X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bgmart450
    Originally posted by fastpakr
    Vaguely related...
    I ordered a replacement for the Dunlop K627 on the back of mine today after about 4000 miles, but that was primarily due to my failure to keep it properly inflated. The replacement is a Bridgestone S11R, a dual compound that was $57 from MAW (significantly higher from all other sources I checked). I'll post more once I receive it and get it mounted.
    I'd like to hear about those myself, I was considering S11's too.
    FYI, I've been running the S11's now for a few weeks and have nothing but praise for them. Compared to what was on there, the traction is significantly improved and the handling is very predictable. I'll post more once I have a few thousand miles on them.

Comment

Here's an update on my Avon AM18 Super Venom tires. I now have over 5000 miles on the tires and the rear is about shot, maybe another 500 miles and the center tread grooves will be gone. The front is wearing great and should be good for several thousand more miles.

I've done two 1000 mile weekend rides recently and the extra weight of soft saddle bags and long distance high speed riding seems to have accelerated the wear on the rear. The tires performed exceptionally well in both dry and very wet conditions and provided excellent handling during some very spirited riding on the Skyline Drive and Blue Ridge Parkway this past week.

These tire are not the cheapest available but are very reasonable considering the mileage they provide. I'll definitely stay with these tires.

Comment

5 years later...

Any long term updates from anyone?

I'm about to put a new set of d404's on my '81 450

Comment

I went through a set in about 4000 miles on my old 850. Not a high mileage tire.
          sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
          2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Same here. I was lucky to get 7,000 out of them on a stock '79 GS750.
            Same as the Continentals.
            Then I tried the Bridgestone Spitfires!
            Now, I have been using the Battleax BT-45's with the same success.
            Almost 8,500 in the rear and about 20-22,000 on the front.
            On the 1000's and 1100's.

Daniel

Comment

I've similar experiences with the D404's - decent grip, stable in a straight line, moderate wear. I tend to use these on bikes I don't push too hard as they are only H rated.

Unlike some of the other tires, I feel more confident on these than some of the other brands (Michelin being one). I prefer the road feel over the BT45's. But they sure don't last long.

Comment

I run D404s on my GSs and have for quite a while. For the money, they perform very well and are predictable.

Comment

Originally posted by jeff.saunders View Post
                  I tend to use these on bikes I don't push too hard as they are only H rated.
                  If I remember correctly, "H-rated" is good for sustained speeds of 130 mph.

Just how often are you sustaining 130, but probably more important, WHERE??

Last edited by Steve; 04-27-2011, 06:13 PM.
                  sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm with you on that, Steve and Jeff. Speed ratings don't mean much of anything to me on my vintage bikes that I don't see any reason to be running at warp speed. An H rating will do just fine.

Comment

My 404s are running pretty nice but of course I'm still a newbie at this. I'll keep my eyes on the tread and mileage though. However, I'm only comfortable doing 70 - 75 mph right now.
                      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Avons.....

Comment

Originally posted by herostar View Post
                          5 years later...

Any long term updates from anyone?

I'm about to put a new set of d404's on my '81 450
                          Jeez, talk about grave digging...

Don't know why I never checked back in, but I ended up pretty unhappy with the 404s.

Lo these many years later, I've tried many other tires. I came to realize that the 404's change in handling habits was just plain unacceptable. I believe it was a few weeks before I got around to mounting up those 491s, (sadly, NLA in 17" rears) and the 404s were positively evil before I finally peeled them off.

Get Avon AM26 RoadRiders and ride happy.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                            Jeez, talk about grave digging...

Don't know why I never checked back in, but I ended up pretty unhappy with the 404s.

Lo these many years later, I've tried many other tires. I came to realize that the 404's change in handling habits was just plain unacceptable. I believe it was a few weeks before I got around to mounting up those 491s, (sadly, NLA in 17" rears) and the 404s were positively evil before I finally peeled them off.

Get Avon AM26 RoadRiders and ride happy.
                            Preach ON Brutha Brian!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                              Avons.....

Yeah, if ya enjoy riding on dry rotted tires.
                              I dont..
                              sigpic

82 GS850
                              78 GS1000
                              04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                              .................________-|___\____
                              ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                                If I remember correctly, "H-rated" is good for sustained speeds of 130 mph.

Just how often are you sustaining 130, but probably more important, WHERE??

One bike I own is 1200cc's and turbocharged. That will get to 130mph before most bikes hit 100mph. I run GT501's on that bike. Before that some very nice sticky Pirelli tires that lasted well less than 3000 miles.

BWRINGER - I noticed with the D404 setting the tire pressure to what the bike likes is crucial. I tend to run the D404 a little softer than the OEM specs suggest (32 front, 35 rear). Most of my experience with the D404 is with Kawasaki 900/1000 motorcycles, although I do have a set on one of my GS1000's.

Comment

Working...
                                X