Carburetor cleaning solution

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carburetor cleaning solution

Any of you guys know of the best cleaning solution to use for overhauling a carburetor? I am about to get knee deep in this thing and I dont want to assume using this or that is the most ideal. I am thinking of using mineral spirits to soak and clean the parts in. And red flags I should know about before I start? Thanks. Also I am new to this forum so please let me know if I am asking questions in the right places. This site has been extremely informative!

Use carburetor cleaner from an autoparts store. Remove all rubber and gasket parts if submerging carbs. Do not mix up parts between carbs.

Comment

Go to any auto parts store and ask for some carb dip. If they have Berrymans products, get that. I use Gunk brand carb dip, beacuse my local Auto Zone doesn't have Berrymans.
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro
        Go to any auto parts store and ask for some carb dip. If they have Berrymans products, get that. I use Gunk brand carb dip, beacuse my local Auto Zone doesn't have Berrymans.
        And the Gunk product works very well for the money. Here is review on it from the review area of the board:

Would you like to share the experiences you have had with a new accessory, part or vendor? Post your review here.

Comment

Thank you guys.

Comment

I just bought and used a can of the Berryman's Carb Dip from Autozone, and I have to say I was mightily impressed. The Kaw EX500 carbs I was working on for a friend had the usual solid clogging of many, many miniscule passages, and the Berryman's dip cleared them all out with about 45 minutes of soaking. Very impressive. Plus, it doesn't stink up your garage -- it doesn't put out a lot of vapors, and the can is pretty much a standard paint can with a metal lid. Pretty foolproof.

I assume they've changed the formula and packaging since then, but about five years ago, I bought a can of the Gunk carb dip and was quite disappointed. It was very stinky, and the vapors started to attack the chintzy plastic lid provided, quickly making the problem worse. As a carb cleaner, it was about as useful as taking the carbs out back and whizzing on them.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

[quote=bwringer] As a carb cleaner, it was about as useful as taking the carbs out back and whizzing on them.

Just curious here, do you often whiz on your carbs? Some special ritual I should be aware of??? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                I just bought and used a can of the Berryman's Carb Dip from Autozone, and I have to say I was mightily impressed. The Kaw EX500 carbs I was working on for a friend had the usual solid clogging of many, many miniscule passages, and the Berryman's dip cleared them all out with about 45 minutes of soaking. Very impressive. Plus, it doesn't stink up your garage -- it doesn't put out a lot of vapors, and the can is pretty much a standard paint can with a metal lid. Pretty foolproof.

I assume they've changed the formula and packaging since then, but about five years ago, I bought a can of the Gunk carb dip and was quite disappointed. It was very stinky, and the vapors started to attack the chintzy plastic lid provided, quickly making the problem worse. As a carb cleaner, it was about as useful as taking the carbs out back and whizzing on them.
                They have changed it for sure then Brian. Most people now-a-days are actually preferring the Gunk product over the Berrymans. That is saying something. I never got to use any of the stuff you had but in my review of it you will see that I say about the same things about it as you did about the Berrymans.

So for sure this must be an improved product. Comes in the same type can you mentioned for 11 bucks, no gaggy smell or strong fumes, works extremely well at removing the gum. Very positive results. It is deemed to be a safer product than the Berrymans and costs less. I know it costs less but am not sure if it is in fact safer and "environmentally friendly" like they claim it is though

Comment

I use methylene chloride, toluene, and hexanes 1:1:2. works better than any store bought. For very dirty stuff I'll sometime throw in some chloroform.

Comment

Originally posted by acmemetalfab
                    I use methylene chloride, toluene, and hexanes 1:1:2. works better than any store bought. For very dirty stuff I'll sometime throw in some chloroform.
                    It's not often that someone with giant bleeding holes in their brain from industrial solvents can type a complete sentence... :-D :-D :-D

J/K...

I'm sure you have all the proper equipment to contain evil vapors, but for my home garage, the less stinky the better. And that applies to any solvents I use, too.
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                      They have changed it for sure then Brian. Most people now-a-days are actually preferring the Gunk product over the Berrymans. That is saying something. I never got to use any of the stuff you had but in my review of it you will see that I say about the same things about it as you did about the Berrymans.

So for sure this must be an improved product. Comes in the same type can you mentioned for 11 bucks, no gaggy smell or strong fumes, works extremely well at removing the gum. Very positive results. It is deemed to be a safer product than the Berrymans and costs less. I know it costs less but am not sure if it is in fact safer and "environmentally friendly" like they claim it is though
                      I figured that Gunk had made some improvements since my disappointment. Just curious -- is the Gunk glop clear so you can see the parts?

The Berrymans is a truly evil looking opaque brown sludge. It could definitely star in a horror movie. I'd swear there's an idle screw washer still in there, but I'm certainly not going in after it.
                      Eat more venison.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                        I figured that Gunk had made some improvements since my disappointment. Just curious -- is the Gunk glop clear so you can see the parts?

The Berrymans is a truly evil looking opaque brown sludge. It could definitely star in a horror movie. I'd swear there's an idle screw washer still in there, but I'm certainly not going in after it.
                        LOL! I know what you mean about that. I have used the commercial dip at a motorcycle shop already and it was black as mud. Works incredibly well but after watching it eat holes in the rag I was using to wipe it off of my parts I wasn't willing to stick my hand in there to fish out those small parts I was sure fell through the screen

The new Gunk dip is clear. It has color but is clear. Kind of like a nice rich Pilsner in color (don't drink it :shock: ) but clear enough that you can see right to the bottom of the can.

Give it another shot, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

Comment

Working...
                        X