FedEx/address issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FedEx/address issue

I doubt anyone will have this issue, but it's a heads up in case you have a similar situation. This is half a cautionary tale and half a vent of frustration too so forgive the anger please.

I ordered an impact from HF on the 16th this month and it was shipped out, tracking # issued and all that. So I check the tracking on it and the anticipated delivery date is 11 days away. Kind of ridiculous if you ask me, but I grin and bear it. Well, the date of delivery (the 27th) rolls around and I find out that the package is handed off to USPS and they boomerang my driver BACK to HF for inability to deliver. Well, the problem is that I am going to school so to save some tuition money, I changed my address to my aunt's place since it's in district, but had the driver shipped to where the bike is, in a different town. Well, the USPS normally would forward any mail in my name to that address, but since this is a FedEx package, the forwarding didn't occur.

This is not Harbor Freights fault and I am not saying anything bad about them here. I called them, asked for a refund instead and they gave it to me without a fight. I just didn't feel like waiting for the driver to get back to HF (which was likely another 10-11 days) and then wait all that time over again. In the future however, I realize I will not be shipping anything through FedEx if I am given the option. If all they do is ship via the post office anyway, I will deal with UPS or the post office themselves. I got my o-rings and gaskets via post office no prob, despite the address issue.

Long story short, be wary of shipping address issues if you have a change of address form out there. As I said, this is probably a one off deal and no one else will have it, but if by change it saves someone a month of waiting for an $8 tool, than it serves a purpose.

Where in Michigan are you or where is the bike? PM me if you'd like.

Dale
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I am living in Bay City and the bike is being kept out in Fairgrove, about 20 mins east of here. I've got a garage here in Bay City, but all the good tools are in Fairgrove, (air compressor and all that) so the bike is there while I fix it up.

Comment

Too far to drive... I can post mine to you and you can mail it back to me if you'd like. or, some of the local auto parts carry them for not much money. an auto parts store is where I got mine from.
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I'm just going to go pick one up locally. Even if I pay triple the price HF had it for I'd be happy at this point. Thanks though Rusty.

Comment

Speaking more widely, the first problem is that too many vendors do not specify or do not allow you to choose a delivery service. The second problem is the discount shipping aggregators that do not make the handoffs correctly. HF's web site has always had very expensive shipping.

Glad their customer service took care of you, anyway!

FWIW, I have one of the HF "Earthquake" 1/2" drive impacts, and I love it. Scary power, and VERY well made. Whatever you're working on, it moves or it breaks with this bad momma. I have a nice Sears impact that I often use instead simply because it has less power and won't break as much stuff.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Fedex doesn't automatically reroute packages. The recipient or shipper would have to request a reroute. In your case, if I'm understanding correctly, USPS was ultimately responsible for delivering your package. They will attempt to deliver to the address that is on the package. I don't think that the USPS is allowed to reroute packages that are received from Fedex. Fedex doesn't automatically hand off packages to USPS either. It depends on what kind of shipping arrangements that are offered by the shipper.
              Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2011, 09:22 PM.

Comment

Fedex sucks, they lost my dogs wheelchair.

Comment

Any time there's forwarding involved, you are open to problems.

Both UPS (Mail Innovations) and Fedex (Smart Post) have similar programs where they haul packages across country, and inject them into the last leg of the post office delivery process. These are usually a cheaper option for shippers, but delay delivery at least half a day on average (that means roughly 50% of the packages arrive late...). We'd looked at both of these, but the delays are significant enough for us to avoid them at this time.

Additionally, you may not know Fedex handles the vast majority of the Post Office Priority Mail already when air transport is involved - it's all behind the scene.

Comment

Originally posted by Clone View Post
                    Fedex sucks, they lost my dogs wheelchair.
                    wat.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
                    X