Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Emgo Bar End Mirrors

Long term review of Emgo bar end mirrors

I can remember being annoyed with seeing my elbows in the mirrors, and the cheap replacements for the mirror I ground off when the bike nearly fell off the trailer kept moving. So, after seeing Emgo bar end mirrors on another bike (Bad Juju, I think), and TCK's Napoleons, I thought I'd try the whole bar end mirror thing. So, last fall I ordered a set.

You get what you pay for. At least relatively speaking. The Emgo mirrors are cheap, and you can tell. A stamped steel piece slides into the handlebars, and a fairly ugly galvanized hex head screw draws the bottom end of the mirror into stamped steel piece, expanding it against the inside of the handlebar. Simple, and somewhat effective. Less than elegant. They eventually worked loose so that the mirrors would rotate back at highway speed. To keep them from rotating again, I tightened them until was afraid I would strip something out.

The next point is the quality of the glass. Not very much quality here either. It's just plain wavy, so the image distorts as you move your head back and forth. On top of this, the glass is not convex, so you have a limited field of view. This coupled with the mirrors being far out to the sides causes you to have to move your head quite a bit to get view of something that isn't right in line with where the mirror is aimed. A definite negative impact on situational awareness. On the slab, I use the rear pegs and lean into the wind. These are even harder to use in that position.

The camera decided that the round mirror was a face, and set the focus on the image of the neighbor's house in the mirror. This causes the Emgo mirror to appear fuzzy.

The last point against the Emgo mirrors is that they are very easy to bump out of alignment. I had to adjust them almost every time I rode. There is a feature that allows you to rotate the mirror in to either tuck it in, or swing the mirror down underneath the handlebar. This adjustment has several stops along the way, but the stops are not at all positive. Once the mirror is roughly in position, I had to push it against the downwind side of the stop to put into the alignment that the wind was going to put it into anyway.

The round mirror I just mounted today. I bought it from jwhelan65 here on the forums. Thanks Joe! With the larger field of view, and being mounted a bit more in front of me, I don't need to move nearly as much to see what I want to see. Around town, an accasional glance at the mirrors is all I need to maintain awareness of what's behind me. Vehicles in neighboring lanes only one car length behind me are visible. On the slab, I just lean an inch or two over the get a good view. No need to duck.

As bar end mirrors

Well, there's was no more problem of elbows occluding the view behind me. Plus, I ride with no fairing or windshield in the warm months, so I liked how there was even less stuff in front of me. I like the look of bar end mirrors on a bike, too. With quality glass (good field of view) and mountings, I'm sure I'd love bar end mirrors. Next time I see TCK's Napoleon's, I'll have a look at the view. One other thing: with the bar end mirrors, it takes slightly more effort to throw a wave out there. No biggie.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Bar end mirrors in general-

You articulated my own comparison very well. I have some bar end mirrors collecting dust in a box for some of these reasons. (I'm considering putting them on my bicycle.)
    No wonder they never become common on new bikes.
    "Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
    1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
    1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
    1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

I used Napoleons for a few weeks (before I crashed the bike) and liked them very well ..

I have a big problem with the arms in the mirror

Comment

I swapped the cheap bolt's for an SS's from Fastenal. They do tend to be affected by wind wash at anything over 80-90mph, so you have to readjust after a hard run. I don't have a problem with the glass quality as I'm only interested in close proximity vehicles. Never felt like I was moving my head around that much more with these but I'll check that on the next ride. I'm sure the Napoleons are better for field of view and vibration issues but the EMGO's aren't any worse than some stock mirror's for vibration. If you have the arm in the mirror issue then these will do the job, if you chose to go with the long stem standard mounts to try to address that problem then I'd have to guess the vibration problems would be worse than bar end type.

