GS1100G Road Runner Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS1100G Road Runner Project

Got my next GS1100G today and the idea is to have it on the road right away. This is the second GS1100G in my ownership at present. The first one is having a total nuts and bolts rebuild that looks like taking another 18 months at least. See here:

My Dad's GS1100G Rebuild Project Thread

So I bought this one to get me on the road as soon as possible and eventually to be either a parts store for the first one or to complete a running restoration on.

Here she is:

She runs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPzyi62ivks

Bit lumpy. Middle 2 cylinders wet on the plugs. Outer 2 are tan coloured.

First jobs: carb strip and valve check (thanks Agemax!) and some tyres and to take it for a vehicle inspection (MOT in the UK).

Lets get this guy on the road.

Greetings
    Richard
    sigpic
    GS1150 EF bought Jun 2015
    GS1150 ES bought Mar 2014: ES Makeover Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
    GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
    Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50
    Join the United Kingdom (UK) Suzuki GS Facebook Group here

the rear tyre looks good, is it just old?
    i would do a basic electrics makeover as well. nothing to serious but just go through it and check all grounds are clean and tight and the same with all the block connectors.
    you can get more involved later on if it needs it
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Age - I think the front is done in but rear looks OK:

Front:

Rear:

Greetings
      Richard
      sigpic
      GS1100 G (2) bought Aug 2013: Road Runner Project Thread AND blog: Go to the Blog
      GS1100 G (1) Dad bought new 1985 (in rebuild) see: Dad's GS1100 G Rebuild AND blog: Go to the Blog
      Previously owned: Suzuki GS750 EF (Canada), Suzuki GS750 (UK)(Avatar circa 1977), Yamaha XT500, Suzuki T500, Honda XL125, Garelli 50

Comment

Forget the tread depth and brand name, what are the last three or four digits of the DOT code?

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Forget the tread depth and brand name, what are the last three or four digits of the DOT code?

Do they have those in the UK? You might need to just recommend a maximum age.
          Dogma
          --
          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
          '80 GS850 GLT
          '80 GS1000 GT
          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

yep, we have them on UK tyres as well, except nobody takes any notice of them, even the MOT inspectors......
            1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Fantastic! I see you have an 80mph speedo with 13 k miles. Nice low miles to bad your limited to 80mph. I never go more than 80. Your inspiring me to get mine going. Thanks for posting and cheers!

cg
              sigpic
              83 GS1100g
              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Great looking second bike and the fact you were able to start it, fantastic. Ya, those tires are toast. They'll never pass inspection anyways. Funny how the bike started right after you stood it straight up instead of leaning on the kick stand. I doubt it had anything to do with anything, probably just the fact you primed the carbs enough but sure was funny on the video. Good job!
                Rob
                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Slap some new rubber on it and ride it! (Love the picture size/resolution by the way!)

Comment

More Examinations

I think this means new seals.

And some weeping from around here:

Not sure if that is gasket or the rubber D causing the problem. I guess it's new of both.

Stator/rectifier seems to be working.

Richard
                    sigpic

Comment

Yes it looks like you have a bit of "Basic Maintanence" to catch up on. I wouldn't consider the meter readings real strong and would clead up all the electrical connections to see if you can get that 13.36 up to 14 or so. I'm glad you're getting to play with something that is running. It helps keep the soul motivated.

Love the brand of meter you have. I wonder if the Archbishop has one? Forgive me.

cg
                      Last edited by Charlie G; 08-10-2013, 11:23 AM.
                      sigpic
                      83 GS1100g
                      2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Charlie - You are so right. My restoration of the other GS1100 has been going a year now and whilst I am delighted at the progress, I can now see that at this rate it would be at least another 18 months plus before I get it back on the road. I do not want to rush it.

So having this other bike which is nearly roadworthy is great. I will soon be back on the road and be able to join some of the local bike meets (Suzuki Owners Club and VJMC) and runs. And being around other bikers is always good for the soul.

Thank you for your support.

Greetings
                        Richard
                        sigpic

Comment

More jobs to do

Got a few more jobs to do to get this baby running sweetly:

Carbs off:

Bit grungy inside:

Rubber bungs nice and soft - I am suprised:

New manifold 'O' rings for sure:

Richard
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post

Made in Germany sold in the UK. Why would it need to have a DOT code?

Cleaning the seals may work, and those tires are toast. Crispy critters.
                            sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Strip Down

Getting going on this little project now. I only have a few weeks to get her on the road before winter rears it's ugly head and fair weather bikers like me retreat to the garage.

See My Road Runner Blog - Strip Down

Cam cover off first (I should have noted which length bolts came out of which holes)

I used Steve's Excell spreadsheet and measured all the shims and clearances.

This one was tight:

Cleaned up gasket surfaces:

Greetings
                              Richard
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X