Metzlers Sportec Klassic Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Metzlers Sportec Klassic Tires

There was a thread about different tires in the general maintenance section and someone posted about the newly designed Sportec klassic by metzlers. These are newer tires and not a lot of information about them they have been available in the US for just over a year. I was going to buy a pair of Avons but after much deliberation I decided to give these bad boys a chance. I got them from a local tire shop for $340 plus a $50 mail in rebate through metzeler I almost bought them offline but by the time the shops charge extra to mount tires they didn't sell it came out in the wash. Finally got them in yesterday and mounted.

Since bwringer told me to take a chance and get these for science and stuff here we go,

my first impression is the aggressiveness of the tread appearance. The treads look like they will offer great wet weather traction.

Second thought is that they seem thicker than the sport demon or the Dunlop d404 which I have both ran on this bike. The sidewalks and tread thickness visually appear to be a thicker tire.

driving- Just on the short trip around town is that these tires are sticky, I would compare them to my sport demons in sticky factor, granted they are brand new and I wasn't dragging the pegs but they seem to grip quite well. I need to get them warm so they will start gripping then down to Arkansas in the twisties we go

now the part of that everyone cares about pictures.

Maybe I'm finally ready to submit for BOTM?

Keep us posted on the durability factor. I installed a set of Metzler Lasertec's (the older version) on a friends bike and they cracked all to crap inside a year. Hopefully you don't have the same experience on these tires.
    Last edited by Nessism; 07-10-2016, 02:47 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I'm hoping since they are completely redesigned that doesn't happen, if it does the wife will not be happy when i have to explain That to her. There were not many reviews about these the only ones I found were on a triumph site and there wasn't much there

Comment

I normally get the Lasertecs, but according to the Metzler web site these would be stickier and last longer. Definitely let us know how they work for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Kaiser Sosei View Post
          I normally get the Lasertecs, but according to the Metzler web site these would be stickier and last longer. Definitely let us know how they work for you.
          i know best of both worlds.....hopefully

Comment

The speedo drive looks to be at a kooky angle with a kink to the cable. The cable hanger seems off - bent? - to me as well. I can't imagine that it was meant to look that way.
            '82 GS450T

Comment

Really looking forward to a full review, bike looks great!
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by John Park View Post
                The speedo drive looks to be at a kooky angle with a kink to the cable. The cable hanger seems off - bent? - to me as well. I can't imagine that it was meant to look that way.
                Its not bent just turned wrong, I already fixed it though
                thanks

Comment

With your bike set up like that, don't even mention sport riding or peg scraping.
                  Long life tire on straight roads you can comment on.
                  "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                  1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                  1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                  1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                    With your bike set up like that, don't even mention sport riding or peg scraping.
                    Long life tire on straight roads you can comment on.
                    I have to have it set up like that or the Mrs won't ride, . I prefer no racks or anything but my opinion doesn't matter

Comment

Sorry, I was gonna delete my post, but you got me.
                      Ride anyway you like. My comments are all meant to be funny, in a Groucho Marx style.
                      "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)

Comment

Oh it's all in good fun, it is hard to read scarcasm on the interwebs.

Comment

Ooh, purdy!

I just love helping other people spend their money.

Ride lots and keep us posted -- I have every expectation these will offer you fantastic grip and life. The old Lasertecs were long past due for replacement with a true modern tire.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Many of us have been waiting a long time for some tire factory to just say outright, We got the hottest handling, gripping, steepest lean angle, bias ply tire of all time!!!
                            Just about all of them have nothing interesting to say about their tires.
                            Maybe if they would update their rubber compounds, and say so.

Comment

Another vote for keeping us in the loop please.

Comment

Working...
                              X