Grinding Valve Shims - Anyone tried it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grinding Valve Shims - Anyone tried it?

I asked a friend, who owns a machine shop, if he thought he could take a little off the top of my valve shims. I told him they were probably really hard metal and their approximate size, and that they would have to finish up really smooth. He just said that it would be an easy job for him.

In case you were wondering, yes, I am very cheap and will try anyting to save a buck. I don't know how much it would cost but I do electrical maintenance at his shop so we'd trade work.

But I really need to know what you guys think. There's a lot of amazing insight on this forum. Thanks
    2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
    82 gs1100L probably the next project
    1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
    1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

How is precision grinding and finishing cheaper than $5 a shim?
    CRC LAW FIRM GUIDE Contact Us CRC Law Firm Guide At CRC Law Firm, we are dedicated to providing exceptional legal services and personalized representation to our clients. With a strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, and achieving favorable outcomes, we strive to be your trusted partner in navigating the complexities of the legal system. Comprehensive Legal Expertise With a diverse …

Even OEM shims are only $10 or so.

But theoretically, it should be possible as long as you always keep the ground surface down (against the bucket) and only allow the cam lobe to contact the hardened original surface.

You'll also have to find a machinist who can think in mm instead of inches. An awful lot of heartbreak can happen when someone confuses .01mm for .001 inch, but this happens all the time.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I don't think I would do it. I may not seem like much, but those shims are "mission critical" components to these engines. I'd be concerned the grinding may introduce imperfections and or somehow change the temper of the steel. You'll also wind up with "odd" sized shims which might not be useful at the next adjustment and you probably won't even be able to trade them with anybody. Some food for thought.

Comment

I had one ground down years ago, but it was only to create a thinner shim to allow an accurate measurement. For $5 a shim, I wouldn't run one that had been ground. The risk of running a shim that no longer has the proper hardening strikes me as false economy.
        JP
        1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
        1992 Concours
        2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
        2007 FJR

Comment

There is a machine that will accurately grind flat plates. It is a plate lapping machine and is a rotating table to which a light compound is added along with a lapping lubricant. The items to be flattened or trued ride inside rings that keep them centered on the table. We used to use them to repair worn plate type valves in large piston type compressors. Don't know if machine shops have them nowdays with the replacement of recip compressors by rotary screw. If they are still out there they would be capable of doing the job cheaply and accurately. Ray
          "Nobody goes there anymore, it's too crowded" -Yogi Berra
          GS Valve Shim Club http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=122394
          1978 GS1000EC Back home with DJ
          1979 GS1000SN The new hope
          1986 VFR700F2 Recycled

Comment

magnet anyone

I would be concerned about magnetizing the hardened steel with the machining process. the manual warns against getting this from using a parts picker upper, but I bet a machining operation could do the same thing.
            Yamaha fz1 2007

Comment

My local Suzuki shop will do a straight trade on shims, no charge. And they have buckets full of them. You might check with your local shop and see if they do the same. It was SOP back in the day with the Suzukis and Yamahas.
              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
              79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Well... if he's going to use a "typical" grinder. They use a magnetic chuck. which WILL magentize the shims. That is not acceptable.

Go ahead and talk to the local suzy dealer. I"m sure they'll work with you on doing shims.
                You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by renobruce
                  My local Suzuki shop will do a straight trade on shims, no charge. And they have buckets full of them. You might check with your local shop and see if they do the same. It was SOP back in the day with the Suzukis and Yamahas.
                  You're lucky -- the surly pothead teenagers at my local Suzuki shop had never even heard of a GS valve shim, never mind that a current model (the GS500) still uses them. After many rolled eyes, dumb stares, blank looks, and heavy sighing, they were finally persuaded to look up the shims, whereupon they quoted me a price of over $15 each, then glared defiantly at me until I stomped out.

I called every single Suzuki dealer in Indiana. Every one. No shims. Prices ranging from $11 to $16 each, on the few occasions when they could be persuaded to look them up rather than hang up. Arrival times quoted as "uh, maybe a coupla weeks".

I called Suzuki dealers in Cincinnati. No love. I then started calling indpendent cycle shops within 60 miles of Indy. Still no luck -- they were all now building choppers and hoping for a TV crew to show up, or they just didn't work on "Jap Crap". Nice to hear good old American racism wasn't dead, fellas. Simply lovely.

Finally (this took a few days), I admitted defeat in my quixotic quest and zipped down to Cycle Recycle II over lunch hour. $5 each for all the shims I needed.

If you live somewhere where the Suzuki dealer hires someone other than Beavis and Butthead to run the parts and service departments, consider yourself lucky. Around here, they hire baggy pantsed teens for the summer at minimum wage and fire them before the first frost.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

WOW, I feel for you. My local Suzuki shop has been in business since the early 70's. The service manager has been working there since 1980. The salesman that sold me my 1150 still works there. When I pull up on my 1000, they know what they are seeing. The benefits of a small town, I guess.
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone. I've been out of town all week and haven't been able to follow through on this yet, but, after I talk to my machinist friend again I'll post his response.

Comment

Motion Pro makes shims

and every dealer can get Motion Pro stuff, including the little depressor tool thing you need for the job. The MP shims are about 1/2 the price of Suzuki shims - just found that out today.

Comment

grinding valve shims - has anyone tried it?

As replied by Ghost GS1, there is a piece of machine shop equiptment out there that will accurately "lap" the valve shims. It is commonly used for lapping valve plates in oilfield equitment. It provides a wet lap[No heating]
                          without the use of a magnetic chuck. The material removal rate is slow and should not cause concern of potential for excessive thinning. The are lots of thicker gs shims out there that are of little use unless you are running high lift cams.
                          ------------------------------------
                          Life is the trip, not the arrival at the end!!

Canadian GS

Comment

I did it, I needed a 245 size shim, so I ordered it from my local bike shop.
                            2 frikkin weeks later it arrived! only it was a 250!
                            So re order, 12 days later it arrives!! 255!
                            So, I got the 250 back off him, and used a sheet of glass and 400 wet and dry paper and eventually I got it down to were the feelergauge was at 5 between the shim and bucket!
                            Once in, it never clacked or flew out.
                            When I had run the engine in (rings) I went ahead and got the 245 shim.

Comment

I like the using a piece of glass idea, pretty slick. I went to a local bike shop and they lent me the shim tool and traded me all the shims I needed. Didn't cost me a cent. The shop is in Perry, NY. Those guys are great, I really owe them.

Comment

Working...
                              X