Poll for Compufire R/R Users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EDIT: Not sure why this poll is closed? It would still be helpfully to add your post to show your experience with a SERIES R/R

Want to take a poll on how many people have installed a Compu fire R/R and how many miles you have on them. List any feedback you can.

If you installed another SERIES R/R like one of the 600 series Cycle Electric R/R include that as well.

These are the three polls to help get some statistics on Field information about charging systems.

"Honda R/R Users Poll"

Fried Stator Poll
    FIX Chronically burning stators with SERIES R/R COMPUFIRE see GS CHARGING_SYSTEM_HEALTH
    Never Installed and never plan to
    22.73%
    Thinking about it
    45.45%
    Have one on ORDER NOW
    9.09%
    Just installed with less than 500 miles
    13.64%
    Have 1000 miles on mine still going
    0.00%
    Have 2000 miles on mine still going
    4.55%
    Have 4000 miles on mine still going
    4.55%
    Have 10,000 miles on mine still going
    0.00%
    Mine went OUT with 5000 miles or less
    0.00%
    Mine went OUT with 5000 miles or more
    0.00%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by posplayr; 03-25-2014, 09:58 PM.

I don't have a reason to yet but I'll consider it if needed.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Bought it and installed it on my 650GLD. I opened another thread on a post installation failure of the Stator, just under 100 miles after. Probably a latent problem. Had the Stator rewound ($45). The day I was suposed to pick it up, I had a serious accident, broke my femur in two, knee cap in four and exposed shattered tibia. So my girl will be waiting in the garage for a few months. Last Thursday, I had my son install the refurb stator. Did an open circuit voltage test. 92VAC at 5000 rpm on all phases. Now the bike is iddling at 12.8 VDC and hits 15 VDC. But that was parked and for a couple of minutes. I hope all my electrical problems to be gone now. Just waiting for the leg to heal to give it a real test.

Comment

I installed the Cycle Electric 601 on my 1000G. I voted 2000 miles.
        Dogma
        --
        O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
        '80 GS850 GLT
        '80 GS1000 GT
        '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
          I installed the Cycle Electric 601 on my 1000G. I voted 2000 miles.
          thanks I should have included all SERIES R/R's; first post modified.

Comment

I looked on the poll for those who installed a Honda RR and had any more problems after that but I guess the most economical solution is not the point of this poll.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
              I looked on the poll for those who installed a Honda RR and had any more problems after that but I guess the most economical solution is not the point of this poll.
              Well. I have installed 5 of your kits and each has had more than 6000 trouble free miles since. That said, each of the stock or aftermarket R/R's I removed were working at the time. All of the charging systems I have worked on were barely charging, but I could not tell that they were going bad. It was only when testing them that issues showed up. I have never ever fried a stator or an R/R unit. On anything, for that matter.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                Duaneage,
                I have recommended the SERIES R/R over the Honda as a solution to burned stators that seem most prevelant in high RPM ridding. The Honda RR will not help that. I acknowledge that the 6th wire approach will solve some of the problems due to poor R/R(+) side connecttion, it will not solve all. So this is a poll about SERIES R/R's and how many if any burned stators there have been with one.

I wil start another though. How many burned stators have there been with a Honda R/R.

We dont need a poll to ask how many fired stators there are with all other 5 wire SERIES R/R's there are a bunch.

Jim

Comment

Not planning to fit one, too expensive and not available over here. Understand it is quite large and gets quite hot as well?

I think the FET type is the better compromise if one wants to upgrade, meaning cost and performance wise.

I am not insinuating that the Series regulator is not theoretically as good or better than the shunt type. As you know it is now possible to build the "perfect" R/R if money is not an option, but you may also need a trailer to mount it in! How about a computer controlled R/R using a charging program for all possible conditions with heat and current sensing at battery and stator, memorizing your riding habits and adapting the charging, its all possible! It may cost more than the bike is worth, but then who cares!

