Series Regulator Source SH775

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
    I ordered from Bike Bandit where I get free shipping on orders over $29.

Triumph part No.T2500676 LINK LEAD, REGULATOR
    $9.46
    Polaris part No.4012941 REGULATOR-3PH,35A,SERIES,105C
    $73.94
    I even redeemed a some Bandit Bucks to knock a few more $ off.
    Polaris must be wondering why so many regulators are failing, and Triumph must be revisiting their lead link design…..
    '82 GS450T

Comment

Have there been [any? many?] failures of the SH775, or are they seemingly pretty rugged if installed correctly?
      '82 GS450T

Comment

I have never heard of one failing.

Probably possible if you short it out or something.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
          Have there been [any? many?] failures of the SH775, or are they seemingly pretty rugged if installed correctly?
          Any electronics component is subject to manufacturing defects depending on the quality of the manufacturing process and the design. Early failure is called 'infant mortality" in the reliability jargon. In regard to design, a SERIES R/R that does not short the stator windings is going to lead a much less stressful life running cooler and for much longer, heat being one of the primary factors in accelerated life.

I have heard of some infant mortality issues on perhaps one of two of the Compufire units (some time back but not at the GSR) but generally once they are installed for a short period(failures show up early) they seem to work flawlessly. As for the SH-775 I do not recall any reported failures. The SH-775 is a SCR type design rather than FET type and these are generally not as susceptible as MOSFETS to ESD in particular. Generally once installed and run for a while, the MOSFET designs should be just a reliable as the SCR. My expectation is that these new R/Rs will probably outlast the bikes themselves being less likely to overheat themselves and much more tolerant of bad connections (which the SHUNT are NOT; then cook themselves when they have bad connections).

I get that sense that your are still concerned that these SERIES R/Rs are a "flash in the pan". Rest assured they are not and you can find comfort that there are a few motorcycle OEM's that are now installing SERIES units at the factory as an indication of the benefits.
          Last edited by posplayr; 01-08-2016, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Polaris must be wondering why so many regulators are failing, and Triumph must be revisiting their lead link design…..
            I think what he means is that Polaris must think their R/Rs are failing since they sell so many of them. Triumph must wonder about their connectors as well.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Any electronics component is subject to manufacturing defects depending on the quality of the manufacturing process and the design. Early failure is called 'infant mortality" in the reliability jargon. In regard to design, a SERIES R/R that does not short the stator windings is going to lead a much less stressful life running cooler and for much longer, heat being one of the primary factors in accelerated life.

I have heard of some infant mortality issues on perhaps one of two of the Compufire units (some time back but not at the GSR) but generally once they are installed for a short period(failures show up early) they seem to work flawlessly. As for the SH-775 I do not recall any reported failures. The SH-775 is a SCR type design rather than FET type and these are generally not as susceptible as MOSFETS to ESD in particular. Generally once installed and run for a while, the MOSFET designs should be just a reliable as the SCR. My expectation is that these new R/Rs will probably outlast the bikes themselves being less likely to overheat themselves and much more tolerant of bad connections (which the SHUNT are NOT; then cook themselves when they have bad connections).

I get that sense that your are still concerned that these SERIES R/Rs are a "flash in the pan". Rest assured they are not and you can find comfort that there are a few motorcycle OEM's that are now installing SERIES units at the factory as an indication of the benefits.
              Not at all. In fact, I just picked up my new SH775 this morning. I have an 'as new' almost no mile original stator circa 1980 that I've installed in my refreshed 450 motor, and it will be interesting to see how the combo does in July, which is stator torching [and boil your battery dry] month around here.

I worked a lot with DC motor variable speed drives back in the '80's which used SCRs to rectify and chop AC. They have some rather sophisticated feedback loop systems to compensate for load and control acceleration and were pretty much bulletproof even in constant industrial process use. The only one I ever fried had one SCR that wasn't properly bedded to the heat sink. Many of those boards are still in use.

The unit is larger and heavier than I expected it to be; looks to be first class, well potted and has a stainless plate on the bottom.
              '82 GS450T

Comment

Not at all. In fact, I just picked up my new SH775 this morning. I have an 'as new' almost no mile original stator circa 1980 that I've installed in my refreshed 450 motor, and it will be interesting to see how the combo does in July, which is stator torching [and boil your battery dry] month around here.

