is just like it was the first time I got it running. It might be a solid runner right now like it was the first time? Just started after removing and installing fuel tank, battery, carbs, airbox, carb holder/engine boot. I had to take apart the throttle cable at the handle bar. Something got off track in there. This old Suzuki is very difficult to work on. I'm just going to test ride it for the next month or two.
    Last edited by Leo310; 10-26-2021 at 11:43 PM.