Jim, OK I know you are looking for some stats to prove that the Series regulator will cause the stator to outlive ones regulated by a shunt type. Due to the limited use and availability of these and the great many variables that have an impact on such a study, it is going to be an almost impossible task I think.
                  Good luck with it and keep well.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 03:16 AM. Reason: Replaced word Linear with Series

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                    Not planning to fit one, too expensive and not available over here. Understand it is quite large and gets quite hot as well?

I think the FET type is the better compromise if one wants to upgrade, meaning cost and performance wise.

I am not insinuating that the Linear regulator is not theoretically as good or better than the shunt type. As you know it is now possible to build the "perfect" R/R if money is not an option, but you may also need a trailer to mount it in! How about a computer controlled R/R using a charging program for all possible conditions with heat and current sensing at battery and stator, memorizing your riding habits and adapting the charging, its all possible! It may cost more than the bike is worth, but then who cares!

The Compufire and the Cycle Electric are not linear regulators!!! They perform synchronous rectification when power is needed else go open circuit on the stator. They are extremely power efficient because they only consume power when rectifying. When the battery voltage is sufficient there is no stator current or R/R current.

I'm starting to think that an older Honda with 6th wire might be better than the FET, but am interested to see how many people have been frying stators with a Honda.

Jim, OK I know you are looking for some stats to prove that the linear regulator will cause the stator to outlive ones regulated by a shunt type. Due to the limited use and availability of these and the great many variables that have an impact on such a study, it is going to be an almost impossible task I think.
                    Good luck with it and keep well.
                    Sorry, that is absolutely NOT the point. The SERIES regulators are NOT LINEAR and I already proved that the Compufire SERIES puts less dramatically stress on all components (R/R and stator alike) so it is not even a question.

I'm looking for any evidence of SERIES regulator failure for whatever reason. Secondarily what is the occurrence rate (percentage of whole) of Honda R/R's with fried stators.
                    Last edited by posplayr; 11-07-2010, 10:22 PM.

Comment

I voted never used one and don’t want to. Never had a real charging problem (stator or reg.) out of a Suzuki. The Compufire maybe a good regulator but I doubt it will make up for a 30 year old stator whose time is up or after market junk rewind.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                        The Compufire and the Cycle Electric are not linear regulators!!!

I have changed Linear to Series in my reply.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                          I'm starting to think that an older Honda with 6th wire might be better than the FET, but am interested to see how many people have been frying stators with a Honda.
                          Sorry, slight tangent here, ...

I have installed an FET regulator with a 6th wire on my wife's bike.
                          I could not find any difference in output whether the 6th wire was connected to battery +, battery -, or left unconnected.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I have changed Linear to Series in my reply.
                            Now you have me baffled as all of your prior comments made sense assuming you were thinking the SERIES was a linear regulator.

If all you did was change "linear" to "SERIES" (which a linear is still a SERIES) I don't understand .

The Compufire and Cycel Electric are Synchronous rectification (with synchronous cycle control) regulators.

They are SERIES but they are not linear. This last statement is the game changer.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 11-08-2010, 11:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                              Sorry, slight tangent here, ...

I have installed an FET regulator with a 6th wire on my wife's bike.
                              I could not find any difference in output whether the 6th wire was connected to battery +, battery -, or left unconnected.

I'd assume that the 6th wire is not a sense wire. The Honda 6th wire is a relatively high impedance (e.g. 10K) input to a voltage comparator to fire the SCR's. This is in contract to standard 5 wire R/R's which you the terminal voltage to control the SCR's.

The difference is that when the 5 wire R/R pushes current to the battery any voltage drop between R/R(+) and battery(+) is uncompensated and the R/R will continue putting out the 14.5 and the battery will be lower by the drops.

With the 6th wire sense, at least the voltage drop between R/R(+) and battery(+) is measured and the R/R output will rise to maintain the 14.5v at the battery to compensate for any voltage drop on that side. It does nothing about ground return drops.
                              Last edited by posplayr; 11-09-2010, 04:37 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X