Slime tire repair kit is awesome!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slime tire repair kit is awesome!

Ok so it's a Bandit that I'm using this review for, but that's still a GS.. GSF1200.. close enough.

So last weekend I took my Bandit down to New Hampshire and drag raced it, had a great time and stayed Saturday night at my sister's place in Franklin NH. Sunday it rained so I just rode back in my girl friend's car and figured I would get the bike in the middle of the week when I had some time off.

I went and picked up the bike on Thursday. My brother in law told me the tire was flat and I laughed at him thinking that he was just teasing me. When I walked up to the bike I noticed that it did indeed have a flat rear tire. It was 9pm at this point though so most places were closed and I had a training I had to be back at work in the morning for. So I couldn't just wait until Friday to buy a new tire.

I pumped up the tire and found a small hole that was about 2 mm wide and was spraying the air right out of it. It took about 3-4 min for it to lose about 1 psi so I pumped it all the way up and rode it the 5 miles over to Tilton NH's Walmart. I bought a Slime tire repair kit and after adding the slime and pumping the tire back up and waiting 15 min, no change in pressure.

So I headed out with my girl friend behind me in her car. After about 10 miles I checked the tire again. No change! I checked it after 40 miles and it went up 1 psi due to the tire warming up. I checked it after 100 miles and then again when I got home 156 miles later. It had started out at 36 psi and ended at 37. It still had 36 psi today and it's Saturday!

It was about 40 degrees out and I didn't read if temperature will effect slime or not, but I was planning on changing the tire anyway. I just needed the bike to get back home. I am sure that my local shop is not going to be happy when they pop open a tire with slime all through it, but it cleans up easily with water and that's the least of my worries anyway.

Bottom line is that I will be putting a 12v outlet under my seat and keeping a slime kit with me when I got on rides from now on. I don't know how well it works on large holes from nails or anything, but they claim it works perfectly well on them. This gave me a lot more confidence than riding around with a patch in my tire though.

Or you could have brought a self tapper that would suit and have the same effect. With no mess and if you wanted to patch the tyre later on you can. Try patching a tyre with slime used in it and we/they will laugh at you.

Comment

You wont like it when you have to change the tire... i used slime once - what a mess when i replaced the tire.

Comment

Originally posted by sleepy View Post
        You wont like it when you have to change the tire... i used slime once - what a mess when i replaced the tire.
        Stuff works pretty good, but your absolutely correct about the stinking mess when you change the tire....ohhhhhhh the stinkin mess LOL

Comment

I guess that's why they call it SLIME!
          Works, but take it to the dealer you hate to change the tire, next time.

Comment

Originally posted by gsgeezer View Post
            I guess that's why they call it SLIME!
            Works, but take it to the dealer you hate to change the tire, next time.

Some dealers will STOP whe they find the slime.
            As in broke the bead and slime starts to ooze or shoot out.........stop right there and hand you the tire as is.

Yea it is good stuff until it's time to change the tire.

Bring a case of beer with you when it's time to change em!
            Keith
            -------------------------------------------
            1980 GS1000S, blue and white
            2015Triumph Trophy SE

Ever notice you never see a motorcycle parked in front of a psychiatrist office?

Comment

Why on earth wouldn't you just use the "sticky string" style tire plugs instead of that foul Slime crap?

Faster, easier, no mess, no bribery needed. And far more effective and reliable. Sometimes tire sealer goop works, but usually it doesn't.

Sticky string tire plug kits are cheap in any gas station and extremely reliable.

Slime does market a very nice little air pump.
              1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
              2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
              2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
              Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Low speed

I have slime in my ATV tires, put it in when new tires are put on every time.. But, on a high speed tire? And the plug system weakens tire structure. The best thing to do folks is tear it down, inspect the puncture (if toward the sidewall, or too big, new tire time), and patch, or if tube type, replace tube... Don't get me wrong, the slime may work fine, and you may get away with a plug, but when I am rolling down the road at 75MPH with the wife on the back, pulling a trailer? Maybe for a temp fix...

Comment

Even worse is the fix-a-flat in the can. Once it's in a tire, the tire can never be patched (Car tire)

Comment

After working at a dealer, I will never, ever put slime in my tires on anything. ever. I know its already been said, but it sucks when its time to change the tire. Ive always used the tire plugs in my own bikes, and seen others use them and have never had issues.

Comment

Working...
                    X