My end feeling is they work well enough for me, the price is right, they don't make the bike look as "moped-ish" as some stock type and until I can afford Napoleons they will do.
        "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

I have both EMGOs on one bike, and Napoleons on my 1100ES. there is a HUGE difference. The Napoleons dont vibrate NEARLY as much as the cheapies. It also has to do with how you intalled them. If you just used those crap metal spread mollys that came with the EMGOs, thats part of your problem. I bought some cheap bar end weights from the local plastic fantastic mod shop down the street, gutted them, and used the rubber inserts for cushion. Helped a TON. But, in quality, you really DO get what you pay for.

Comment

On the subject of mirrors and vibration...

If you compare the handlebar fiches, you'll notice that the G model shafties came with these nifty anti-vibration rubber mounts for the mirrors.

The GL models did not, probably because no one could ride the bike farther than 100 feet with the factory ape hangers and never got around to noticing the fuzzy mirrors. Or something like that.

Anyway, these vibration mounts are about $12 each

Part #
            56700-45400

Sadly, the factory chrome mounts are NLA, so the new parts are a flat black finish. But they sure make the mirrors nice and clear on any model.

Just FYI, they don't really do much on a v-twin -- I tried a set of these cushions on my VX800 and the mirrors flopped around even worse. They do a nice job damping out four cylinder buzz.

I have to move my head a bit to see around my shoulders, but I'm used to it and I'd be forever whacking stuff with bar-ends.

Also, the stock mirrors are still available from Suzuki for most models. They're a little spendy ($50+) but they're VERY nice quality and much heavier than the Emgo cheapies. And heavy is good.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

You get what you pay for. Halcyon mirrors from the UK can't be beaten.

Positives - They're stainless, look great, never need adjusting (lock with allen key) and can be put in numerous positions.

Negatives - need allen key to adjust them (can be a problem if a friend borrows your bike), they are expensive!!

The absolute best mirrors I've ever owned.

Comment

I have a pair on my bike. I replaced the spring for the détente mechanism with a solid spacer and a lot of the vibration and hard to adjust problems went away.

Comment

I just got a pair of Napoleons from a member here on the board and looking at the throttle bar end the plastic from the throttle assembly covers all but a small hole about the size of a bic pen. Should I just cut enough of that away to be able to use the mirrors without the throttle sticking, or is there a simpler solution?

Thanks for the Help!

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Imreallycrazy View Post
                    I just got a pair of Napoleons from a member here on the board and looking at the throttle bar end the plastic from the throttle assembly covers all but a small hole about the size of a bic pen. Should I just cut enough of that away to be able to use the mirrors without the throttle sticking, or is there a simpler solution?

Thanks for the Help!

Ben
                    You will have to modify the throttle tube, if it covers the end of the handlebar. I like to use a Dremel, but you can whittle them with a utility knife too.
                    Dogma
                    --

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                    '80 GS850 GLT
                    '80 GS1000 GT
                    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                      You will have to modify the throttle tube, if it covers the end of the handlebar. I like to use a Dremel, but you can whittle them with a utility knife too.
                      Why can ya just slide the entire assembly up the bar a half inch or so?
                      sigpic

82 GS850
                      78 GS1000
                      04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                      .................________-|___\____
                      ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Originally posted by Octain View Post
                        Why can ya just slide the entire assembly up the bar a half inch or so?
                        We're talking about the end of the throttle tube covering the end of the handlebar. Until you cut the end off the throttle tube, it will only go so far over the bar.
                        Dogma
                        --

--
                        '80 GS850 GLT
                        '80 GS1000 GT
                        '01 ZRX1200R

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                          We're talking about the end of the throttle tube covering the end of the handlebar. Until you cut the end off the throttle tube, it will only go so far over the bar.
                          Ok, I gotcha. My bike has an open tube already. Didnt know it came with a closed end, my bad.

I ordered a set from a dude on ebay and instead of using the part that went inside the bar I removed that peice and bolted it directly to the outside of the bar on the very edge.
                          17 bux, they dont move and look decent.
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Sound good, thanks for the help!

Ben

Comment

Anyone try the RK Ken Sean round bar end mirrors?
                              I have a set of the shelf I'll try as soon as the bike runs..
                              Out of the box they look good but I'll probably replace the hex bolt with a stainless button head cap screw.

Comment

Working...
                              X