GS1150 ES Makeover Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1150 ES Makeover Project

We Brits seem to have a love affair with imported US bikes at the moment. We are importing them by the container load. There are a number of reasons for this. Firstly, all of our bikes of this age have rotted or rusted out and most of them were used as a primary means of transport, so they are high mileage and well used. Secondly, these kind of bikes in the US were purchased mainly for recreation and are therefore usually very low mileage. And because in the southern states, the climate is drier, the bikes are in far better condition. There also seem to be hoards of old farts like me that have taken up this bike restoration hobby as a full time business. So there is a bit of background.

Tons of hi-res pics in the blog for the bike: See my Suzuki GS1150ES Restoration Blog

I have just taken delivery of this little baby:

This is my third project, running concurrently, (see signature) with my 2 Suzuki GS1100Gs. I just love these bikes.

I am going to do a makeover on this one. It's costing me a fortune to do a nuts and bolts resto on my Dad's old bike and I've spent quite a bit on my Road Runner project too. So we will getting this going (it's a non runner right now) to determine if the motor is OK first. If it is then I will tart it up and ride it.

Here we go.

It was owned by a guy in Nevada who obviously worked for the Department of Defense (soldier, sailor or airman?):

And looks like it was last used on the road in 2010:

It has a non-standard oil cooler which is twice as wide as the regular one with hoses that touch the headers and fins that have been well battered:

It has a great Supertrapp stainless exhaust system which I can't wait to hear:

Last edited by londonboards; 01-15-2015, 03:30 PM.
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

More about the bike

Forks look OK:

It has a non-standard or home made bellypan with cut outs for the engine cases:

And one of the case covers needs a little work:

Chain and teeth look to be OK but very dry:

And no covers for the end of the swing arm:

Seat has been modified by having most of the padding removed. Short legs:

Brakes are good and free:

Richard
    sigpic
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Even more about the bike

Lots of work to do on the body panels:

and lots of lugs missing from the push on panels (as usual):

No keys with the bike that fit any of the locks so get it off:

Mileage registers as 64,227:

If this bike used the same mirrors as the infamous Cooley ones then it is no surprise that they are missing:

Richard
      sigpic

Comment

Getting under the covers

Let's pull some of the covers off and see what we have.

First off, we have no air box, filter box and associated equipment:

Perhaps this bike had K & Ns or similar. I will have to check the jetting. I will replace with standard air box.

Carb slides look very black:

Fuse cover panel missing:

Choke cable broken:

Non standard fuel hose:

Grips are toast:

Richard
        sigpic

Comment

More under the covers

I got the carbs off.

Manual aftermarket cam chain tensioner. I will have to find out how to adjust these. Looks like it's blue anodized to match the bodywork (not):

Carb rubbers are quite hard but I will have a go at using them:

Frame number:

Engine number:

Head looks like it was painted crinkle black but it's now all coming off:

Richard
          sigpic

Comment

gsx11

you get everywhere ! cheers nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickp View Post
              could say the same about you Nick

Comment

Originally posted by nickp View Post
                You sent my stuff out yet? Actually, don't need it until next week so don't panic. Looking forward to getting going on this one.

Greetings
                Richard
                sigpic

Comment

Nice to see some close up picks, looks good overall

Comment

I bought a Brit bike last year 84 GSX1100EFG that was built by a guy named Terry Kieser over there. I got a super deal on it too.
                    My stable
                    84 GSX1100EFG-10.62 @ 125 mph 64'' W/B.
                    85 GS1150-9.72@146mph stock W/B.
                    88 GSXR1100-dragbike 9.18@139.92mph/5.68@118mph.
                    98 Bandit 1200-9.38@146mph/6.02@121mph.
                    90 Suzuki GS 1425cc FBG Pro Stock chassis 5.42@124mph
                    06 GSXR750 10.44@135mph
                    00 Honda elite 80 pit bike

Comment

Lots of money

Originally posted by Paul View Post
                      Nice to see some close up picks, looks good overall
                      Cheers Paul. Putting it back to showroom would cost a fortune. All that body work, painting and so on would be £100s and £100s. Just going to do a quick makeover except I can see myself getting that frame powder coated.
                      Richard
                      sigpic

Comment

Carb Strip

OK on with my very favourite (spelling is good guys!) job - the carb strip.

These are pretty similar to the 2 sets I have already done on my GS1100Gs. The differences being that they have tin caps on them which to be honest are a bit naff (translate = crap). Secondly, they are painted black and half of the paint is coming off. I think they were probably black from the showroom but these ones have a very amateur black paint job. I am going to run this bike with naked carbs.

Everything about them is black. Even the slides and butterflies:

All the mixture adjustment screws are free (phew) - the mallet is just in case:

Fuel drained from the bowls was very "fruity":

Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

More carb stripping

Getting them apart was OK with a gentle impact driver and the correct bit:

Some pretty interesting **** inside. Tell me Doctor, how long has this bike been deceased?:

Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Fully on board for this one The carb slides come with some sort of black anodized coating on them, and the valve cover is a wrinkle finish, and tends to flake. The mirrors are not Cooley units, but are 1150es specific as far as I know. Good luck with the work. Im happy to see an 1150 resto.
                            Last edited by dorkburger; 03-05-2014, 10:12 PM. Reason: misspell
                            sigpic
                            When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                            -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                            -Rusty old scooter.
                            Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                            https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                            https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

How, those carbies are gunked up !! Is that seafoam that has been sprayed in there?

Comment

Working...
                              X