Super Series R/R Market Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Super Series R/R Market Survey

I found this commercially avaliable unit which seems to do everything I was looking for including fit on my ED (with a little coaxing).

See install to 83 GS1100ED

COMPUFIRE_SERIES R/R INSTALL THREAD

SHUNT_vs_SERIES_RR_Compare_Tutorial

OK Boys and Girls the
    Quote:
    CompuFire Regulator for 40 Amp 3-Phase Charging Systems
    Dennis Kirk Part #: 209632

Manufacturer Part #: 55402
    Your Price: $194.99

Low Price Guarantee (details)

is 3.75"x2.5"x1.25"

*** THIS IS PRELIMINARY MARGET SURVEY ONLY ***
    *** IM NOT TAKING ORDERS **** Please just respond/post to this Survey with comments if you like

I have been working on a new Rectifier/Regulator design which should solve many of the problems we currently have with the GS charging systems. I'm calling it (for the moment anyway) a

Super Series Rectifier Regulator (SSRR).
    It is a series regulator design which is fundamentally different to almost all of the shunt series regulators out there. Will work for any non alternator design. Last I looked there are about 27 Chinese manufactures making shunt R/R's for very cheap. I'm sure that is where Electro sport and Rick's get theirs from.

It should be a drop in replacement for any OEM or FET style R/R's. I'm planning on making it a 6 wire design with a sense wire like the Honda. I'm going to minimize the current draw on the sense wire, so you should be able to do a direct battery hook up (that is the plan anyway). Will not have the total power capacity of the FET based regulator but should be close to 220(max) Watts or 15 (max) amps at 14.5V. Normal GS is demand is about 13 amps at 14.5 so should satisfy most all needs unless you are planning on a waffle iron on the back of your GS.

Ok so why should you switch to a SSRR from any of the other shunt regulators that are around.

#1 It will NEVER burn up your stator AGAIN. If you have a good stator it will last longer than you will. No insulator break down, no rotor magnet break down. Fixed once and for all no matter how hard you ride.

#2 If you dyno your bike you will likely gain about 1.0 hp at 10K RPM (most 750cc and above bikes). Any 4 cyl bike should see similar improvements. Improvement is related to how much power the stator is capable; smaller bikes usually are a little smaller but this represents a larger percentage of what the smaller cc bike has available.. It could be more but I don't want to go too far out on a limb. I plan to do some testing at Bruce's at the 5th Annual Western States Rally with a working prototype. I should be able to do back to back comparisons. This is especially true if you are using an "increase" output aftermarket stator .

#3 Lower engine operating temperature; no data but but my oil sprayer lowered my ED by about 40 degF if that is any indication.

#4 Better gas mileage ;no data but preliminary estimates you can figure at least 10% increase MPG driving at above 60 mph.

I'm in the process of designing the circuit and the packaging and considering different options for doing a limited production run. So this is to guage interest.

In my mind this is well worth:

$100 shipped with a 1 year no questions asked guarantee**.

**(fine print) Send it back in a flat rate box for $100 paypal refund

Unless I can design it this way, I would not do this. The plan will be to have a working prototype by early July for the rally. Assuming all testing works out, I'll do a limited PCB/CASE pre-production run for some people to try them out for a few months. I'd then be ready to do a moderate size production run (ready for the 2011 riding season) which would be at the above $100 shipped price. I'm trying to guage what moderate size might look like.

SHUNT_vs_SERIES_RR_Compare_Tutorial
    Wow Yes, I'll take half a dozen; greatest thing since sliced bread
    4.65%
    Sounds Great; I'll take ONE
    58.14%
    Hum, Sounds good if Buddies works out I'll try one.
    25.58%
    Next time I over haul my GS, I'll think about it.
    6.98%
    NO WAY I love my HONDA R/R
    4.65%

The poll is expired.

Last edited by posplayr; 07-31-2015, 03:41 AM.

