Series Regulator Source SH775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Great work Steve. Now where is the cheapest place to get that Triumph connector from?
    And what is the cheapest mobil phone plan?

Oh yea, I need to update my car insurance also.

Comment

Hey Steve -what about Procaliber in Washington- order two @ $65 each -orders over $99 get free shipping in standard box- Of course, who knows if they are in stock!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Ed, I bought my connectors at Eastern Beaver when I bought my new fuse block.

Steve,
        I also bought mine from 2Wheel on Sunday and am still waiting for it. They said it should ship in the next few days, hopefully
        Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
        1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
        2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
        Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
        and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
          OK,

A question? I've had somebody tell me that a 775 isn't a good choice since it "uses" SCRs and isn't a MOFSET type. He said a FH020AA was better... it was 'cheap insurance'.

I'm guessing that if the 775 was a shunt type, maybe he'd have a point?
          Shunt baaaad, Series Way more better period. Mine is the Compufire, been on my bike for about 4 or so years now.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Just ordered my SH775 from Polarisparts123...my shipping quote was a bit less than 20.00; made my total 76.00, so I just ordered from them; picked up that Triumph wiring lead online as well.

Also ordered my Dyna green coils and wires from Z1.

The Ole Girl is finally going to get some TLC
            Last edited by Cassius086; 02-07-2014, 06:08 PM.
            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
              Steve,
              I also bought mine from 2Wheel on Sunday and am still waiting for it. They said it should ship in the next few days, hopefully
              Just got an e-mail that was time-stamped half an hour ago, saying that the order was shipped today.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yea, mine was stamped for about 7ish...I'm thinking it will be here Monday which means I get to have my electrical done by next weekend
                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

So I started work on replacing fasteners and prepping things for replacement of the stock R/R with the SH775...except it won't fit in the OEM position.

Mounting hole spacing is good, but clearance at the bottom is no good due to the connections.

However, if I move the 775 up to the top of the GS's mounting plate, the plugs will clear, I think. BUT this will require grinding down the top heat sink fin nearly all the way. I'm thinking that is a bad idea...

Do you think that the R/R will get enough air flow if I mount it on the back side of the mounting plate in the battery bay?

No airbox, so there should be plenty of room.
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

So I started work on replacing fasteners and prepping things for replacement of the stock R/R with the SH775...except it won't fit in the OEM position.

Mounting hole spacing is good, but clearance at the bottom is no good due to the connections.

However, if I move the 775 up to the top of the GS's mounting plate, the plugs will clear, I think. BUT this will require grinding down the top heat sink fin nearly all the way. I'm thinking that is a bad idea...

Do you think that the R/R will get enough air flow if I mount it on the back side of the mounting plate in the battery bay?

Grinding some of the heat sink will probably not have any affect. Just try to avoid going too far beyond and into the potting material. Even if you just touch the potting material that won't be bad either, but if you persist eventually you will hit electronics.

You can also just put spades directly to the R/R and epoxy/RTV the shell of the R/R. You could even put some solder directly on the spades before epoxy filling. Those inputs can take quite a bit of heat. Now you have pigtails which are much easier to deal with in cramped quarters.

Comment

Don't fret it will get plenty of airflow-your legs create lots of turbulence! here's mine, upside down , mounted under rear gastank support. easy to check
                      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

What is interfering? In my case (GS850G) the power connector was slightly interfering with the Ignitor. I spaced out the Ignitor a quarter inch. Can you move around what is in the way?
                        sigpic
                        09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
                        1983 GS1100e
                        82\83 1100e Frankenbike
                        1980 GS1260
                        Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

I just used this price list to get some leverage at my local Polaris dealer, he matched the price, even knocked it off a little so that even with sales tax it would be equal to the internet price with shipping. It took about four days to get to the dealer.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by bobgroger View Post
                            What is interfering? In my case (GS850G) the power connector was slightly interfering with the Ignitor. I spaced out the Ignitor a quarter inch. Can you move around what is in the way?
                            Bob, the 12v plug housing interferes with the frame. Going to see about finagling it a bit...the R/R, not the frame. ha!
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

I created a bracket that mounts to the front engine mount. I used the upper bolt on the frame. THe bracket goes very close in front of the frame over to the other side and back to the opposite upper bolt. I used a 2"x1/8" steel. This provided a nice surface for the regulator. I drilled two holes to mount the regulator centered.

I created an adapter with about 24" of length using heavy grade wire so that I don't have to change any of the current plugs. This actually allows me to keep the traditional shunt r/r mounted and available as a backup. It's easy to plug/unplug from one to the other.

So far it seems to be working well and of course gets plenty of air. I made sure to mount the regulator so it doesn't block the air to the cylinder fins. It sits just above the oil filter so it doesn't block changing that when needed.
                              Last edited by Guest; 03-21-2014, 02:25 PM.

Comment

A Note for the Aussies

Just a quick one for any Aussies reading this thread and thinking of buying a SH775...

I got a price here in Aus, $156 for the Polaris branded SH775 plus $11.50 freight, making $167.50.

The best price I could find online from the US was Partzilla for $US67.92 plus $US39.99 shipping.

After the $AU conversion I was still able to buy 5L oil (Penrite HPR15 15w50 diesel $40) for the next oil change and have $5 change, so it still pays not to buy it locally unless you're in a hurry...

My R/R won't ship until the 26th March so it'll be a few weeks 'til I get it. At this stage I'm not in a hurry so that's fine.

The only thing left is to source the connectors. Getting Robert Barr to ship one of his is $US23.50 so I'll see if the Triumph part is cheaper than that to buy locally. The connector is something like $US9.42 from memory as a comparison.
                                1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                                1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Working...
                                X