No announcement yet.

Series Regulator Source SH775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did a little digging on Ebay and found that Can-Am and SeaDoo also use this SH775 Regulator, then cross-referenced the models under which they were listed in OEM Fiche to find OEM part # 710001103.
    Note that the Can Am version has suffix AA vs the Polaris version with suffix BA.
    (Both versions actually also have their respective Supplier Part number stamped on them, above the SH775xx)

(second pic from niclpnut's opening post)

However - new price is about 2x that what it is for the exact same Polaris part - even sold at the same Dealer Parts Suppliers!!!
    However I add the reference because there are quite a lot of these on the Used breaker market on EBay - most however (at time of writing) are about the same price as the best-priced new Polaris Part suppliers (around $60) - but there could be other opportunities for the bargain-hunters.
    If buying used off EBay be careful to check the model is sourced from if the image of the R/R type on end plate is not displayed - CanAm also used MOSFET Shunt R/R which of course are same form factor and look outwardly identical.

Incidentally I was encouraged to see that on some of the Polaris EFI models with the SH775, it runs with Dual Headlights with H13 halogens; so the load supplied should be pretty much in line with bikes with Dual Headlights, somehere in the 200-275W continuous running.
    I might try to pick up an SH775 which would be plug n play swap for my current FH012 MOSFET, on the Triumph just to do some heat-soak & electrical testing.
    If anyone would like to short term loan - or donate - in the interest of 'science' to get further data at higher load, that would certainly be appreciated.
    I have already invested in a Compufire (yet to be installed) so no disposable cash to buy something - I don't really need - right now.
    Last edited by Guest; 08-30-2013, 09:12 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info- I wonder who else is using these.
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Mine is working fine.
        NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
        Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Not all models. A lot of gsxr's have alternators and do't need hem. Any GS on the other hand needs one or equivalent.
          Cool. Just ordered one as my bike still has a tiny OEM version. Where do you guys normally mount it?
          1982 GS550M Rebuilt Winter '12 - 550 to 673cc engine conversion.
          1989 Kawasaki ZX-7 Ninja
          2016 Ducati Scrambler Full Throttle

Comment

How to connect?

Originally posted by D'Ecosse View Post
            Hi guys - quick intro:
            posplayr referred me here to introduce the SH775 (we have exchanged a little correspondence over the years regarding Regulator Technology)
            I've been long time advocate (one of early adopters) of the Shindengen MOSFET which I have always promoted as a reliability fix for high failure SCR Shunt Regulators - while recognizing does nothing for the stator reliability.
            Generally has been the best solution from cost-effective perspective for those bikes/models which have high R/R failure rates but do not readily burn stators
            However I do recognize the benefits of Series Regulation and waiting for suitable (read affordable!!) opportunity to get on board.
            I recently picked up a Compufire 55402 for a great price and looking forward to doing some testing (although not much new to learn there after all the work posplayr & others here have done has done in that regard).

So enough on the background - just wished to offer my congrats & appreciation to those pioneering this recent application development (looks like the R/R itself has been around for a few years, but found new life in after-market thanks to efforts of various on this forum).
            I have added this as a suggestion on my own forum thread & linked back to a couple of those threads on here. It is an excellent candidate for a couple of the Triumph models.
            Excited to see that Shindengen has another couple of higher current Series models in development - we'll look forward to those making an appearance.

I did want to offer one tidbit in return however - Triumph has an OEM link lead that is only about $10 that connects to this form factor
            - the Triumph Part Number is T2500676

It was introduced by Triumph as part of a retrofit kit to MOSFET R/R to plug n play into their std wiring harness (HUGE failure rate of SCR Shunt R/R on one particular model due to poor placement/cooling resulting in overheating and subsequent fail).

The price is incredibly attractive:
            Even if the input/output connectors do not match up exactly with your application, it is going to be much more cost effective to replace those on the Triumph harness, than buying the Furukawas which are significantly more expensive!!
            So worth considering - should be able to order from any local Triumph dealer or on-line
            e.g. http://www.triumphmcparts.com/produc.../T2500676.html

Incidentally cheapest I have found currently for the SH775 is here $60 + ~$13 shipping

While researching, I came across this simulation of a 3 phase SCR Bridge Rectifier with varying firing angle - nice graphical display of how these things work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s24U0GaBx-o
            I'll be picking up a new SH775 from the polaris dealer on Saturday. I just picked up this Triumph lead, and I'm a little confused about connecting it. I assume I'll be cutting the smaller connectors off of the lead. One side of the lead has 3 black wires that I will connect to the stator with bullet connectors.

