No announcement yet.

Pictures of my custom seat.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great thread...pun intended. I liked the seat pan mounts so much that I bought 4 broom grabbers at the hardware store to try to use them on my dragbike body (snap-on, snap-off)

Comment

I'm 90% done riveting the cover to the pan. Here's a sneak preview...

Comment

I should have asked earlier, but do you have any tricks for keeping the cover tight during installation? I stuck straight pins through the rivet holes to keep it from moving around, then popped in the rivets in mirror image, keeping an eye on the seams as I went.

Comment

Originally posted by Ira View Post
          I should have asked earlier, but do you have any tricks for keeping the cover tight during installation?
          My ex is an upholsterer. From watching her work - there's no substitute for quality leather or vinyl and then just plain muscle. Stretch it 'til it fits, anchor it.

By the way - she hates doing motorcycle and atv seats. Far harder to do than almost anything else.

Comment

A hair dryer set on high makes it soft an more controlled. Mine was one straight piece of marine vinyl I did in the cool spring last year.

Comment

How are you holding the fabric on the bottom side? Riveting the vinyl to the seat pan? Are you using a washer or anything on the keep the vinyl from tearing?
              BTW-looks great, has inspired me to redue my seat

Comment

Originally posted by 1QUIK6 View Post
                How are you holding the fabric on the bottom side? Riveting the vinyl to the seat pan? Are you using a washer or anything on the keep the vinyl from tearing?
                BTW-looks great, has inspired me to redue my seat
                i'm using large diameter aluminum rivets, directly into the steel pan. the cover is high-quality marine vinyl and seems to be holding up well.

I re-covered another seat with the same material and it's held up beautifully for a few years now.

Comment

After much stretching and riveting, here's the money shot.

Comment

That seat really looks nice.

cg
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Great work!

Comment

Great job, thats real nice

Comment

And you went with black thread. Man, that looks nice! You did a great job.

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, the black thread is more understated and will match whatever paint job I choose. It's also a little more forgiving of stitching mistakes...

Comment

what gauge steel did you use for the pan?

Comment

Originally posted by Ira View Post
                                After much stretching and riveting, here's the money shot.

I have been messing around with trying to make a good seat for my build for almost two years now.......that is hands down the cleanest, simplest, well thought out, and down right sexy seat I have seen yet.
                                Please dont be mad at me if you see a slightly different version on my bike in the near future.

Comment

Working...
                                X