GS850 Raask Rear Sets Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS850 Raask Rear Sets Install

Hello, Purchased a set of Raask Rear Sets for my GS850, they arrived today Melbourne Australia, I waited about 2 months to receive these, openned the package, they look like a quality item, searched for the installation instructions, much to my suprise found a half sheet, 2 photo page what Raask call mounting instructions. Now I am fairly mechanically minded, and can turn my hand to most mechanical jobs / installs, but they have to be kidding, the photo's arn't even of a GS850!

Has anyone else struck this problem? How'd you go about installing the rearsets with these (waste of time even looking at them) instructions?

Any information is much appreciated.

Thanks LJR47

Well, I only have more questions, but at least your topic gets a bump. What year 850? The frames changed in '82 (model year Z), so the mounting could be significantly different. Do you have the aluminum rear peg brackets, or do (did) your rear pegs mount to part of the steel frame. A Goggle image search turns up several examples, but not many specifically for a GS850. That's not a common performance platform, but it has a lot in common with the GS bikes that are.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Right I'm not sure how I'm going to be able to help you but I will try. I bought a set too, couple of years ago and had the exact same experience. I have a GS1100G but the mounting is most likely to be the same.

When I first got them, I couldn't for the life of me, even decide how the frame parts were mounted on the bike and once you have disassembled the brake set up, you will have a hard time trying to figure out how to put them back together again.

But do not despair, we are not the only ones:

Raask Install Problems

Another Raask Install Problem

Oh Here's Another Raask Istalation Problem

You'll Love This One - I laughed when I read this one.

Anyhow, after one heck of a lot of head scratching and the help of those with far more grey matter than I, we ended up with the job done:

First thing you can see from the pics is the orientation and fitting of the back plates. The gear lever seems pretty straight forward too. It's the brake pedal that's the swine - is it not?

Now this is the rub - I can't even tell you what I did! Ha ha. It was some time ago and my mate did quite a bit of the fiddling but what I can do it take some very detailed photos and give you some guides.

Tell me exactly where you are with the install and where you see the problem.
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
      GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
      Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Thanks Richard for the info.
        My GS850 is an 81 model, the brackets for the rear sets look nothing like on your bike, mine look a lot like the units installed on the Honda in your first link.

I've been pulling my hair out trying to fit these, I'm confident that they are not going to fit. (Especailly if they are for a honda! although they do have GS850 cast on them).

Where am I with the install? Everything is packed up and put back in the box they were delivered in, I've got the ****s with these rear sets. (The ****s is an Aussie term for "had enough").

Dogma has asked about my rear foot pegs, they were mounted to the Aluminium bracket which was attached to the frame.

I've contacted the supplier here in Aus and explained the issue, told him I want to return the units and get my money refunded, he is reluctant and is contacting Raask to see if they'll take them back. (Go figure)

When I had a look at your install, my mounting points are the same as yours, yet my raask brackets are completely different, yours loo k like they are for the 82' onwards model.

There's a company in America, Rycamotors, who fabricate rearsets, they look like a quality product, I'd have to fabricate mounting brackets for them, and also purchase their universal linkage set, works out about the same price as the raask.

Thanks again to you and Dogma for your help with this issue.
        LJR47

Comment

Yours should be the same set up as my cycle...mines an '80. You should have a hoop each side for the pass pegs - right? The frames changed a little in '82/'83{?} to where they used aluminum plates to mount the pass pegs on {no more hoops} but they anchored in mostly the same spots....foot pegs mounts are the same, but there's a mounting lug on the vertical frame, as added support, for those new style pass peg plate sections.
          Btw- I'll assume you have a G model...not an L {not that I care either way - just for reference sake}.
          I had Raasks on my last old H-2...squat for instructions - must be a common theme...but those were easy to figure out.

Comment

Curious as to what they sent you...Fs 27 {850/1000G '81} or Fs 28 {850/1000G '82}...I passed on Raask for the lack of an "'80" model.

The Fs 28 set looks to mount to the bolted on pass pegs that the '82 on models have, while the Fs 27 set looks to mount to "1" forward peg hole and an upper hole in the frame - no pass peg mounting since the '80/'81 have welded on pass pegs on the frame hoops.
            {edit}...looks as though the '81 style will use one of the rear engine mounts to bolt to....looking at my bike.
            Keep in mind that the shaft drive Gs weren't as popular to mod as the chain drive models...so there's little aftermarket support for us. If I could figure a way to take a mid eighties model Suzi Intruder shaft drive hub and make it fit my '80, I'd re-lace a larger spoked rim on her...that would be cool, a spoked shafty!
            Last edited by Guest; 02-13-2016, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Hello,
              To be honest with you I'm not sure which model I have, but looking at the manual and things like size of carbs, disc brakes, transistorised ignition, handle bar layout, I think its a GS850GT ?? On the compliance plate it quotes 12/81 for the year of manufacture. It did have the aluminium plates for the rear foot pegs. The Raask units that I have been sent are the FS27's. Now you might be able to advise me, when ever I order parts I have been asked for the frame number i.e. GS850-131761 what can be assertained from this?

Thanks LJR47

Comment

A GS850GT is an '80 model...the "T" designates the year. If your build tag says "81" then yours might officially be an '82 since they get built before they're sold...I can't confirm this though due to the fact my bike doesn't have that sticker when someone repainted the frame.

If you have the aluminum plates that the pass pegs mount to, then you have an '82 and those Fs27 rear sets won't work for you - I'm pretty sure, at least. Having the aluminum pieces/peg mounts means you'd need the FS28's. Remember, while the bikes look alike, there are subtle differences between them like how/where the pegs mount...tank attachment and sizes...seat styles and attachment...then there's the "G" vs the "L" types thing too, for the shaft drive bikes.
                Can you post a nice side shot of your bike...as I recall, you guys should be on the tail end of summer there {opposite of us here}...

Comment

Londonboards/Rich, how did you, and that's if you did, set the brake arm stop with that set up so the rear brake isn't dragging at all?

Comment

Well there is a return spring on the Raask assembly and when it's assembled correctly, the return spring will bring the brake pedal back up to stop any dragging.

The problem is, the bolt that holds the peg onto the frame (which you can't see as it's under the peg in my pic) when tightened, will have the effect of preventing the return spring from working. This is where all the washers come in. If you get the washers in the right place, then you can tighten up the foot peg bolt and there is still play in the brake arm, allowing it to move freely.

Hope that helps.
                    Richard
                    sigpic
                    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
                    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
                    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
                    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

Comment

Originally posted by londonboards View Post
                      Well there is a return spring on the Raask assembly and when it's assembled correctly, the return spring will bring the brake pedal back up to stop any dragging.

The problem is, the bolt that holds the peg onto the frame (which you can't see as it's under the peg in my pic) when tightened, will have the effect of preventing the return spring from working. This is where all the washers come in. If you get the washers in the right place, then you can tighten up the foot peg bolt and there is still play in the brake arm, allowing it to move freely.

Hope that helps.
                      I think I got it...the washers are required to not compress the spring together so it won't bind...a given gap lets it wind/ unwind freely...good idea though a turn downed peg shaft would have fixed that.

Comment

Working...
                      X