Fried Stator Poll

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fried Stator Poll

OK this is just to get a baseline. If you have ever had a fired stator please vote on how many miles you think you got out of it before burning it up.

These are the three polls to help get some statistics on feild informaton about charging systems.

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=167978

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=167974

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum/showthread.php?t=167939
    Never had one with 0-5,000 miles ridden
    7.52%
    Never had one with 5,000-10,000 miles ridden
    17.29%
    Had a burned stator with 0-5,000 miles ridden
    9.77%
    Had a burned stator with 5,000-10,000 miles ridden
    6.77%
    Had a burned stator with 10,000-15,000 miles ridden
    14.29%
    Had a burned stator with more than 15,000 miles ridden
    33.83%
    Had a shorted stator but NOT OVERALL cooked
    10.53%
    Last edited by posplayr; 11-07-2010, 04:20 PM.

There was no option for 60,000+ with no problem yet.
    BTW, that goes for 2 of them so far.

Daniel

Comment

Mine fried (original stator) around 87k mi at the top of Rocky Mtn National Park in September. First time replacement at Ghostgs1's house in Longmont, donor unit from Tkent. Thanks, all!

Comment

Bought bike with a faulty stator. Had it rewound and it burned after riding less than 100 kms.

The cause was the stator had been incorrectly rewound with thinner wire and less windings. The regulator (original OEM, then 28 years old with 32000 km on) was still working, but failed when the rewound stator burned out.

Here I cannot confirm whether the stator failed and caused the R/R to fail or if its the other way around, either are possible.

I rewound the stator myself to the specs I have published and fitted a Honda GL1000 R/R and no troubles since.

With reference to your other polls, this is also going to be a hard one. Again too many variables which may not be the same, just to name one: Copper magnet wire with special heat resistant and chemical resistant insulation is the correct type to use in our stators, but this type was not available 30 years ago. Cheaper ordinary copper enameled wire for motors not exposed to harsh environments can be used and may work just as well, but will be less durable and fail earlier. Using thinner wire which is easier to wind or physical damage, poor rewinds, not following proper procedure, may also lead to early failures and many other variables can have an impact on this. Even the riding habits, which you have mentioned already, may have an influence.

I think you will only get a satisfactory result if endurance testing is done under controlled and equal situations for the various R/R's and stators and even then no test is going to simulate the 30 years that shunt regulators have been in use on just about any and all makes of bikes.
        I am just trying to be a bit realistic with my comments on your 3 polls.
        Keep well.

Comment

Never had one fail on me, after a LOT of GSes and a LOT of miles on them. I have bought a few GSes with bad stators, all had corroded connections in the system.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

My GS850 stator is the original as far as I know I have put 25K on it currently has 46K
            I put a Honda reg on it before I put those 25K miles on her I have the early 12 pole stator which may mean something ????

Comment

Had it go about 500 miles from home. 1983. Got it replaced under warranty. Push started 3 times but it didnt leave me stranded.
              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Never had one fail on me, after a LOT of GSes and a LOT of miles on them. I have bought a few GSes with bad stators, all had corroded connections in the system.
                how many with bad stators would you say you found?
                out of a total?

Trying to get some idea of totals?

Comment

I think maybe about three bad ones now, out of twenty something GSes, maybe thirty. But I usually only buy dead bikes super cheap, most have been parked for years due to some problem, valves too tight, carburetors plugged up, there's always something. Once in a while it's the stators. Of the GSes bought in more or less running condition, (maybe ten bikes) only the new 650G has had a bad stator, it had some corrosion in the wiring as the cause. A couple of them have had aftermarket stators, so the original must have failed at some point.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Mine was burnt I think when I got it from the PO but wasn't sure until after I changed out my R/R with one from Duaneage.
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Where is “never had one ever” on the poll?

Comment

bruuummp............

Comment

I doubt Shirazdrum will get in here to vote for his. His 850 (as in "around the world on an 850 for a cause") died somewhere in Argentina. His last post says he plans to rewind it if he can get his hands on some wire.
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Stator

I have had 7 stators and 3 RR units (5 battries as well) burn on my 80 GS 750E. The first 5 where OEM replacements and got no more then 3-4 yrs of service out of them. The last stator and RR unit were from Electrexs, they lasted about 8 yrs. Now I have a new electrecsport stator and a compu fire rr unit. Time will tell.
                            sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                            1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Stator

Ah forgot to mention my bike has 54,000 miles on it and I keep all the connections clean.
                              sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                              1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Working...
                              X