Question 1 - Can I just leave the infamous headlight loop disconnected? I assume there will be now current there.

Question 2 - The other side of the lead has 2 brown and 2 black wires. Do I tie both brown wires to the battery positive and both black to ground? Should any of these go to the battery negative?

I'm an electrical newb, so I appreciate all suggestions.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
            1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
              Cool. Just ordered one as my bike still has a tiny OEM version. Where do you guys normally mount it?
              My GS850 RR was mounted under the battery box. The SH775 needs about 1/8 inch dremeled out of the mounting holes to go in the existing bolt holes. I had to remove one screw from the Ignitor and tilt it as far to the right as possible to clear the power connector., or you could use a 3/16" spacer or a stack of washers to move it down a bit. All in all very clean and easy...My battery voltage is now 14.5 at any RPM from idle to 5000. As a bonus I found the source of my very intermittent blown main and signal fuses while I had it apart, the hot horn terminal was rubbing on the spark plug wire clamp just enough to blow every week or two.
              sigpic
              09 Kaw C14 Rocket powered Barcalounger
              1983 GS1100e
              82\83 1100e Frankenbike
              1980 GS1260
              Previous 65 Suzuki 80 Scrambler, 76 KZ900, 02 GSF1200S, 81 GS1100e, 80 GS850G

Comment

Originally posted by Sci85 View Post
                Mine is mounted on the right side of the battery box. Turn signal control unit was removed by previous owner and replaced with a standard flasher. That's now behind the battery box. Bent or removed those tabs that stuck out from the battery box.

Comment

Originally posted by niclpnut View Post
                  I tested both of the sh775s I have. One is on my 78 1000 and the other on my 83 1100.

Wiring is the same as pictured above. DIY style.

Both work great with constant and even voltage readings at each rpm setting indicated in the quick check/stater papers test.

I'm quite happy with this unit and would recommend it.

Nic

So with respect to the leads from the stator (coming from one who is an electrical dunce): each lead from the stator is 'equal' & can be plugged into any of the spades in that terminal on the left?
                  Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Originally posted by Cassius086 View Post
                    So with respect to the leads from the stator (coming from one who is an electrical dunce): each lead from the stator is 'equal' & can be plugged into any of the spades in that terminal on the left?
                    stator wires are all interchangeable. So any combination of the three is the same and will work.

Comment

Thank you, Jim. That is what I thought.

Polarisparts123.com is showing that SH775 for $62.00 (pn 4012941). Nice lower price option compared to the CompuFire.
                      Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

OK,

A question? I've had somebody tell me that a 775 isn't a good choice since it "uses" SCRs and isn't a MOFSET type. He said a FH020AA was better... it was 'cheap insurance'.

I'm guessing that if the 775 was a shunt type, maybe he'd have a point?
                        Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Don't listen to fantasy, the SH-775 is way better on gs size charging system than any shunt mosfet.
                          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

We talked some more...he misread a facebook post...didn't see where I mentioned that it is a series type R/R
                            Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Comment

Not sure where everyone else is shopping for their Polaris R/R (other than eBay), but I have been gathering tidbits here and there, since I am now ready to drop some coin.

Here are my latest findings:

Supplier ................... R/R cost ... shipping ... total
                              2 wheel pros ................ 69.62 ...... 6.95 ..... 76.57
                              Babbitt's ...................... 66.41 .... 18.71 ..... 85.18
                              Dealer Cost Parts .......... 70.46 .....17.51 ..... 87.97
                              Nelsons ....................... 68.84 .... 28.91 ..... 97.75
                              Partzilla ....................... 67.92 ...... 9.99 ..... 77.91
                              PolarisParts123 ............. 62.64 .... 20.23 ..... 82.87
                              Polaris Parts Monster ..... 73.70 .... 19.13 ..... 92.83
                              Cycle Parts Warehouse ... 71.06 .... 11.78 ..... 82.84

At first glance, PolarisParts123 sure looks good, then you have to consider the shipping.

I dropped my coin at 2 wheel pros this time, let's see how it works out.

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Great work Steve. Now where is the cheapest place to get that Triumph connector from?
                                Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Working...
                                X