Project 700ES

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Project 700ES

Gonna keep her as stock as possible, with the exception of the V&H exhaust..thx Ed!

Having some items powder coated, polished up the rear wheel
    Last edited by Guest; 12-12-2008, 11:32 PM.

So what's the plan with this one while keeping it stock? Polish, powder coat and...?

Comment

stock

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
      So what's the plan with this one while keeping it stock? Polish, powder coat and...?

Mechanically, the carbs are getting rebuilt along with a new petcock, I may replace the airbox with Pods. New fork seals and battery are in the works. As far as cosmetics, Its getting new decals and factory paint, Sargents seat cover, new tires, engine covers polished out, new smoke windscreen ordered, new chain and sprocket...for starters any other suggestions?? Bike has 8600 miles.

Comment

My 700E has pods, and just got a new petcock. I like your wheels. I just cleaned the crap off mine last weekend when I was out in the garage doing some powder coating for a coworker. I have a replacement shock (bought off ebay) to put on this winter as well as a replacement wire harness (also from ebay) to put on. Then I am going to look at making up a LED rear brake light. I'm thinking of looking into having the bike painted as well but I don't think that's gonna happen this year. Keep us posted on your progress. I'm interested to see what you do.

Comment

Engine's in good shape? Agreed on K&N pods + jet kit if you're getting a 4-1 pipe anyways - nice intake/exhaust sound and a bit more top end power.

Comment

Originally posted by jmanz6 View Post
            Then I am going to look at making up a LED rear brake light.
            I have circuit boards drawn up to do that. I have designed a board for lights like yours (also includes 850G, 1000G, 1100G), another board for most L models (also includes 450T) and a third board for the ones similar to the '81 1100E. The plan is to use between 30 and 50 super-bright LEDs facing the rear, about three facing each side and white ones facing down to illuminate the plate. Cost will be about $50 plus shipping.

So far, I have only designed them. It will cost a bit to have the boards made, and there is a quantity discount. Since I was unemployed for over a year, that project wasn't on the back burner, it was not even in the kitchen. Now that I have had a little bit of income, I can resurrect it easily enough if there is any interest.

sigpic
            mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
            hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
            #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
            #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
            Family Portrait
            Siblings and Spouses
            Mom's first ride
            Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
            (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
              I may replace the airbox with Pods. .
              Just KNOW that to get the airbox off that bike you either have to remove the engine or destroy the airbox! There is no other way! My first ever new bike was identical to yours & I put 29 smoothbores on it. This is how I found out. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                Just KNOW that to get the airbox off that bike you either have to remove the engine or destroy the airbox! There is no other way! My first ever new bike was identical to yours & I put 29 smoothbores on it. This is how I found out. Ray.
                Thanks for the tip Ray

joe

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                  Engine's in good shape? Agreed on K&N pods + jet kit if you're getting a 4-1 pipe anyways - nice intake/exhaust sound and a bit more top end power.
                  Bike only has 8600 miles, I got it to fire for a few minutes the day I brought home until gas spewed out the back of the carbs. Its cleaning up better thab I had anticipated.

Comment

Good luck with your project. Keep them photos coming!

I've been doing a similar project on a 750ES; paint and refreshing the basic mechanical stuff like carbs, brakes, tires, valve adjustment, etc. Good fun.

Did you order the windscreen from bikescreens.com? If so, how is your old one? My bike needs a new windscreen but I'm feeling a little cheap right now and don't want to pay $100 for a new one. Drop me a PM if yours is crack free but just cloudy, I might be able to help you offset the cost of that new one.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      Good luck with your project. Keep them photos coming!

I've been doing a similar project on a 750ES; paint and refreshing the basic mechanical stuff like carbs, brakes, tires, valve adjustment, etc. Good fun.

Did you order the windscreen from bikescreens.com? If so, how is your old one? My bike needs a new windscreen but I'm feeling a little cheap right now and don't want to pay $100 for a new one. Drop me a PM if yours is crack free but just cloudy, I might be able to help you offset the cost of that new one.
                      I actually got it from Katman, I'll check but I am pretty certain there are no cracks, just very yellow and weathered...I'll send you a better pic.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                        I have circuit boards drawn up to do that. I have designed a board for lights like yours (also includes 850G, 1000G, 1100G), another board for most L models (also includes 450T) and a third board for the ones similar to the '81 1100E. The plan is to use between 30 and 50 super-bright LEDs facing the rear, about three facing each side and white ones facing down to illuminate the plate. Cost will be about $50 plus shipping.

So far, I have only designed them. It will cost a bit to have the boards made, and there is a quantity discount. Since I was unemployed for over a year, that project wasn't on the back burner, it was not even in the kitchen. Now that I have had a little bit of income, I can resurrect it easily enough if there is any interest.

i have also designed a board. I am using 64 white LEDs. I have over 1000 LEDs i bought off ebay a year or so ago. i haven't priced the cost to make the board yet because I haven't finished the circuit design yet but it shouldn't be too bad to make. The place I will have make it I've used before and they are pretty resonable.

Comment

Mono shock

I would like to replace the full floater mono shock on this bike. Anyone know which brands fit or where to get one?

Comment

Originally posted by jwhelan65 View Post
                            I would like to replace the full floater mono shock on this bike. Anyone know which brands fit or where to get one?
                            Hagon makes an aftermarket that is bolt on and ride. It's about $460 though.

GSXR shocks will fit as well. Do a search, it's been discussed many times here.
                            sigpic

SUZUKI:
                            1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                            HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                            KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                            YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                              Err nope sorry mate thats incorrect, admittedly its tight but i took mine out last week by removing the inner mudguard etc undoing the weird & wonderfull shock top mount with the bike on its centerstand then squeezing the box out of the lhs

A lot of work i know but i was messing with the shock etc anyway
                              cheers tone

Comment

Working...
                              X