building a GS500M+velorex562

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

building a GS500M+velorex562

Hello, I introduced myself here and i introduced the bike here i want to continue the story in the correct forum so here i am.

I picked up the GS500M last friday. It was sitting for more than 3 years in a shed. I payed 500€ for it. It has less than 20000km. The plan is to get it on the road, ride it this summer and mount a velorex 562 next winter.

Because i'm a little kid with a new toy i already started wrenching.

The bike did not run when i bought it. First thing i found was the tank was empty. Next thing i saw was bad fuel in the carb bowls.

So I wanted to clean the carbs. I removed the carbs from the bike. I had problems removing the cross vises from the rail. Becouse i didn't want to ruin them i stopped trying. I get the propper tools this weekend.
    But i took all 4 the carb bowls of and cleaned them. I found the general condition of the carbs ok. I mounted the bowls back.

Whilst removing the carbs i saw one bad intake boot. One part was on the carb the other part was on the engine.

Like I said I'm like a little kid and i wanted to hear the engine run I . I putted everything back and tried to start.

The engine ran only on cyl 3 and 4. I did some investigation an found no fuel in the carbbowl from cyl 1 and there was a spark on cyl 1 and 2.

There is some more work to do. I'll remove the carbs back and dismantel them complete with the proper tools.
    I already contacted (by mail) the local suzuki dealer. They don't know the GS500M type. I'll visit them next friday. I hope he can help me.

I'll try to take some pics this weekend and I'll to continue the story in this topic.

to be continued...

Not sure if you've seen this, but, you carbs should cleaned in this manner. I really, really, really, would love to get my hands on a 650M. I didn't know there was a 500M until you posted the other day. I love me some baby Kats......

Larry D
    1980 GS450S
    1981 GS450S
    2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

New rubber boots and good sealing o-rings will do wonders with these GS bikes. I don't know if you intend on having the local suzuki dealer try and fix it or not, but I have heard horror stories from 95% of people who let a shop work on their bike. Unless they are used to working on older bikes they have a high risk of doing something wrong and charging lots for it. Better to do it yourself I think.

Again that's just my 2 cents, you do what you feel is right for you.

PS I think your bike is cool

Comment

WEcome and good luck on the work. Make sure you have a shop manual and with all the knowledge on this forum you should make out just fine.
        KATANA CUSTOMS/TECH

Instagram: @rjmedia.tech, Updated more often, even from the events

Comment

@Larry D: Yes, i saw that procedure. That was the one I wanted to follow until some screws were to tight for my old screwdriver.

@Tim Tom: I'll fix the motor myself, I'll contacted the dealer to order parts.

@Katman: I have a manual from BikeCliff's website. I see there is a lot of knowledge on this forum, that was the first reason to register.

Comment

I borrowed my father in law his impact screw driver and removed all 4 intake boots. They are all crackeled and hard. I'm gonna replace them all together with the o-rings. That is what everybody is advising me and now I can inspect them better, it looks like a good idea . And i'll replace the cross screws with allenkey bolts.
            I managed to get the carbs appart. The cyl 1 carb is totally dismanteled. Most of the holes are blocked and the fuel inlet pin was stuck.
            Tomorrow i'll go shopping.

Comment

Went to the suzuki dealer and ordered the intake boots and O-rings yesterday.
              A friend of me has a shop where he sells and repairs garden machines. I helped him for several years during the busy periods. I know he has a big collection of o-rings. I went there with the dismanteld carb and he had al the o-rings i need to rebuild the carbs. He only charged me 5€.
              He also offered me to use his ultrasone machine to clean the carbs.
              Next monday is gonna be carb ultrasone and rebuild day.

Comment

Here are some pics of the bike.

Comment

Today I changed thebrake oil. You can see in the pic the old oil. Just in time .

I'm glad i followed the advice of BassCliff and waterman and change the oil first.
                  This is a 5liter can. and that wasn't all. I think some fuel was in there too.

And here are the carbs before and after the ultasone.

Some mechanic did a great job in the past. I removed the rear wheel to clean. The axle and stuff was all covered in grease.

I decided to remove the exhaust so it was easier to clean it. To my surprise the exhaust bolts came off without any effort.
                  The 4into1 with boss muffler. It looks a lot cleaner now. (no pic yet)

It was a productive day.

Comment

wouter,

If you suspect that there is fuel in the oil, check to see that the petcock (fuel tap) is working properly. You work is looking good.

Charlie G
                    sigpic
                    83 GS1100g
                    2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie G View Post
                      wouter,

If you suspect that there is fuel in the oil, check to see that the petcock (fuel tap) is working properly. You work is looking good.

Charlie G
                      Thanks for the advise.
                      Yes, i checked the petcock when i took the tank off. There is now 5liter fuel in the tank and it is not leaking with the petcock in "on".
                      I think the seller left it too long on "pri" when trying to start the motor.
                      Now i know how he managed to get the tank comletely empty .

Comment

I finished the carbs today.
                        Ready for the summer.

I know, some parts were not mounted when i took the pics, but they are now.

Comment

Good work. Will be watching with interest. I really like the smaller Katana's.

Comment

This morning i picked up the intake boots, o-rings and some other stuff i ordered.
                            I mounted everything and tried to start.
                            After some starting and putting the petcock in different positions (there is only little fuel in the tank) it ran. I rode it out of the garage.
                            It was idling around 3000rpm. It took a minute before i realised i could adjust that.
                            So i set the idle to a normal rpm.
                            That was it for today.
                            Can't wait till tomorrow, maybe a little tour around the block

Comment

I was wondering how you were doing on the bike. Glad to hear it started up for you. I hope there sunny skys for tomarrow.

cg
                              sigpic
                              83 GS1100g
                              2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                              X