No announcement yet.

Metzlers Sportec Klassic Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Used to manage to fairly regularly drag hard parts on that model using the Avons. The Sport Demons are slightly stickier / give more confidence than the Avons so if these have the best of both... great! (other than the fact they're German not British! )
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well, Metzeler was acquired by Pirelli quite a while back, and they make tires all over the world, so it's hard to say what nationality your tires might be.

It did give me a little warm fuzzy a few weeks ago when I spooned a set of new Avons onto my V-Strom and saw a proud "MADE IN ENGLAND" emblem.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
        Well, Metzeler was acquired by Pirelli quite a while back, and they make tires all over the world, so it's hard to say what nationality your tires might be.

It did give me a little warm fuzzy a few weeks ago when I spooned a set of new Avons onto my V-Strom and saw a proud "MADE IN ENGLAND" emblem.

When I got my pair of Metzelers a couple weeks ago I was reading the sidewalls and got a little confused.
        The word "Pirelli" was molded right on there in small print and in another spot it said the tire was made in Brazil?.

It's making more sense now.

Comment

I was just getting ready to order a set of Sport Demons but am going to hold off since I've got safe tread left. I have a really good feeling about the Klassic and will be really eager to hear how they do. As someone said, there is almost no solid information available, at this point, but what is out there, seems to be quite good.
          Last edited by rockford; 07-14-2016, 07:23 AM.
          1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

I will say on the 100ish miles I have on them I am very impressed, I drove to work in the misty rain and they seemed to grip well for a new tire.....we shall
            continue to see

Comment

I have just installed a set of these.
              $550 CND installed.
              Had to get a new speedo cable the very next day.
              I did not notice the dogleg in the cable.

All in all, I say I like these new tires.

Have a great day.
              Shaun
              SailEXIT

1983 GS850G
              1970 Hughes 29

Comment

Hmmm,...well I just rode on mine for the first time yesterday.
                But the last time I rode a GS1100 was in the 1982?!.

Seemed really good to me but nothing to compare to?.

20160717_150941~02[1].jpg

Comment

I finally got to ride since Missouri is under a nasty heat wave and it's been way too hot to ride . I put about 280 miles on in a day. The tires grip awesome. I rode a lot of twisty roads, I really like the grip and feel of these tires.. I'm still very happy I bought these. I will report back for longevity on tires

Comment

I used to run Metzler Perfects, ME99A rear and ME77 front back in the 80's. Used to able to get them with a "V" rating. They were outstanding tires then; beautifully finished with no molding flash or nipples and they stuck like glue. It would be nice to have another quality alternative for us vintage riders.

Comment

I've got about 500 miles on a nice set of Metzler Sportec Klassiks so thought I'd report in. Over the years, I've run multiple sets of Metzlers, Dunlops, Ching Shin (1), Bridgestones, IRC, Shinkos and probably a few others that I don't recall. Unless my opinion changes, I think these Klassiks are the very best tires I've ever ridden on. They feel great, grip extremely well, handle easily and smoothly and are a real pleasure. I can't yet offer a very meaningful comment on the wear factor but they make me feel safe and comfy.....and that's what I care most about. I 'played around' with tire pressures and am now running 33/35 (F/R), which is lower than I've used on most other tires.

Oh, and I just got my $50 rebate Visa card......my mad money!!
                      Last edited by rockford; 09-26-2016, 01:38 PM.
                      1980 GS1100E, the latest of many.

Comment

Any more updates on these Metzeler Sportec Klassic's?

I have to replace my Bridgestone Battlax's which I have found the rear to wear and grip very well but I'm a bit disappointed with the wear of the front.
                        We have a big bike show in the EXCEL center in the east end of old London town England in mid Feb so I'm going with a bag of cash that the wife hasn't found yet and will buy some tyres of some description and I do fancy the Metzelers.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Jeff
                        Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by bobtail84 View Post
                          Any more updates on these Metzeler Sportec Klassic's?

I have to replace my Bridgestone Battlax's which I have found the rear to wear and grip very well but I'm a bit disappointed with the wear of the front.
                          We have a big bike show in the EXCEL center in the east end of old London town England in mid Feb so I'm going with a bag of cash that the wife hasn't found yet and will buy some tyres of some description and I do fancy the Metzelers.

Any thoughts or opinions?

Jeff

Buy 'em, mount 'em, flog 'em, and let us know. Do it for SCIENCE. It's your chance to be a pioneer.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Buy 'em, mount 'em, flog 'em, and let us know. Do it for SCIENCE. It's your chance to be a pioneer.
                            I will get the Metzelers for Queen, country and science.. if the price is right. I might even try pioneering, Is that like orienteering with out the compass?
                            Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

mine are still holding up perfectly,I would definitely purchase again. I have about 3k miles on mine couldn't be happier

Comment

How's the wear after 3K miles?
                                Rob
                                1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                                Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                                X