1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983_GS750E - Rebuild

Well I am contemplating what I really should do to this bike. It's really not in bad shape, a few scrapes and dings, some paint missing, a tear in the seat, and a rough idle, I should say no idle really, have to keep on the throttle to keep it from stalling.

Do I really need a full blown rebuild, or do I just clean her up, adjust what needs adjusting so she idles, and ride her good and hard.

The body work needs attention, tank has a couple of dings, the plastics need to be redone, scratches, and such, so this could really be all that is needed, or is it ?

I know it will need for sure, new tires, brake pads, brake lines, oil, filter, and some good elbow grease to get all the areas nice and clean, the exhaust has a few dings, but seeing on how someone has fixed up theirs, I will try to do that as well, and then give it a coat of paint, and polish up the can......

So here are some pictures as she sits now, I will let you guys be the judges and you tell me, what is the best approach to this little diamond in the rough....

OK, lots of pictures...............

Cont

and some more

Comment

Only thing that concerns me is the frame by the pipe.Pretty heavy hit by the looks of it.This http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=172203 would probably work on the pipe it'self.Doing a cycleorings kit http://cycleorings.com/ and following Nessims guide http://www.mtsac.edu/~cliff/storage/...d_Tutorial.pdf should help your carbs immensely.You can get a carb dip in Canada http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=178816 if you can take the smell.
      A better place to start that a lot of use get so have some fun with it.
      BTW where in Canada are you? KPH speedo gives you away.guessing Ontario with that snow blower at the ready
      Last edited by Guest; 10-29-2011, 05:25 PM.

Comment

SVSooke - yup busted,,,,in Ontario, just outside of the GTA

yes the frame was hit hard by the PO, I never got around to fixing it, but it has never gotten worse, knocked off and broke the bottom left cover as well, I got lucky years ago and found a replacement.

That frame portion, I was thinking of cutting out and welding in a new portion, or weld up a piece of U channel, and run a good bead, grind smooth and paint, maybe tack one on the other side just to make it look even....

I was looking at getting the pipe off first, and start there, at least get it rounded out, and painted/polished, Thanks for the link for the tool, I followed your build and saw it there as well, it just might work.

The O ring kit, looks good, this I can order, even if I don't do anything else, I see he has the SS nuts/screws as well, might get those

The pdf for the carb rebuild is excellent, will print that off, it will come in handy

The carbs on the outside look clean, but I am sure the insides are well gummed up, so the carb dip sounds like a good idea

Thanks for the tips so far....

I have a problem.............I can't find the key to the bike.........I can't remove the seat, or the gas cap,,,,,good thing I did not lock the steering.......crap

Comment

I think there is a key number on the bottom of the ignition switch. The carbs will need a good cleaning as per the tutorial. The bike doesn't look too bad, that yosh pipe must sound nice. Go for the restoration, I will be following your progress.

Comment

I will keep on looking for the key, but good to know, on how to get the number so I can get one, but from where ?

Ohhh and yes the Yosh pipe....it's LOUD....LOL

Comment

i am worried by your frame, that s a big ding right there...i would not let it this way.

like the others said, do not hesitate, go for the carb first.
              the tutorial SVSooke suggested is awesome indeed!

take care of the pipes.

Do you want to go for a full rebuild or a thorough cleanup?
              i think it depends on your budget and will, in the case of your bike, both are interesting opportunities.

In my humble opinion

Comment

Originally posted by Etcheberri View Post
                i am worried by your frame, that s a big ding right there...i would not let it this way.

like the others said, do not hesitate, go for the carb first.
                the tutorial SVSooke suggested is awesome indeed!

take care of the pipes.

Do you want to go for a full rebuild or a thorough cleanup?
                i think it depends on your budget and will, in the case of your bike, both are interesting opportunities.

In my humble opinion
                yup I have concerns on the frame, but it has been this way since I have had it, but it should be fixed, maybe a new frame, or a better one, and I just swap everything over to it.....

and your other comment, has me in thoughts as well, I don't know which to do.....budget is not really a problem, I have set aside for now about 800 bucks for the bike, the will is there as well, just the decision on what to actually do.....

and thanks for your opinion.....

