Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So now I am grasping at straws.
    Are we talking metal or the resin?

No matter my new unit works just fine and the heat at eh engine case is less during a touch.

Comment

Just asking

I have only had my 83 gs11 for a short time, working out the bugs before riding season. This thread has been very interesting. I bought a used R-R for a 08 honda cbr 1000 to install on my bike. Is this unit a series type , or FET or are they the same? I still get around with a 1972 ford truck with contact points and a carburetor so all this hi-tech electronic stuff is confusing. any help or advise would be helpful.

Comment

found it

Just took a long look at the shindengen web site that niclpnut linked to and found all of my answers. I'm sold on the the series reg-rect. and have yet to install the FH008EB.

Comment

Originally posted by smoothbored View Post
          Just took a long look at the shindengen web site that niclpnut linked to and found all of my answers. I'm sold on the the series reg-rect. and have yet to install the FH008EB.
          Just so you know FH008EB is a FET SHUNT R/R not a SERIES R/R

Comment

SH-775 results seem to be confirmed it is a SERIES R/R and the R/R of choice for all 3 Phase PM charging systems which includes almost all GS charging system.

Results discussion.

Current Avaliablity

Technical Info posts that are deemed to be important or popular will be placed here for easier access. If you feel a post should be moved from the Technical Info forum to here then PM the Administrator with your request.

Comment

Hi guys - quick intro:
              posplayr referred me here to introduce the SH775 (we have exchanged a little correspondence over the years regarding Regulator Technology)
              I've been long time advocate (one of early adopters) of the Shindengen MOSFET which I have always promoted as a reliability fix for high failure SCR Shunt Regulators - while recognizing does nothing for the stator reliability.
              Generally has been the best solution from cost-effective perspective for those bikes/models which have high R/R failure rates but do not readily burn stators
              However I do recognize the benefits of Series Regulation and waiting for suitable (read affordable!!) opportunity to get on board.
              I recently picked up a Compufire 55402 for a great price and looking forward to doing some testing (although not much new to learn there after all the work posplayr & others here have done has done in that regard).

So enough on the background - just wished to offer my congrats & appreciation to those pioneering this recent application development (looks like the R/R itself has been around for a few years, but found new life in after-market thanks to efforts of various on this forum).
              I have added this as a suggestion on my own forum thread & linked back to a couple of those threads on here. It is an excellent candidate for a couple of the Triumph models.
              Excited to see that Shindengen has another couple of higher current Series models in development - we'll look forward to those making an appearance.

I did want to offer one tidbit in return however - Triumph has an OEM link lead that is only about $10 that connects to this form factor
              - the Triumph Part Number is T2500676

It was introduced by Triumph as part of a retrofit kit to MOSFET R/R to plug n play into their std wiring harness (HUGE failure rate of SCR Shunt R/R on one particular model due to poor placement/cooling resulting in overheating and subsequent fail).

The price is incredibly attractive:
              Even if the input/output connectors do not match up exactly with your application, it is going to be much more cost effective to replace those on the Triumph harness, than buying the Furukawas which are significantly more expensive!!
              So worth considering - should be able to order from any local Triumph dealer or on-line
              e.g. http://www.triumphmcparts.com/produc.../T2500676.html

Incidentally cheapest I have found currently for the SH775 is here $60 + ~$13 shipping

While researching, I came across this simulation of a 3 phase SCR Bridge Rectifier with varying firing angle - nice graphical display of how these things work.

User Guide for Thyristor Three Phase Bridge FunctionFor more info: https://www.labvolt.com/solutions/50-9069-30_thyristor_control_function_set
              Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2013, 04:20 PM.

Comment

That is an excellent price on the connector / lead set, even if we wind up cutting off the ends & soldering. A lot less than I paid just a few months ago.

We've found some on ebay that were reasonably priced (not like this, though!) that still required open-barrel crimps, which are OK as long as you have the tools. This set is ready-made. Thanks for the link.

RB
                and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by subid View Post
                  Here are a couple on Ebay $61.25 shipped

http://www.ebay.com/itm/13-Polaris-R...825801&vxp=mtr
                  No where do I see the Polaris part #4012941 on this ebay offering- without it I doubt it's a SH775 (series ) R/R, so buyer beware and buy from Polaris dealer to be sure!
                  1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by D'Ecosse View Post
                    Hi guys - quick intro:
                    posplayr referred me here to introduce the SH775 (we have exchanged a little correspondence over the years regarding Regulator Technology)
                    I've been long time advocate (one of early adopters) of the Shindengen MOSFET which I have always promoted as a reliability fix for high failure SCR Shunt Regulators - while recognizing does nothing for the stator reliability.
                    Generally has been the best solution from cost-effective perspective for those bikes/models which have high R/R failure rates but do not readily burn stators
                    However I do recognize the benefits of Series Regulation and waiting for suitable (read affordable!!) opportunity to get on board.
                    I recently picked up a Compufire 55402 for a great price and looking forward to doing some testing (although not much new to learn there after all the work posplayr & others here have done has done in that regard).

