No announcement yet.

How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never felt as comfortable at speed on the 1150 as I did the FZ1 or the VF1000R. I had the GS up above 120 a few times, but had the VFR over 140 many times and the FZ above 150 many times. Both bikes felt better at those speeds than the GS did 20-30 mph lower.
    "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
    ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
    1982 CB900f

Comment

In 83 my then new 1100e wasn't fast enough now 38 years later it's too fast.

Comment

Originally posted by red1100 View Post
        In 83 my then new 1100e wasn't fast enough now 38 years later it's too fast.
        Me too. I think my Cojones have shrunk....
        sigpic
        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
        1983 GS1100e
        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
        1980 GS1260
        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by RustyTank View Post
          I've read a stock GS850 engine tops out at around 120mph. So yeah, fast enough for who it's for.
          I think I saw test mags get 125-126. Mine has never seen an honest ton.

Comment

I got the GS550LZ on the road again and wanted to see its limits.

On a flat smooth road I got it close to 80 mph but then it started to get a bit wobbly so I let up. The motor still had plenty but there's something up in the steering or suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post
              I got the GS550LZ on the road again and wanted to see its limits.

On a flat smooth road I got it close to 80 mph but then it started to get a bit wobbly so I let up. The motor still had plenty but there's something up in the steering or suspension.

You might need to service the steering head & swing arm bearings,the front forks also.

Comment

On the Highway my Old Modded GS 1000 could easily turn 12,600 in 5th gear plus, (Usually too bust steering to watch it very closely) Stock gearing, the Speedo would be down at the Letter m in the mph thats on the speedometer so I figure 140 mile hour plus Easy.

Comment

12,600 what? 🤔
                  My Motorcycles:
                  22 Kawasaki Z900 RS (Candy Tone Blue)
                  22 BMW K1600GT (Probably been to a town near you)
                  82 1100e Drag Bike (needs race engine)
                  81 1100e Street Bike (with race engine)
                  79 1000e (all original)
                  82 850g (all original)
                  80 KZ 650F (needs restored)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                    Pontiac? But not your father's Pontiac!
                    I bet he was at Bonneville.....

Comment

HA HA Hey Guys RPM.. at least on that crappy stock Suzuki Tach. I was amazed it revved like that but had a LONG Highway to do it on. I took it back in the eighties to the track, Im 240 plus, without any front lowering no struts or even letting air out of tire It ran 11.20 at 125 with my fat arse on it. This was a lowly 1000 Modified a Lot . 29 Smooth bores ported Head cams valves springs but stock valve diameter, lobe centre 110 degrees, manual cam chain Tensioner, welded crank and clutch ,, Oil Pump Gear mod. (750 ones) Undercut and welded Transmission gears. Stiffer clutch springs and copper plated steel plates also. That old 1000 was a nice Bike . Never should of sold it.

Comment

Originally posted by Super View Post
                        Back in 1979 I had a buddy one night say.."Hey, Let's take the bike over the bridge and see what she can do." I was living in Tampa, FL at the time. So...I had a 1978 GS750 then with a huge Windjammer fairing on the front. And a somewhat tall sissy bar on the back seat..for tying down sleeping bags, backpacks, etc when I would go for trips when I was living in Albuquerque before Tampa.

So, we only had one helmet so I gave it to my friend and I would crouch behind the fairing. Did I mention it was at night ?....and raining?...oh the good old days!

Well, over Gandy Bridge we went and despite the full fairing, each of us weighing about 190 lbs, and the rain, we were able to hit 115 mph going over the bridge and about 117 mph on the way back!! Guess we had a tailwind coming back.

About a week ago, coming home with my son, he riding his 83 GS850 and me on my "somewhat new to me" 82 GS750EZ, just for fun, wanted to see what rpms I would have at 75 mph and found out it was only 5,500. I can't go too fast where I live now in TN because I'm about 10 mins from the infamous Dragon...and cops are always out in this area.
                        Back from the DEAD

I was station at McDill back in the 80's and was putting 302's in Pinto's and for fun I'd drive through the Burger King parking lot and rev my motor and a few cars would follow me out and the race was on across Gandy bridge. I gapped them all LOL. A blast from the Past.

At McDill I had my GS550 that I rode from LA to Tampa during the Summer and it would do 115 mph, then I sold it to another Service member only to buy it back in the 90's when we both PCS to Dyess when I can back from Zweibrucken Germany.
                        Last edited by RacingJake; 12-25-2022, 11:16 AM.
                        1166cc 1/8 ET 6.09@111.88
                        1166cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.70@122.85
                        1395cc 1/8 ET 6.0051@114.39
                        1395cc on NOS, 1/8 ET 5.71@113.98 "With a broken wrist pin too"
                        01 Sporty 1/8 ET 7.70@92.28, 1/4 ET 12.03@111.82

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                          I never felt as comfortable at speed on the 1150 as I did the FZ1 or the VF1000R. I had the GS up above 120 a few times, but had the VFR over 140 many times and the FZ above 150 many times. Both bikes felt better at those speeds than the GS did 20-30 mph lower.
                          Those are interesting points.

I tended to keep my GK below 120mph because, depending on wind speed and direction, it tended to lift the front end a bit which I did not like. I did have them, but never fitted the fairing lowers so I do not know if they may have helped. The 1100G would hit an indicated 230kph, or roughly 135/140 mph but it was definitely not comfortable at that speed.

Both engine and suspension on my first Bandit 12 had been modified considerably before I bought it. 120mph was not only very stable, it was easy to get there.: it would hit 120mph in third gear as the engine would pull hard well beyond its stock 9000RPM redline.

I never learned what its top speed might be as only once did I take it up to about 160. It felt rock solid at that speed.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

This is a test. Current post can be made by a moderator on this thread,
                            Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                            80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Working...
                            X