Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Bolt?

Hi,
    I have had my GS850L for about a week and I was looking at changing the gear oil when I noticed what appeared to be a bolt missing. The wear on the area makes it look like there was once a bolt there holding the engine to the frame. It almost looks like it has sheared off because there is still something in the gap. Can anyone help me out? Is there normally a bolt here,and how would I removed a bit if it were jammed in there?
    IMG_20160207_112815.jpg
    The bolt to the right of this photo.

Thanks

I should mention I have already taken this bike about 200 miles without noticing

Yes, I believe you have a very important engine mount bolt missing.

Part numbers # 23, 32, 32 and 28 shown in this schematic:

Shop online for OEM Crankcase (Model Z) parts that fit your 1983 Suzuki GS850GL, search all our OEM Parts or call at 800-964-1882
    Last edited by Vmass; 02-07-2016, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Take that motor mount off so you can see what you're looking at. Looks like it's not the correct part, maybe it's off another size GS or something because it doesn't look like it lines up correctly. If all of the other motor mounts are there it couldn't be out of place that badly.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

That bolt should go all the way through to see other side so have a look and see what's there. FYI the bolt passes straight through the engine casings.
        The continuing renovation of a GS850L

Comment

Thanks everyone. I haven't got the skills to fix it yet without fear of dropping the engine so I am taking it to a mechanic today

Comment

Yes you do. It's a bolt. Does it line up with the hole or does it not?

Comment

Yes it lines up with the hole. My worry is that I haven't got a way to support the engine while I remove the bolt in order to fit a new one. Are the other attachments strong enough to hold it briefly or do I need some sort of lift/jack?

Also all the websites I hunt for the part on seem to say that it has been discontinued.
              Last edited by Guest; 02-08-2016, 12:05 PM.

Comment

A close up shot of the other side would be helpful to determine if the bolt is still there (I think it is) and also to determine how much out of line it is. From the side you show, it doesn't look like it is too far out. A simple floor or bottle jack to line it up properly should be all that is needed.

I'll bet the bolt can be found through a member here or on eBay.

Comment

Could this be what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1983-Suzuki-...BV9xou&vxp=mtr

Comment

I am learning so much!
                    Ebay is full of these bolts. Now just to get my hands on a jack

Comment

There are several bolts around the engine, the others can support the engine while you work on that one. At least there are supposed to be several bolts. May have to do a little levering to get it back in, but that's no big deal.

Comment

I agree with you Lyra, looks like the bolt is there but sheared off.
                        Last edited by allojohn; 02-08-2016, 02:40 PM.
                        -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Originally posted by Lyra View Post
                          Yes it lines up with the hole. My worry is that I haven't got a way to support the engine while I remove the bolt in order to fit a new one. Are the other attachments strong enough to hold it briefly or do I need some sort of lift/jack?

Also all the websites I hunt for the part on seem to say that it has been discontinued.

The other attachments have already been holding the engine up just fine for some unknown amount of time... GS shaftie engine mounting is pretty redundant (there's another large bolt holding up the rear of the engine). That said, you really need to fix this before riding the bike again.

The correct bolt would be best, and since they don't normally get damaged or wear out, and used ones are so easy to find (and probably several of us have these lying around anyway) there's no need to substitute all-thread or anything like that.

Those end plates can get mixed up, so make sure they are the right way around. They should line up pretty closely.

Also, since you now have evidence that some PO was a pretty sloppy mechanic, check the other mounting bolts and nuts as well.

I'll also add that you may want to see if there's a GS owner with more mechanical experience somewhere near you that could take a look. We're a pretty generous bunch!
                          Last edited by bwringer; 02-08-2016, 03:26 PM.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I believe all that kind of thing is exactly the same as the 1000 shaft. Just saying as it will give you more options.

And Welcome to the site, lots of information here/
                            Last edited by tatu; 02-08-2016, 04:33 PM.
                            sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                              I'll also add that you may want to see if there's a GS owner with more mechanical experience somewhere near you that could take a look. We're a pretty generous bunch!
                              Is there a certain part of the forum for a shout out like that, or is it best just to do it here?
                              Hallo anyone near Birmingham who wants to show an amature mechanic some GS maintence tricks?

Comment

Working...
                              X