Sharing my 1982 GS750T

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing my 1982 GS750T

I have lurked these forums for years and used the massive archive of knowledge to keep my bike happy and running. I bought it when I was 18 years old and I have done quite a few things to it since. I have ridden other newer and faster bikes but just can't get over what a joy this one is to ride. Plus, its quite the looker.

faceless bike.jpg

A few of the things done to it:

Progressive springs front and rear
    Valve Adjustment
    Dropped a tooth on the front sprocket
    New Tires
    New Master Cylinder
    New Starter
    Braided Steel brake lines
    Charging system sorted out
    Spark Plugs and other basic maintenance
    Superbike bars (not shown in photo)
    Delkevic 4-1 exhaust (arriving tomorrow)

P.S. What happened to CycleOrings.com???
    1982 GS750T

P.S. What happened to CycleOrings.com???

Sadly, a health issue caused Robert to cease operations.
    Ron
    When I die, just cremate me and put me in my GS tank. That way I can go through these carbs, one more time!
    1978 GS750E - November 2017 BOTM
    1978 GS1000C - May 2021 BOTM
    1982 GS1100E - April 2024 BOTM
    1999 Honda GL1500SE

Comment

Join date Sep/2019 and this is the first post?

Interesting.

Pics of your "T" requested!

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I have been around for awhile but never posted. Additionally, I lost the password to this account for quite a while haha. I am having trouble getting the photo function to work with this reply.

I see you also have a TZ, do you happen to know exactly what the T means? Is it just an appearance package type thing? Thanks
        1982 GS750T

Comment

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
          GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Welcome and THanks for making an introduction.

The T is mostly a standard (flat seat, flat bars) (not the stepped seat, not the pull back basrs, not the small teardrop tank of an L), but does have more chrome, and has the more sporty engine (16 valve).

Last edited by Redman; 03-03-2022, 10:14 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
            GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Thanks, added some photos to an album as well
              1982 GS750T

Comment

Originally posted by jstedmanb View Post

I have been around for awhile but never posted. Additionally, I lost the password to this account for quite a while haha. I am having trouble getting the photo function to work with this reply.

I see you also have a TZ, do you happen to know exactly what the T means? Is it just an appearance package type thing? Thanks
                I have this article from photo album in my profile

I think I typed it up one time but I don't have the link for that right away.

Ed

GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
                Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

Very interesting read, about strained my eyes doing it though.
                  1982 GS750T

Comment

Welcome to the club. There are a few us T owners here. Posting good photos is a bit tricky. Instruction for using the most popular photo sharing websites is in linked in my signature. Here’s my T:

Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Hell, I'd give my left nut to see more 40-year-old articles about 40-year-old motorcycles. Do we know what mag it came from?

I was about to say not Cycle World, then I saw it's written by Paul Dean. And I didn't even genuflect before I read!

I'm doomed! One little slip like that could cause the Great Pumpkin to pass you by.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Beautiful bike, I love the lines of the T. Where did you get that little windshield bit?
                        1982 GS750T

Comment

Thank you. It's been a labor of love. The little windscreen was very cheap on ebay. I like the look and it cut's the air just a bit.

Rich
                          1982 GS 750TZ
                          2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                          Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

I should have found this earlier...I typed it up a while ago on this thread that you should post your "T":

https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...erall-(I-think)

Post #174
                            To Suzuki, the GS750TZ is more than another new model, it's a solution. In the final analysis it might not prove to be the solution but for now it's at least a solution to a dilemma that the entire Japanese motorcycle industry, not just Suzuki, has been stuck on the horns of for the last few years: how to design factory-custom motorcycles to have precisely "The Look" that is so vital to their sales success without having them all look alike.

A Catch-22 situation, indeed, and the GS750TZ is Suzuki's response to it. The TZ is a decidedly conservative approach to the problem, though, not just in a way the bike looks but in the fact that it will be the only model in the company's entire 1982 lineup styled in this fashion (all the other customs will be in the usual L-model configuration). Apparently, Suzuki wants to test the waters of acceptance for a new generation of factory-custom motorcycles by cautiously dipping in with just one toe rather than jumping in feet-first. And instead of breaking any all-new styling ground, the TZ simply attempts to split the difference between customs and standard models. The styling still captures the essence of The Great American Street Cruiser, but some of the more practical ergonomic elements have been lifted from the standard-issue Suzukis.

What emmerges from this marriage made in Hamamatsu is a clean, simple, unpretentious motorcycle that almost looks more "classic" than "custom". There is, in fact, more than a hint of Triumph, circa late sixties, in the TZ lines.

Much of that Britbike look is no doubt due to the particular profile of the TZ's 4.5-gallon teardrop tank, especially with its Triumph-like color-contrasting knee cut-outs. But the overall effect of being a latter-day classic might be the result of the bike having an unfamiliar (for this day and age) combination of familiar pieces. The gas tank, for example, has the requisite custom-bike shape and the handlebar is conventional (read: not high-rise pullbacks) fare, but the two usually aren't found on the same motorcycle. Likewise for the stepped seat, fat 17-inch rear tire and simple rear fender (all custon-bike traditions); but the seat is not radically stepped, the fenders are not bobbed short and the front fork is not--and doesn't even look to be--extended (all standard-bike traditions). The difference, therefore, between this bike and the usual factory customs is that the TZ resembles a vintage Triumph before customizing, not after.

Mechanically, the TZ offers no such controversies, being essentially an E-model GS750 with major cosmetic differences and a few mechanical dissimilarities. Most of the latter are obvious (single front disc, drum rear brake, no anti-dive mechanism on the fork, different spoke pattern on the cast wheels), and the instrumentation was lifted directly from Suzuki's L-series street customs. Otherwise, everything else is identical to it's E-model counterpart.

That should assure the GS750TZ of being an extraordinary fast, fine-handling boulevard cruiser; but the issue at stake here is not how quickly it will move in the showroom. Suzuki believes, obviously, that the custom-styled market simply has to expand and that this is one of the directions it will expand in. It's our belief that there is a growing number of riders out there who will agree with Suzuki's philosophy. And for them, it can't happen a day too soon.

Ed

GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Thanks for that article. It kind'f says what I've always thought, a very tasteful mixture of a standard & a cruiser. Personally I would have never bought a "Disco Cruser" bike, Suzuki "L", a Kawa. "LTD", a Yama. "Special", nor a Honda "Custom", but I could have been perfectly content with a "T". Very tastefully design...Model info., on this site, shows a GS650G"T", from "81" & up. I don't think I remember a 650GT. Was there such an animal???
                              1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Working...
                              X