So enough on the background - just wished to offer my congrats & appreciation to those pioneering this recent application development (looks like the R/R itself has been around for a few years, but found new life in after-market thanks to efforts of various on this forum).
                    I have added this as a suggestion on my own forum thread & linked back to a couple of those threads on here. It is an excellent candidate for a couple of the Triumph models.
                    Excited to see that Shindengen has another couple of higher current Series models in development - we'll look forward to those making an appearance.

I did want to offer one tidbit in return however - Triumph has an OEM link lead that is only about $10 that connects to this form factor
                    - the Triumph Part Number is T2500676

It was introduced by Triumph as part of a retrofit kit to MOSFET R/R to plug n play into their std wiring harness (HUGE failure rate of SCR Shunt R/R on one particular model due to poor placement/cooling resulting in overheating and subsequent fail).

The price is incredibly attractive:
                    Even if the input/output connectors do not match up exactly with your application, it is going to be much more cost effective to replace those on the Triumph harness, than buying the Furukawas which are significantly more expensive!!
                    So worth considering - should be able to order from any local Triumph dealer or on-line
                    e.g. http://www.triumphmcparts.com/produc.../T2500676.html

Incidentally cheapest I have found currently for the SH775 is here $60 + ~$13 shipping

While researching, I came across this simulation of a 3 phase SCR Bridge Rectifier with varying firing angle - nice graphical display of how these things work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24U0GaBx-o
                    Welcome D'Ecosse, I'm glad you found you way over. That is a nice find on those connectors.

Sorry I forgot to ask everybody here if they have any observations about the amount of heat the SH-775 produces especially in comparison to a SHUNT MOSFET.

Anybody have any observations empirical or qualitative?

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      .... Sorry I forgot to ask everybody here if they have any observations about the amount of heat the SH-775 produces especially in comparison to a SHUNT MOSFET....
                      Thanks for asking that -
                      You might expect that there would be less heat generated than in shunt mode, with typically a shorter duty cycle in conduction, especially at the higher engine rpms. And of course there is 'only' load current vs shunt current. But the flip side is there are 6 SCRs as opposed to (typically) three in shunt unit.
                      The spec shows that the current rating goes from 14A to 27A with just 1m/s of airflow - that is 2.2 mph!
                      So even if not in the direct airstream (as installed on very front of bike) it should certainly be feasible to attain even this minor flow requirement without too much difficulty.

But still interested in even empirical observations, and helpful if you can estimate the current load. (i.e. lights, any accessories etc)
                      Data from something with a FI system, multiple lights, heated gear etc, would be most helpful to see how hot it runs under higher loads.
                      Ideally I should stick one on my Triumph - it would be plug n play from my MOSFET unit - it has Fuel Pump, Twin headlights and radiator fan that sucks a lot of current when it comes on (which it will if just left idling) - be interesting to see how the voltage stands up with that load at idle too!

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        Welcome D'Ecosse, I'm glad you found you way over. That is a nice find on those connectors.

Sorry I forgot to ask everybody here if they have any observations about the amount of heat the SH-775 produces especially in comparison to a SHUNT MOSFET.

Anybody have any observations empirical or qualitative?
                        The empirical one is that it hasn't made a blind bit of difference on mine... (coming from an FH012 Shunt Mosfet)
                        1980 GS1000G - Sold
                        1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                        1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                        1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                        2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                        1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                        2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
                          The empirical one is that it hasn't made a blind bit of difference on mine... (coming from an FH012 Shunt Mosfet)
                          So what does it take to get your MOSFET/SH-775 hot?

(this is not really intended to be a personal question )

Comment

This may be a stupid question, but can you use a series R/R like everyone is recommending on any model suzuki?
                            1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
                            1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
                            2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                              This may be a stupid question, but can you use a series R/R like everyone is recommending on any model suzuki?
                              Not all models. A lot of gsxr's have alternators and do't need hem. Any GS on the other hand needs one or equivalent.

Comment

Working...
                              X