Hell, Id give it a shot... One question *I* have it are you going to do the smaller stator sizes as well for the smaller displacement/older bikes?? If so, I would be in for 2 or 3..

Comment

Im in, just let me know via PM when you are ready.
      Marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        Hell, Id give it a shot... One question *I* have it are you going to do the smaller stator sizes as well for the smaller displacement/older bikes?? If so, I would be in for 2 or 3..
        Josh,
        Should be one R/R size fits all stators OEM and Aftermarket (e.g. Electrosport, Rcks, or Kawasaki). Unless you do something unusal and start exceeding 300 watts. With this there would be no need to put in a smaller stator. Low RPM performance should be on par if not a little better with Honda, but not as good as FET based. Once you are above 2K RPM load from the stator will be much less.
        Jim

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
          Im in, just let me know via PM when you are ready.
          Marc

Will do, but will be later in the year. Here is a related thread on what got me started down this path.

Comment

I'm in.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Josh,
              Should be one R/R size fits all stators OEM and Aftermarket (e.g. Electrosport, Rcks, or Kawasaki). Unless you do something unusal and start exceeding 300 watts. With this there would be no need to put in a smaller stator. Low RPM performance should be on par if not a little better with Honda, but not as good as FET based. Once you are above 2K RPM load from the stator will be much less.
              Jim
              Except for the fact that the rotor for the smaller statored bikes wont fit over the ones that go in your 1100... Unless im missing something in the design?? Will these be substantially smaller than the 1100 stockers?

EDIT: OHHH Im an idiot.. I see now... I thought you were making up new STATORS...DUH.. Sometimes I read too fast for my brain

Ok, STILL in

Comment

I've got new aftermarket Honda-type (sense wire) units on my 700ES and 1000G. The 1100E still has the OEM style unit on it, which I'm sure will fail me eventually, sooner rather than later.

I'll take one.
                sigpic

SUZUKI:
                1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Sounds good and be down for one, maybe two by that time. I like my Honda R/R but mo bettah is mo bettah.

Comment

At least 1 for me.

Comment

V-Stroms have the same charging system problems... if you can come up with a higher-capacity design for my fuel-injected beast, I'm in.

I'm a definite maybe on the GS.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                        V-Stroms have the same charging system problems... if you can come up with a higher-capacity design for my fuel-injected beast, I'm in.

I'm a definite maybe on the GS.
                        They still using a stator in those new fangled things??? Sheesh you'd think they can pony up the duckets to put alternators on the Busa and Gixxers they could have done the dual sport riders the same favor.

Comment

Put me down for one.

Comment

Expand yer market ? My friend needs one for his Bombardier Outlander quad.
                            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
                              Expand yer market ? My friend needs one for his Bombardier Outlander quad.
                              What I have been finding is that except for HD series regulators (like Cycle Electric) , there are no metric moto series regulators

I have found at least 3 manufacturers that claim to make Series R/R's for Harley Davisions. The most prominent is

Cycle Electric

There are various single phase and 3 phase HD generator configurations (much worse than Suzuki), but the 600 series do seem to be high current (20+ amp) 3 phase

Quote:
                              CE-200, CE-300 CE-400 and CE-600 Series Rectifying Regulators for use with permanent magnet alternators.
                              A more efficient approach to rectifying regulators.
                              To control voltage on Harley-Davidson alternators other rectifier regulators dump current to ground. This causes maximum stator current and temperature at all times. Cycle Electric rectifying regulators block current to control voltage. This reduces stator current resulting in lower temperature and less drag on the motor which means more efficient operation. The largest and most noticeable benefit is a smoother charge to the battery. This means less battery maintenance and longer battery life.

The 600 series is for 3Phase

Quote:
                              Cycle Electric Inc CE-600 series regulators are designed for use three phase stators.To determine if you have a three phase system count the number of wires from the stator to the regulator. The three phase system will have three wires. The single phase will have two.

Comment

Working...
                              X