Comment

Look on ebay for your key code when you locate it. You may need to take your ignition out and look underneath it. Here's a seller but there are more if you look: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Suzuki-GS400-...#ht_1089wt_905

Comment

found the key.....

Found the key.......

For some strange reason it was in my younger son's room, amongst pens and pencil's......

don't ask, I really have no idea why it would have been there......

@Patman......thanks for the link, had I not found it, that would have been the route to take....

Comment

So I have started taking off bits and pieces, well the plastics, the front fairing, the gas tank, front fender, and I am going to tackle the rear portion, want to sand all of this stuff down, and get a coat of primer on it all, and store it for the time being, until I figure out my paint scheme/color and so on.

I will take some pictures latter tonight, of what I have done so far, and yes I am taking pics as I go and remove things so I know how they were and what screws went where

But I do have one question, and might as well ask it now, and get an answer, as it will help in how I proceed.

I am going to take the carbs off, and do a full rebuild this is a given, and when I go to put it back on, I would like to use those pod things for the air filters, and get rid of the stock air box, and all that.

Is this a good idea, a bad one, and am I looking for more work, will I need to change something on the carbs (jetting) or will all stock items work as they should ?

Remember the bike all ready has a 4-1 Yoshimura pipe on it, this will be reused, as I hope to get the dings out of it....painted and polished as best as I can.

Thanks

DAn

Comment

hi gatekeeper,

I havnt done this myself but ive read it on numerous threads. By majority of opinins keep away from pods. The aribox excerts just the right amount of resistance to keep the ratio fuel:air perfect from factory. When you change to pods there is much less air resitance so you will have to rejet, which is to change the main jet in your carbs. With alot of patience and the right tools (ie a carb sync tool) you can pull it off, but usually you are just better off leaving it stock.

the yosh pipe is another issue, you also need to rejet if you change the pipes, since yours came like this, it is very likely the carbs are already jetted for this pipe.

there are some people here that know alot more than I do on this subject, so you might as well just wait till they come over.

Comment

Thanks drivera84

a lot of what you say I have read as well, but since the Yosh pipe is already on, I figured the next good thing is to put on some pods

Now I don't know who did the pipe, or if any jetting was done, this I will find out once I pull the carbs apart and have a look at what is in them, the bike as it sits now has a hard time to idle, it always did since I had it, even after many years ago I took it to a mechanic to sync, it really didn't help.

I will keep reading and waiting for more input on this before I go with the pod option

Comment

OHHH

and a few pics of my slow tear down, to a hope full rebuild

minus the fairing and headlight

got these off, ready to start sanding down...

I even washed out the inside of the light, it was dull and dingy, now it shines like a mirror as it should

And I found these 2 just hanging, I have no idea where they go and I don't see anything else not connected.....

this is next to come off, I have a few of the nuts and bolts off, but something is still holding it, I will take a look at it better tonight, I removed the 6 small screws on the bottom, the plate holder, but still it's holding on....lol

sorry didn't take a pic of all the nuts and bolts I removed, this is a before shot, so I know where things were...

If there are any specific pictures I should be taking or posting as I go along on this rebuild, please let me know, hopefully others can use them for their projects as well
                            Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Well did a bit more tonight, not a lot as it Halloween and had to give out the treats to the little ones, man there were a lot of them this year.....kids that is

Tomorrow if time permits, I will take the carbs out, the air box, plug up the holes and power wash the rest of the bike, try to get off as much crud and oil and grease as I can, actually might do that before I take the carbs off, less chance of getting water into the motor,,,that would not be a good thing, I don't think it will hurt any of the electrical as there is no battery and it will be sitting in the garage, should have plenty of time to dry out over the next few months....

and a few pics of the progress

it's too bad the 3 tabs at the top are broken, not sure on how to fix those ?

gaining access to the carbs and air box, should be easy now to get them out....soon

getting naked more and more...

Too bad the other side of the tank has a ding in it, but it all needs to be sanded and prepped for painting anyways

I will take apart the tank petcock and fuel sending unit as well, have to do some work on the tank dents and it needs to be sanded and prepped for painting as well
                              Last edited by Guest; 10-31-2011, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X