I worked a lot with DC motor variable speed drives back in the '80's which used SCRs to rectify and chop AC. They have some rather sophisticated feedback loop systems to compensate for load and control acceleration and were pretty much bulletproof even in constant industrial process use. The only one I ever fried had one SCR that wasn't properly bedded to the heat sink. Many of those boards are still in use.

The unit is larger and heavier than I expected it to be; looks to be first class, well potted and has a stainless plate on the bottom.
                Interesting you mention motor control, because the same technology used for brushless DC motor control is used today's modern R/Rs. synchronous control of brushless DC motor required current control in sync with the position of the motor. This is called synchronous rectification and is also the same thing employed in the first MOSFET Shunt R/R. The SCR has automatic shut-off so it doesn't need the same synchronous control logic.

The first MOSFET SHUNT R/Rs designed to replace SCR SHUNT R/R's can not be described to be anything else but a brain fart. The reality is that by simply changing the control logic in the MOSFET R/R you get a series R/R instead of a SHUNT R/R. It is basically a firmware change. Other things come to play but that is the bottom line. The efficiency of the MOSFETs only serve to keep the SHUNT R/R from burning while putting even more voltage across the stator and force it to dissipate even more power.

I'm not a high speed motor designer, but my background is in control systems which usually center on motor controls. Back in 2004-06 I was a consultant on a military program where I was leading a Modeling and Simulation(M&S) and a Motor Design group in the development of an ultra highspeed 5+1 axis gimbal system. There was an incumbent system(see link below) we were trying to replace. In the end we could prove the incumbent system was a "point design" as from our trade study, we developed a parametric family of designs that could be sized based on available power. The response time was limited by the power available. It is basically a very fast and compact robot. As it was vehicle mounted, it was optimized for SWAP-C (Space Weight,Power, Cost).

We got into into not only sophisticated motor controls, but coordinated motion control for "on-the-move" (over rough terrain) hit-to-kill intercepts.

This was the legacy system

Last edited by posplayr; 01-08-2016, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rudeman View Post
                  I think what he means is that Polaris must think their R/Rs are failing since they sell so many of them. Triumph must wonder about their connectors as well.
                  At least some people in Polaris and Triumph are well aware of why sales of their respective components have gone through the roof. All we can hope is no bean-counter seeks to cash in on it...
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Any shops in Europe / Austria / Vienna to get this SH775 — trying to buy local instead of going with Amazon / eBay

Comment

Originally posted by crookedspoon View Post
                      Any shops in Europe / Austria / Vienna to get this SH775 — trying to buy local instead of going with Amazon / eBay
                      You can look up local Polaris dealers through their website.

I have done so for Switzerland, but after one to two phone chats, I went the amazon route instead.
                      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                      #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                      #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

I went with an SH775 for the GS550L a few weeks ago. I swapped stator at the same time with a Caltric.

The previous setup was a El Cheapo Ebay stator and a Honda 5-wire RR. The Honda RR seemed to work ok but the stator blew out after 2k miles. Not sure if the RR was the cause but anyway...

So far I have 500 miles on the new stator and SH775. I built a nice little harness for it using bullet connectors and the kit you can buy on-line.

One thing I noticed with the new setup.. my mpg has gone up about 10%. Now some of this is related to warmer temps but I am getting mpg numbers which I've never seen before. My last tank was 57 mpg. I'm 90% confident that mpg has gone up 5%. My riding is "little old lady" and mostly highway.

The new setup also seems to put out a bit less voltage and drops off at low rpm. At cruise I am getting 14.3 but at idle it can drop down to 12.7. Probably ok and could be due to fewer widings in the new stator or because the SH775 is a little less efficient.

In any case I am please with it so far. It fit right into the space left by the Honda stator. Tight fit but it worked.
                        Last edited by DimitriT; 07-01-2016, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DimitriT View Post

One thing I noticed with the new setup.. my mpg has gone up about 10%. Now some of this is related to warmer temps but I am getting mpg numbers which I've never seen before. My last tank was 57 mpg. I'm 90% confident that mpg has gone up 5%. My riding is "little old lady" and mostly highway.

Interesting this is the first time I've seen anybody report higher MPG using a series R/R, although it has been long suspected that the extra stator heat represents power loss. A smaller bike and very docile driving is what would show this the most.

Comment

Placebo effect.
                            Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                              Placebo effect.
                              We know you are in denial.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                                Placebo effect.
                                Not possible because I'm just recording the numbers but maybe it's luck or weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X