How fast is is your old GS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by janner View Post
    I used to own a GSX1400 naked, and ran it up to 155mph just the once, my helmet was all over the place and my knuckles were clenched as tight as a nuns chuff...thrilling , but never again
    "Tight as a nun's chuff" haven't heard that in years. You must be a sailor Also did yopu mean the bike was naked or you owned it when you were in the buff.

Comment

When I test drove mine

I wasn't real smart, but took it up to 100 and like you say was FAR from done. Didn't feel stable. Got her home and checked tire pressure....ya that REALLY wasn't smart. 15# front and rear (PO said commuted on it to/fro work on nice days and took him at his word). I don't know that I want to bury the 140MPH speedo.....but who knows when stupidity will strike!

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
      115 on the 700 and she wasn't done....
      Last edited by Guest; 06-01-2011, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Pulled redline in top gear on my old '79 GS550EN. Around 126mph, IIRC?

Same thing on my slightly-less-old '80 GS750ET. 132-133-ish? (85mph speedo, was pegged in third gear LOL).

And once again, on the '80 GS1100ET. Another silly 85mph speedo, probably around 137-138?

My '84 ZX900A1 Ninja was ALMOST pulling redline on a slight uphill, with my 230# butt in the saddle, around 141 indicated. The tired top-end has since been refreshed.

I'm acquiring a '00 Suzi TL1000S soon. Rumor has it that they'll pull 160+, if you have enough road. I've had it up around 130, still pulling...

Comment

120+ according to my buddy who was doing 120 when i few by him on my 82 650gl

Comment

I have had one of my EF1150's and my 1100 G up to 120mph (still with some left on the 1150, not so the 1100G) but ran out of road and will.

Back in 1980 I had a GS1000 with a 3/4 race cam (ex race bike) which I got up to 150mph (240kph if the speedo was to be believed) the front wheel was skipping as I went along/around the slightest of bends in an otherwise straight road (due to two panniers and three packs on the back forming a sail). I had to literally sit on the tank and lean over the bars to keep the front wheel in contact with the road... pretty scary

Never been that fast again. It just doesn't seem safe
            Last edited by Guest; 06-27-2011, 12:28 AM.

Comment

I have a 1980 GS1100E, only mod is low-rise bars. Took it up quite fast several times this weekend riding with buddy on VFR750. My speedo ends on 140km/hr - 85mph, so I had to ask him for results. We got the bikes close to 200km/hr - 125mph once or twice, kinda slowly because my clutch was slipping, but felt not too bad for an oldie. After few hours of riding I pushed it to beyond end of speedo on 4th gear, and it went smoothly to 200k. We were riding empty country roads, good visibility, no hidden intersections, great fun...Bike could go a bit faster for sure.

Comment

I always max out at 85mph for my '80 GS1000G even on the highway!
                I just can't seem to go any faster....

Comment

Back in 1979 I had a buddy one night say.."Hey, Let's take the bike over the bridge and see what she can do." I was living in Tampa, FL at the time. So...I had a 1978 GS750 then with a huge Windjammer fairing on the front. And a somewhat tall sissy bar on the back seat..for tying down sleeping bags, backpacks, etc when I would go for trips when I was living in Albuquerque before Tampa.

So, we only had one helmet so I gave it to my friend and I would crouch behind the fairing. Did I mention it was at night ?....and raining?...oh the good old days!

Well, over Gandy Bridge we went and despite the full fairing, each of us weighing about 190 lbs, and the rain, we were able to hit 115 mph going over the bridge and about 117 mph on the way back!! Guess we had a tailwind coming back.

About a week ago, coming home with my son, he riding his 83 GS850 and me on my "somewhat new to me" 82 GS750EZ, just for fun, wanted to see what rpms I would have at 75 mph and found out it was only 5,500. I can't go too fast where I live now in TN because I'm about 10 mins from the infamous Dragon...and cops are always out in this area.
                  sigpic

1974 GT750 ...done, running and sold
                  1974 GT550 .... under construction (done and sold)
                  1978 GS550........all stock, running (going to do 550/650 build with it)
                  1978 GS1000...another project (Given to son #2)
                  1982 GS750EZ ...daily driver(given to son#1)
                  1982 GS1100G...completed and traded to son #2 for the 750 back
                  1982 GS750EZ...daily driver (got it back in trade with son #2)
                  1983 GR650 Tempter.... engine rebuild completed (and sold)

Comment

Speed GS750E 80'

Well, had a NM state cop clock me at 110 mph on a twisty mountain road and I was slowing down at the time. He gave me a ticket for 65 in a 55. All I did was say yes sir several times. Oh this happened about 1983 or 84. Bike still pulls good to date, not bad for a 30+ year old bike. Stock even, just a pipe and heavy duty clutch springs from a 1100.
                    sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                    1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                    2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

I've hit 80 in 2nd gear on my little 650e. Am I doing something wrong here? (or very very right?)

Comment

I put an 140 clock on my 82 GS1100G. It has a full faring and bags with a trunk. I changed the ignition to the dyno and dyno coils. It has a stock pips, airbox with K&N filter. I ran it up to 110 one night on a backroad straight away, but backed down when I saw headlights. I know it would go more as it felt like it wanted too. 70 is fast enough for me and it gets there quick.
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2011, 08:58 PM. Reason: added words

Comment

GS1000G UK model 135
                          GS1000G US model 130

Fastest bikes I have owned.....

Honda Blackbird 202
                          Kawasaki ZRX 1200 162 (currently still own)
                          Kawasaki Concours 14 168 (currently still own)
                          GS850 60!!! needs fixing and bad brakes, so I'm not pushing my luck!

Comment

I love having the 140mph speedo in the 78 GS....it just feels right!

Everytime I hop on my 82, I just look at the Speedo and go "ughhh....so ugly!"

Comment

65.. On the back of a truck
                              I need to get her fixed

Comment

55, but i swear to (your deity here) it felt like 60.

Comment

Working...
                                X