Gauge faces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gauge faces

Hey, would anybody be interested in new gauge faces? I'm getting some made for my 1000 with some special stuff on them. I've got the basic design all laid out so the marks all match up with the originals.

I plan on using a guy who supplies us with labels at work. The material used is clear plastic, matte finish, with a lamination of whatever colour underneath. He laser engraves the coloured lamination off the back, then cuts the thing out with the laser. These reverse engraved sections will then be transparent and can be painted with a translucent paint from behind to colour it whatever colour you want and will glow at night. Will also be a lasered hole for the needle stop pin.

Mine will have a white face with the Suzuki "S" in red and "GS1000S" and probably a Yoshimura and symbol as well. I've also put the numbers and marks up to 260km/h just for fun, and will also put marks on for miles. Can do whatever you want.

I suspect they'll cost me about $10 each face (still gotta get a price). Not too bad for a custom face if you ask me. The guy's quality is top notch, and he's easy to work with. I get a discount through work too. If there's any interest in this, I'd like to do everything on one order. The bigger the order, the cheaper they are.

Rudy

Soooooo this cutom work would benefit most people here no doubt
    I assume the process is transferable to any gauge for any machine.

got any pictures fo the end product?

My gauges are all faded and I would be very happy to pay for high quality replacements.

Comment

No pics yet. Got too late last night when I was working on the design. Gone for the weekend, but will get something for you as soon as I can. I know how you folks like your pictures, so do I. Won't have pics of the actual finished product yet, but will have a 3D generated model.

I only have a GS1000, so I don't know differences between gauges from bike to bike (if there are any). What I could do is send a PDF of the face with dimensions and you can print it out and see what's what. Wouldn't be much help if it didn't fit.

Comment

this sounds awesome. what are the limitations in colours and such? would there be a special paint needed for the reverse?

Comment

I know for sure that he has white, black, red and yellow, but I'm sure he can get whatever you want. Just has to order it in. I have to stop by there and see what he can get. Most popular for our industrial labels is white and black.

For painting the back, I guess you could actually even use permanent marker. It's really not gonna see any water or anything being inside your gauge, just don't know how it would react to sunlight/UV. Translucent paints can be had from craft stores and model/hobby shops as well. I'd likely use those.

Comment

I suppose you are doing both the speedo and the tach? I'm in for two sets of each for the GS1000. In MPH, of course!
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Yeah, speedo, tach and fuel gauge. Need to do the fuel gauge to make it look right.

Comment

I'm in for a set...probably very similar to what you are doing for your 1000S. I think the KPH/MPH look would be cool.

Comment

Ok, got the first round of drawings done. Check it out and see what you think. Anything in blue is what I plan on having glow blue, and same idea with red. Black will be cut out, obviously. Colours for the glow are as limited as paint or marker colours. Will send the drawings to the label guy tomorrow to find out what the price is gonna be.

There may be some changes done yet before getting something made. If you guys have any suggestions please let me know. I can put any kind of graphics in. Don't have to have the GS1000S and Yoshi logos. Don't even have to have the Suzuki or "S" either. I'm working on a MPH/KMPH for the folks south of the border, but this gives you an idea.

Last edited by Guest; 08-17-2008, 08:37 PM.

Comment

I want a set for my 1100GK. I was going to attempt to do this myself but I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing.

Comment

Was just thinking, would be a good idea to have someone take a picture of their MPH speedo. Anybody up for this? Don't need the tach, as they're all the same anyway.

Also, does anyone know what the differences are between the years and models? If any?

Comment

SPEEDO pics

Here is a picture from my 79' 1000 L. I am also interested in a set. Let me know if you need anything else.

Comment

Caution: Some gauges ARE different sizes. For instance... Nessism's 850G has a different diameter gauge than my 1100L. Might want to provide a measurement so people can see if it works for them.

Awesome idea... this could end up looking wicked cool.

Comment

Thanks for your replies guys.

Yes, before I make anything for anyone, I will be sending a FULLY dimensioned file in PDF to all interested that you'll have to compare to your current faces. Things such as size as well as degrees for all the marks. I don't want anyone to get a set of faces that is anything less than perfect.

Rudy

Comment

Could you guy make a center section cover skin to match the guage faces. I'm in!!

Comment

Working...
                              X